House Price Crash Forum

Best Budget Smartphone Of 2013?

pl1

HOLA441

Thought it was time I joined the SP revolution, was wondering what was out there. I wouldn't use it a lot, mainly for texts, bit of browsing (train times) not enough to justify an S4 or maybe even not an S3. What's the best budget model as of 2013? Blackberry? Samsung?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Thought it was time I joined the SP revolution, was wondering what was out there. I wouldn't use it a lot, mainly for texts, bit of browsing (train times) not enough to justify an S4 or maybe even not an S3. What's the best budget model as of 2013? Blackberry? Samsung?

Go into a shop, see what you're comfortable with. What's comfortable to carry and to use? Be sure to try something with a miniature qwerty keyboard from Nokia or Blackberry (the keyboards from HTC or Samsung are sick jokes by comparison). Unfortunately even Nokia and Blackberry are not what they used to be: you'll probably find only Nokia Asha (a cheapo not-smart phone, but might still be a good choice if you don't want GPS/satnav or a big app store) and a limited selection of Blackberries.

Best phone I ever had was a Nokia E71, but unfortunately its successors are a big let-down. Nicest to use in the Blackberry range are the Bold, but they're too fat to be comfy to carry, as well as expensive. A cheap Blackberry Curve is a relatively good choice in today's market.

Also bear in mind battery life. A phone that has to be recharged every bloomin' day is a waste of space.

HOLA443

My wife liked my S2, but didn't want a £ contract so she bought a s/h Galaxy Ace2 from CEX and fitted used a Sim only contract. £100 with a year warranty for the phone.

Agreed, I've got the older version and it's fine for what the OP needs.

HOLA444

My S2 coming up on 2 years old and is perfect, despite me dropping it many times :rolleyes: - I've been offered an S3 but I'm going Sim only and keeping the S2 (I have a spare, they accidentally sent two out)

Ditto. Nothing out there to make me upgrade from the S2 and I like being on giffgaff.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Nokia Lumia 620. £150 or less on PAYG.

A friend of mine got the Lumia 800 - which is Windows Phone 7.5 as opposed to Windows 8 - for £100 a few months back - found it via hotukdeals. He uses giffgaff £10 a month on it which is about 300 minutes, unlimited texts and a gig of internet. Good choice.

Here you go - £100 at Tesco. A very solid phone and comes with Nokia sat nav. Cannot be upgraded to Windows 8 though but who gives a feck.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nokia-lumia-800-black-tesco-instore-100-1500511

Bunch of other Nokia Windows phones here:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=lumia

HOLA447

A friend of mine got the Lumia 800 - which is Windows Phone 7.5 as opposed to Windows 8 - for £100 a few months back - found it via hotukdeals. He uses giffgaff £10 a month on it which is about 300 minutes, unlimited texts and a gig of internet. Good choice.

Here you go - £100 at Tesco. A very solid phone and comes with Nokia sat nav. Cannot be upgraded to Windows 8 though but who gives a feck.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nokia-lumia-800-black-tesco-instore-100-1500511

Bunch of other Nokia Windows phones here:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=lumia

Nokia Lumia 800 is a very good phone, and at £100 is an absolute bargain.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Got a second hand 32gig iphone 3gs about 6 months ago for £130 off ebaygum...Don't really like apple, but at the time was a pretty good deal...Very nearly moved to giffgaff, but 3 made me a good deal of £13 a month with unlimited data - plus I couldnt really be arsed to move networks...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I have a Samsung note 2. It is great.

Originally I just went in to the shop with an open mind but went for it and it doesn't feel large anymore.

Because of its size everything is clear. I use it for everything, would never need an ipad or whatever they are called.

It even lets you open autocad files on it. Brilliant display and great for things like iplayer, also you can sync with itunes if you had an iphone before, get music for free, drop and drag films onto it as it has a sd card inside. I have 64gb one in mine.

Everything else is small and like a toy now but then I use it for work and pay extra for that.

HOLA4418

Almost 300 quid.

P1l - £100 to £150 for either an android or a windows phone. Tenner a month on giffgaff and you are sorted.

Thanks some good ideas here. It seems you have to be fairly quick to get the hotukdeal type offers?

HOLA4419

Couple of months till my contract is up and then I'm going SIM only and keeping my iPhone 4 for as long as it lasts. I may get an iPad as a treat as I have some amazing iOS Apps that would really be better on a tablet.

Be careful of the extremely budget smartphones. If the processor is too weedy they can be laggy and less fun.

HOLA4420

I have an S2 and my sprogs have Galaxy Aces.

TBH, apart from the screen size there's bugger all difference between them that I can tell. Except about £300.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived