House Price Crash Forum
Veritas

Jeff Randall Pulls No Punches

The Telegraph article sums up beautifully what the majority of us on HPC have been saying for months. The "economic miracle" is just massive consumer debt dressed up as real wealth. Its principle driver has been HPI and I am certain its undoing will be the inevitable HPC.

The Telegraph article sums up beautifully what the majority of us on HPC have been saying for months. The "economic miracle" is just massive consumer debt dressed up as real wealth. Its principle driver has been HPI and I am certain its undoing will be the inevitable HPC.

Months? I've been slating Brown's debt-based McJob/make-job economy since NuLab's 'successful' first term.

These papers could have been saying the same things years ago.

ha! I love the term "loan abuse"!

He is spot on there - in our blame & claim culture, the profligate borrowers and spenders will be accusing the banks of irresponsible lending, considering themselves innocent (!) victims rather than complicit partners in the destruction of our national character.

It makes me want to puke sometimes.

:angry:

Oh joy of joys, you really can rely on the Telegraph to deliver the ugly truth when it matters.

As I read the ad I notice that the telegraph now use Google Ad words (so the ads are displayed in context to the page).

Adverts 1, 2 and 3 are all for companies offering mortgages to people with bad debts. I really should have clicked them (not because I want a loan, but to ensure that the advert cost them some money).

Well written article saying it as it is........the night of the long knives cometh

What sort of perverse statement is that??

The Night of the Long Knives, in June 1934, saw the wiping out of the SA's leadership and others who had angered Hitler in the recent past in Nazi Germany. After this date, the SS lead by Heinrich Himmler was to become far more powerful in Nazi Germany.

For all the power the Enabling Act gave Hitler, he still felt threatened by some in the Nazi Party. He was also worried that the regular army had not given an oath of allegiance. Hitler knew that the army hierarchy held him in disdain as he was 'only ' a corporal in their eyes. The Night of the Long Knives not only removed the SA leaders but also got Hitler the army's oath that he so needed.

Are you a Mason - drooling over the final takeover of the UK?

Just look at the language*:

clapped-out

spin machine

coming home to roost

drink-now-pay-later binge

gloomiest

bottoms thrashed

British anxiety

increasingly fretful

eroding confidence

debt

insolvencies

court orders

repossessions

business failures

interest rates ..back up

taxes ...rise even further

fuel bills

pensions crisis

jump in unemployment

"black hole"

Brown's tub-thumpers

highest-ever ..personal insolvencies

no cigar.

running out fast

dressing up the UK's finances

peddle the fiction

run out of money

jammed up against a ceiling of credit-card limits

debt-financed boom

over-stretched

being ruined.

weight of ..debt

alarming reality

distressed debtors

terrifying last resort.

Soaring unsecured credit

spiral of debt

untenable situation

bankruptcies to double

bad news

shot to pieces

horrific pension-fund deficits

pensions mess

"fool's paradise".

ghastly

liabilities..£500billion.

infuriated

shabby stitch-up

mess

lack of ideas

fantasy world

easy credit

swapped their security

beach and booze in Benidorm

culprits

shopaholics.

blame and claim,

drowning in debt

profligate wasters

"loan abuse".

delicious irony

deliberately undermined

hand-outs, benefits, subsidies and credits

enormous client class

life-wrecking

revenge

One of these days that Jeff Randall is gonna get off the fence and tell us what he really thinks! :P

After such a bombastic, unrelenting, tirade, I can almost imagine shell-shocked, NuLab, spin-doctors disorientedly fumbling for their Motos to implore Mr Randall to cease fire: after all, it is Armistice Day!

* Banks and Brown to suffer the revenge of the debtors

Edited by Sledgehead

About Labour spin doctors:

They argue, for instance, that though it's true we are witnessing the highest-ever number of personal insolvencies, that is because a change in the law has made going bust less onerous and, as a result, the stigma of being a bankrupt has diminished.

Does that remind you of anyone here?

After such a bombastic, unrelenting, tirade, I can almost imagine shell-shocked, NuLab, spin-doctors disorientedly fumbling for their Motos to implore Mr Randall to cease fire: after all, it is Armistice Day!

Not really, the entire readership of the Telegraph are either close to death or politically irrelevant or both.

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

These papers could have been saying the same things years ago.

The Telegraph has always been fairly sceptical about Brown's economic record. Neil Collins especially.

The Telegraph has always been fairly sceptical about Brown's economic record. Neil Collins especially.

A bit like our Prime Minister then.

Controversial, but I dont really see why people blame Gordon Brown so much. It's us, the people, who have hocked ourselves up to the eye balls. Part of living in a democracy is being allowed to behave like idiots. We did it under Thatcher and now we are doing it under Brown. Untill we cure greed and envy it will keep happening I suspect.

Just look at the language*:

clapped-out

spin machine

coming home to roost

drink-now-pay-later binge

gloomiest

bottoms thrashed

British anxiety

increasingly fretful

eroding confidence

debt

insolvencies

court orders

repossessions

business failures

interest rates ..back up

taxes ...rise even further

fuel bills

pensions crisis

jump in unemployment

"black hole"

Brown's tub-thumpers

highest-ever ..personal insolvencies

no cigar.

running out fast

dressing up the UK's finances

peddle the fiction

run out of money

jammed up against a ceiling of credit-card limits

debt-financed boom

over-stretched

being ruined.

weight of ..debt

alarming reality

distressed debtors

terrifying last resort.

Soaring unsecured credit

spiral of debt

untenable situation

bankruptcies to double

bad news

shot to pieces

horrific pension-fund deficits

pensions mess

"fool's paradise".

ghastly

liabilities..£500billion.

infuriated

shabby stitch-up

mess

lack of ideas

fantasy world

easy credit

swapped their security

beach and booze in Benidorm

culprits

shopaholics.

blame and claim,

drowning in debt

profligate wasters

"loan abuse".

delicious irony

deliberately undermined

hand-outs, benefits, subsidies and credits

enormous client class

life-wrecking

revenge

One of these days that Jeff Randall is gonna get off the fence and tell us what he really thinks! :P

* Banks and Brown to suffer the revenge of the debtors

Could have been written by someone on here - was it TTRTR showing his true colours

Not really, the entire readership of the Telegraph are either close to death or politically irrelevant or both.

A bit like the Labour Party pre-1997 then.

Erranta commented on make my day's quote: 'The night of the long knives cometh'

What sort of perverse statement is that??

Are you a Mason - drooling over the final takeover of the UK?

Well, Erranta, perhaps I can help you to complete your education:

Night of the Long Knives (1962)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The epithet Night of the Long Knives is given to July 13, 1962, when the British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan sacked the following members of his Cabinet:

Lord Kilmuir — Lord Chancellor

Selwyn Lloyd — Chancellor of the Exchequer

David Eccles — Minister of Education

Harold Arthur Watkinson — Minister of Defence

John Scott Maclay — Secretary of State for Scotland

Charles Hill — Minister of Housing and Local Government and Welsh Affairs

Lord Mills — Minister without Portfolio

This unprecedented action was named by the newspapers after the 1934 Nazi Night of the Long Knives although no blood was spilled in the British version.

Jeremy Thorpe, one of Macmillan's political opponents, is quoted as saying:

"greater love than this hath no man that he should lay down his friends for his life".

Who knows perhaps Gordon Brown awaits a similar fate ?

Edited by make my day

Controversial, but I dont really see why people blame Gordon Brown so much. It's us, the people, who have hocked ourselves up to the eye balls. Part of living in a democracy is being allowed to behave like idiots. We did it under Thatcher and now we are doing it under Brown. Untill we cure greed and envy it will keep happening I suspect.

True, but you could look at it a different way - if we had adopted a different economic policy, eg targeting the growth in the money supply (m4?), not just targeting an arbitary measure of inflation, then things would be different.

As I read the ad I notice that the telegraph now use Google Ad words (so the ads are displayed in context to the page).

Adverts 1, 2 and 3 are all for companies offering mortgages to people with bad debts. I really should have clicked them (not because I want a loan, but to ensure that the advert cost them some money).

Clicking on the ads earns the site they're on money.

Clicking on the ads earns the site they're on money.

Yes it earns the telegraph money and costs the advertiser (of crap mortgages and loans) money.

Guest Riser

If you ignore the 65% of the 2.2 Million readers who are under 65 then you may have a point !

Telegraph Reader Profile

Edited by Riser

If you ignore the 65% of the 2.2 Million readers who are under 65 then you may have a point !

Telegraph Reader Profile

I agree with the sentiment but if it's the Telegraph then they are doing it for purely political reasons i.e. they don't want a Brown premiership.

New Labour has created an enormous client class, which, while enjoying the patronage of the state, has been led to believe that it is government rather than private enterprise that is Britain's prime source of personal wealth.

And thus will be Brown's downfall when this creature he has created bites him in the ass, so much for chasing mirages.

Makes you realise why Randall fell out with the Beeb, he obviously wouldn't toe the line with the Brownites.

Erranta commented on make my day's quote: 'The night of the long knives cometh'

Well, Erranta, perhaps I can help you to complete your education:

Night of the Long Knives (1962)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The epithet Night of the Long Knives is given to July 13, 1962, when the British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan sacked the following members of his Cabinet:

Lord Kilmuir — Lord Chancellor

Selwyn Lloyd — Chancellor of the Exchequer

David Eccles — Minister of Education

Harold Arthur Watkinson — Minister of Defence

John Scott Maclay — Secretary of State for Scotland

Charles Hill — Minister of Housing and Local Government and Welsh Affairs

Lord Mills — Minister without Portfolio

This unprecedented action was named by the newspapers after the 1934 Nazi Night of the Long Knives although no blood was spilled in the British version.

Jeremy Thorpe, one of Macmillan's political opponents, is quoted as saying:

"greater love than this hath no man that he should lay down his friends for his life".

Who knows perhaps Gordon Brown awaits a similar fate ?

Well - we were both right.

Sorry about any mis-understanding - easily done in this case!

My knowledge has improved too.

Go for it Jeff, kick 'em in the nuts where it hurts. Didnt realise that Jeff had bust up with the Beeb but not too surprised - anyone got a link about this ?

ha! I love the term "loan abuse"!

He is spot on there - in our blame & claim culture, the profligate borrowers and spenders will be accusing the banks of irresponsible lending, considering themselves innocent (!) victims rather than complicit partners in the destruction of our national character.

It makes me want to puke sometimes.

:angry:

Oh joy of joys, you really can rely on the Telegraph to deliver the ugly truth when it matters.

HUH ??? The banks are legend for using extremely dodgy practices for foisting their financial products on the general public using spin, overcharging, deceit, bullying, manipulative advertising etc.

Edited by penbat1