House Price Crash Forum

Lloyds, Rbs

lincs

I've been keeping an eye on these for a while now and have been very tempted to have a punt on these rather than treat myself to a holiday.

One half of me can only really see them going up, as in reality can things really get any worse for them? In reality since the government is so heavily involved with them they're just too big to fail and if they do fail then, then the country is surely doomed and the value of any shares will be the last of my worries. Plus lloyds looking to pay a dividend fairly soon can only mean good things for the share price?

My other half is telling me to stay well clear of these trash banks since they'll be worthless for the rest of time. Better spend the money on that Holiday.

What are people's opinions?

Not financial advice but personally I think both shares have more long-term downside.

I backed RBS in the monthly share competition this month but it was only a speculative on-line punt because they fell at the end of last month, and with a possible sequestor resolution this month in the US, I thought they might get dragged up considerably if such a deal was reached.

Whilst I was happy to do that in the monthly comp here I would not, for a moment, put any money into them currently.

Having said that, a frined bought a fair bit arund 18p 2 years or so ago and has done nicely. That was then though.

I've been keeping an eye on these for a while now and have been very tempted to have a punt on these rather than treat myself to a holiday.

One half of me can only really see them going up, as in reality can things really get any worse for them? In reality since the government is so heavily involved with them they're just too big to fail and if they do fail then, then the country is surely doomed and the value of any shares will be the last of my worries. Plus lloyds looking to pay a dividend fairly soon can only mean good things for the share price?

My other half is telling me to stay well clear of these trash banks since they'll be worthless for the rest of time. Better spend the money on that Holiday.

I've put considerably more than a holidays worth into LLOY. About half my SIPP in fact. I'm thinking along the same lines as youself. Too big to fail. Should recover one day. Done very nicely the past year or two.

Its my pension though so more inclined to take a crazy gamble with it more than with money I could actually spend or pay down my mortgage with. I'm only down a grand or so at the moment.

When assessing value of companies, it is very tempting to look ahead to the day when they return to their previous profitability, dividend payments and market value.

There have been a lot of changes to their business models which could affect that.

If you are looking for an opinion rather than investment advice, I would suggest you should marry your other half if you haven't already. She has her head screwed on. Oh, and take her for a holiday. In fact, that is what she is really saying. 'Please take me on holiday, you only live once, I'll make your life hell if you don't and those shares end up being cr*p like I said'.

It's a no brainer really.

DYOR or DLTAOTI

(Don't Listen To Anyone On The Internet)

My other half being my other conscious! I'm happily/unhappily single. I'm still waiting for that stunning, financially savvy brunette to walk through the door. Perhaps that lloyds fund should go on a holiday to se asia to resolve at least one of those issues!

Investing in a couple of companies is far too RISKY (whichever they are and especially banks).

Instead look for a recovery fund with a good track record. Research its portfolio and if you still fancy banks look for its financial weighting). Also spread the investment over a number of months again to minimise the risk.

Use a discount broker eg Hargreaves

• 1 year later...