House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Its The Annual Buy Nothing Day — Nov 25 2005

As its the annual Buy Nothing Day on NOV 25 2005 run by the excellent Adbusters

http://www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/

I thought maybe it would be a good idea if HPC and/or its international friends like bullimobilleire

could organise a similar event with houses.

Just a thought - as there's plenty of good reasons not to buy a house at the moment.

Of course, when and if the crash has bottomed out in a few years, at a point judged by the Hpc econo-boffins, it can change to 'Quick, buy a house now day'

:)

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Looks like these guys jumped the gun. One of them has already bought nothing - for 57k!

Last month, another of Entropia's virtual properties - a virtual space station - sold at auction for £57,000.

You wouldn't know anything about this would you, Saving For A Space Ship?????? :o

Edited by Sledgehead

BBC news actually broadcast a warning about a potential "property crash" this evening - shame they were only talking about virtual property and ended with "at least in a real property crash you have purchased bricks and mortar, so you dont lose the roof over your head!" :blink:

Guest Bart of Darkness

This lot ought to be commited to the funny farm.

Virtual Property?? someone is either a genius or a complete lunatic.

Person who gets the money: Genius

Person who buys: Lunatic.

Although I'm sure there are some virtual VI's who will tell you that virtual property only ever goes up in price.

Wonder what the virtual IRs are?

Buy nothing day is on black Friday.

Black Friday is a huge deal in the US. It's the day after our Thanksgiving, and most people have the day off. Stores open at 5am, and everyone gets up at O'dark:30 to go shopping. Stores give things away. For example they give a small gift to the first 500 people through the front door. Or you can buy things at 75-80% off the regular price until 11am or while supplies last.

Buy nothing day is on black Friday.

Black Friday is a huge deal in the US. It's the day after our Thanksgiving, and most people have the day off. Stores open at 5am, and everyone gets up at O'dark:30 to go shopping. Stores give things away. For example they give a small gift to the first 500 people through the front door. Or you can buy things at 75-80% off the regular price until 11am or while supplies last.

Black Friday because it is the day stores go from being in the red to being in the black, right? I hear Wal*Mart is going to be doing extra big discounts for all the suckers shoppers this year because they were caught out last year. I shall be shopping at the Sal*Mart this year. :D

Edited by gone west

I think a FTBers strike should be called, just like the truck drivers in 2001. If all FTBs stopped looking or just made stupidly low offers for six months, it would bring the market to its knees and precipitate a crash. Someone from this site should start the movement. All it needs is solidarity.

Seriously, think about it. No FTBs, no one sells flats at the bottom of the market, no one sells 3 bed terrace, no one sells semi-detached etc etc. It would be in every FTBs interest to do it as it would force the market down. Of course once prices were discounted heavily ( and we are seeing evidence of this already in spite of LR figures which reflect completion prices months ago), the FTBs would still stay away as they wouldn't want to buy into falling market.

With the internet such a movemnet wouldn't be hard to start. All it requires is chain emails.

I would go along with this as an idea. I suspect the publicity angle would be the most important factor, as opposed to making any 'real' dent in the sales figures, although it might catch on and have a 'real' effect. There certainly seemed to be some interest when gruffdd started a thread on 5th November about generating a bit of action/publicity to campaign for lower house prices. There were almost 2000 viewings of the thread. It seems to be a topic that creates quite strong for and against opinions.

If anything ever gets off the ground I would certainly want to help/contribute.

I must say, if nothing else I'm getting very frustrated with the ongoing delays of the HPC getting into full swing!!

Buying pixels?

http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/

This guy made has made $573,800 in about a mounth, he is a uk school leaver who had the idea just before he went to uni... His Blog makes interesting reading...

What is so special about his page tho? I really just don't geddit. There are a billion websites that link to other sites. Why should thi sguy be able to charge. Before the Beeb told me about this story I hadn't even heard of him. The site has no obvious lures or attractions or free gifts etc. Sorry, but I would never advertise there and would never visit the site.

It's phenomena like these that make you wonder how legitamate anyone's claim to success is. I had shares in a needle-less syringe company once. Seemed such a great idea, given the needle-stick probs we have and liability claims made upon the health service. Wadda-u-no, they went bust as they couldn't get a gov contract .... and if you gave every Underground passenger a choice between an electronic explosive sniffer or a pair of Jimmy Choos / PSP guess who'd be celebrating record sales ...

Edited by Sledgehead

As its the annual Buy Nothing Day on NOV 25 2005 run by the excellent Adbusters

Date 25 11 2005

Using Numerology

2+5=7 (7/11?)

11=1+1=2

2005=2+5=7

=727

7+2+7=16

1+6=7

Sum = 7 :ph34r:

What 'powers' pick these dates?

I would go along with this as an idea. I suspect the publicity angle would be the most important factor, as opposed to making any 'real' dent in the sales figures, although it might catch on and have a 'real' effect. There certainly seemed to be some interest when gruffdd started a thread on 5th November about generating a bit of action/publicity to campaign for lower house prices. There were almost 2000 viewings of the thread. It seems to be a topic that creates quite strong for and against opinions.

I must say, if nothing else I'm getting very frustrated with the ongoing delays of the HPC getting into full swing!!

Thanks for the offer of support Alfie, I agree that the day would be a good hook for a publicity angle to create media interest, furthering the hpc cause and informing people generally of the good reasons for not buying at present. I will email Adbusters to see what they think, as they've been running BND for some years, so know whats involved in running a smaller but similar event to BND.

Presumably 'why should we not buy a house at the moment' would be the 1st media question, to which the reasons could be reeled off to open viewers eyes to the possible frightening reality of such a purchase.

After a brief search on Google, bringing up nothing else, it seems to be an original idea, If it was done as a web based thing it would not take too much to organise. I don't really have such organisation skills myself, but if webmaster or anyone else is interested, then after further investigation, it may be worth going for it as the idea seems nice & simple.

What would be the best day for it though? can Erranta give a best date from a numerology perspective.

Lets not forget my 20% of t-shirt fees and 50% for copyright of course, maybe the landlords trade association would be interested in sponsoring it. I would off course spend this % on superglue to be inserted into EA's door locks on the day after the distribution meeting down at the docks :D;)

Edit & afterthought: After reading several responses on this thread, I'd also like to register 'Don't Buy a Virtual House Day' for future scheduling ;-)

2nd afterthought - Actually, why should it be a seperate day to Buy Nothing Day ? As its only 2 weeks away, how about Webmaster pinning a thread of support for BIN day & we compile a list of reasons as to why its not a good time to buy a house now.

I've listed below what I think are some of the major good reasons for not buying a house at present. I've tried to keep it non-technical and welcome your comments & additions of ones I've missed.

1. House Price Inflation (HPI) Dropping

By not buying now you may save a lot of money as house price inflation has dropped from around 20% to around 2% in the last 18 months, and HPI appears to be continuing down based on previous house price cycles history.

2. Potential Negative Equity

You may end up with negative equity due to having bought a house at a higher price now, it may well drop to a lower price, leaving negative equity as an extra cost in having a house worth less than the mortgage payable on it.

3. Massive income Multiples on Mortgage Payments.

Traditionally, borrowing up to 3.5 times your annual income as a mortgage amount has been seen as responsible borrowing. High house prices now demand borrowing of 6 to 8 times annual income, so this makes mortgages unaffordable to many now & high risk regarding affordability to others.

4. Risk of Debt Slavery for Longer With Low Inflation Rates

Currently low interest rates (IR) will not allow inflation to erode the debt over 25 years as has historically happened with higher IR. So many people will be paying off larger debts for longer. Historically inflation rates have a 7-8% average and may well return to this level.

5. Increased Risk of Bankruptcy

For reason given above, many buyers are stretching themselves beyond reasonable limits of affordability. A rise in interest rates or a loss of job or increased difficulty in finding tenants make the risks of bankruptcy higher. Usually, this means losing your house, and an increase in lenders seeking charging orders on houses in court, mean that debts cannot be escaped so easily.

6. Finding Tenants Is Not An Easy Option Anymore

Renting rooms is often used to pay towards a large mortgage. This is not easy to do any more. Partly due to the increase in Buy to Let properties for reasons like replacing pensions etc. Rents have remained low (sometimes the same as 7 years ago) and many properties are empty due to increased competition.

7. Its Often Cheaper to Rent than Buy

It is often cheaper to rent a property at present, than to pay large mortgage instalments, especially on 'interest only' mortgages.

8. Danger of Increased Stress & Damage to Health

The stress and possible damage to a persons health, can be greatly increased in an environment of large debt. Struggling to repay enormous sums in uncertain economic times with an insecure job market makes this worse.

Guest consa

It was noted here:

HPC Campaign

I would have preferred it here for the input value

So who's gonna buy nothing tomorrow? I'll will. Just like I did today, and the day before.

:P

I'm in.

BTW, what is the longest anyone has gone without buying anything? It's not a competition because I refused to buy a prize.

I have gone 4 days which may seem a bit measly I know.

Guest The Dude

I think a FTBers strike should be called, just like the truck drivers in 2001. If all FTBs stopped looking or just made stupidly low offers for six months, it would bring the market to its knees and precipitate a crash. Someone from this site should start the movement. All it needs is solidarity.

Seriously, think about it. No FTBs, no one sells flats at the bottom of the market, no one sells 3 bed terrace, no one sells semi-detached etc etc. It would be in every FTBs interest to do it as it would force the market down. Of course once prices were discounted heavily ( and we are seeing evidence of this already in spite of LR figures which reflect completion prices months ago), the FTBs would still stay away as they wouldn't want to buy into falling market.

With the internet such a movemnet wouldn't be hard to start. All it requires is chain emails.

"I think a FTBers strike should be called, just like the truck drivers in 2001. If all FTBs stopped looking or just made stupidly low offers for six months, it would bring the market to its knees and precipitate a crash. Someone from this site should start the movement"

Large, As a would be FTB, I'm already on strike.....I ain't got no money to buy at these insane prices :)

It's happening !! :D

Buy Nothing Day Blog - For Global Updates on Activites

http://adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/blog.php#102

Inspiration from last year's BND

http://adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/pastyears.php?o=2004

Buy Nothing Xmas http://adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/bnd_xmas/

Scotland: Free food and films in Glasgow

Friday 25th November:

5.30pm - Critical Mass - meet at George Square

7.30pm - Free Food & Films - at the Saorsa Social Centre

Saturday 26th November:

11.00am - Info Stall & Swap Shop - at St Enoch's Square, bring things to swap and exchange for free

All Day - Clowning & Games - meet at the Info Stall

More Info: 0141 423 9055

Web Site: http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/

UK: Logo hunters loot London’s Oxford Street

Fed up with branding and corporate control? Play for free and win points in the NEXUS challenge this weekend!

In the spirit of BUY NOTHING DAY we invite you to collect as many logos as possible from the stores and establishments of Oxford Street; of course, without spending any of your hard-earned cash.

Sound like fun? Here's how we play:

1. Subtly meet in a nearby pub (to be announced).

2. Head to Oxford St. and await the GO! signal.

3. Grab as many logos as possible within a time limit.

4. Retire to the pub for scoring and celebratory beverages.

Saturday 26th November (Buy Nothing Day)

Meet from 12:00 for a 1:00pm start.

Meeting place to be announced on the Space Hijackers website:

www.spacehijackers.org

The logo may be on a carrier bag, poster, swing tag, name badge... get creative!

You MUST NOT BUY ANYTHING! resist all temptations. Relocation of valued items is definitely not encouraged. Scores will be totalled by our independent judges and their decision is final.

The organisers accept no responsibility for births, deaths, injuries (including papercuts), and the small print is here [ ].

UK: London Radical Cheerleaders

The London Radical Cheerleaders would like to invite you to participate in two actions we have planned for next weekend.

We will be meeting at 5pm sharp Soho Sq on Friday 25th November to run through a couple of performances we're planning for Reclaim the Night march. Come in pink and black if possible, all welcome to join in!

The following day is Buy Nothing Day a global day against rampant consumerism and everyone is invited to join in the disobediance. We will be paying a visit to Selfridges, House of Fraser and John Lewis for three performances and to evaluate their cheerleader merchandise as we fear it may not meet LRC standards.

We will be meeting at 11am outside Oxford St station infront of H&M retailers (Sat 26th) for preparation.

For more info email londonradicalcheerleaders@yahoogroups.co.uk

Ireland : Street theatre, bartering and film fest to flood Galway

Buy Nothing Day 2005 to be celebrated in Galway on Saturday with street theatre, a mini film fest, art installations, and a barter fair.

With the seasonal shopping frenzy now upon us, Galwegians are being asked to resist for one day the pressure to shop, and join in the international celebration of Buy Nothing Day on Saturday 26th November. Buy Nothing Day was founded in 1993 and is celebrated in over 55 countries worldwide today, and its message is more relevant than ever in Celtic Tiger Ireland.

“Buy Nothing Day is a simple idea – it’s a 24-hour consumer fast that allows us step back and look at the role consumerism and materialism play in our lives,” says Kerry E’lyn Larkin, one of the organisers of the Galway events. “Why do we buy what we buy, and how much control do advertisers have over us? Where does what we buy come from and where does it go when we’re finished with it? Who profits from our consumption? What do we really value in our lives anymore? In other words, what impact does our consumption have on other people, the planet, and ourselves? BND is a chance to focus on these really important questions.”

A variety of events are planned to mark the day in Galway. Street theatre will be staged on (where else?) Shop Street at 2 pm; a Barter Fair will take place in the Galway One World Centre (beside Fat Freddy’s) from 2-6 pm, to which people should bring items to swap such as clothes, CDs, books, etc.; an art installation will be exhibited in the Fishery Tower all day; and films focusing on advertising, corporate control, and consumerism will be shown at NUI, Galway, during the afternoon.

All events will be free and open to the public. For more information, ring 087 911 16 24 or email activationkerry@hotmail.com

Good work, Adbusters are a great organisation doing some sterling work. Heres a ditty off one of the links sung to the tune of 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer'

Uh oh we're in the red, dear

On our credit card it shows

Christmas is almost over

But the debit line still grows

Shopping like Santa's zombies

Sent our budget down in flames

But all our Christmas spirit

Helped the giant retail chains

:)

So far today I have bought an envelope for 20p and a chai tea latte for £2.99 (it was brass monkeys this morning, ok?). No houses so far though. I'll let you know if I do.

So far today I have bought an envelope for 20p and a chai tea latte for £2.99 (it was brass monkeys this morning, ok?). No houses so far though. I'll let you know if I do.

Congrats on the frugal weekend, hope you made it through without buying a house :D

Thanks for pinning and promoting this worthy campaign webmaster, roll on 'Buy Nothing Xmas' -

heres a much better link to that organised campaign - http://www.buynothingchristmas.org/