House Price Crash Forum

Derby / Derbyshire For Ftb

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience or view as to the state of the market for houses in Derby and surrounding areas?

My partner and I will be returning to the green hills* of Derby (*aka dirty damp town with horrid Westfield shopping centre & immigration issues etc :rolleyes: ). We will be looking to buy and fortunately we have been able to save a good deposit from working abroad for 2+ years.

We are 30 and first time buyers so this will be quite exciting!

Any thoughts are welcome!

cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience or view as to the state of the market for houses in Derby and surrounding areas?

My partner and I will be returning to the green hills* of Derby (*aka dirty damp town with horrid Westfield shopping centre & immigration issues etc :rolleyes: ). We will be looking to buy and fortunately we have been able to save a good deposit from working abroad for 2+ years.

We are 30 and first time buyers so this will be quite exciting!

Any thoughts are welcome!

cheers

Its all about the schools in Derby - as far as house prices are concerned anyway.

Littleover Community and Eccesbourne both have 90% A-C GCSE including English and Maths and are basically state grammar schools now. The surrounding catchment areas are the most expensive in the city but also the nicest to live.

Top dog is Quarndon which is Ecclesbourne School, Allestree shops and in the countryside

No. 2 is area of Mickleover south of Uttoxeter road. Littleover catchment and the nicest suburban part of town

Heatherton village is a massive 90's built estate that is Littleover catchment. Some very large houses.

Allestree is nice but the schools are just above average

Spondon has an up and coming school with a good headmaster and the area is 10 times better than it used to be

Alvaston and Allenton have some nice bits but also some very rough areas. Rough as in don't go at night.

Normanton/peartree/sunnyhill/sinfin/chaddeston - very rough

Oakwood has awful schools but is a nice place.

Chellaston has an excellent school but the area around isn't great. The new estate is very decent though.

Derby is very culturally mixed and the top schools are top because a lot of asian kids work very hard. Lots of Sikhs and Hindu families with a very decent work ethic. Town and Normanton very much more muslim/polish.

If you don't have kids then Allestree and Mickleover are both nice places to live.

(lived here 20 years, own properly here)

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I live in Derby. This city has plenty of ex-industrial space to build on, even quite centrally, and in the last year or so they have been building everywhere. On the outskirts there are several new estates, all over the city, and in the centre there is a large new development of flats/housing/shops on a run-down industrial area between the city centre and the station. The old city-centre hospital is being demolished to make way for more houses.

I will be watching with interest to see if this results in lower house prices in Derby (which are already lower than average).