House Price Crash Forum

Bbc - Its All Started To Kick Off Now...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember sipps , Osbourne is in danger of having to do a Gordon Brown, the then chancellor , who had to announce the cancelling of his flagship policy just 48hours before its introduction because of ever mounting concerns about the extra boost it would give to already over heated property market. Over the proceeding months those involved in the industry had spent £millions gearing up for its introduction.

Unless this bit of legislation was written by a lobbyist and none of our elected leaders bothered to read it properly.

not sure it would even be legislation.

It would be a budget fund of some kind with conditions for access from some group...probably bankers.

It is conceivable bankers provided the scheme, the script for the budget and assured the arrogant that this is what was needed.

It's simpler than that, the only thing they really care about is getting re-elected.

There was a post about this yesterday arguing if that's the case or if it's more about what their corporate paymasters will award them with when they leave office.

Peace Envoy in the Middle East for example.

They have to tow the line though to get the prize.

It is just a job. When it is your sides policy, you have to agree to it. When it is the oppositions you have to disagree. It is all just a big pantomime.

It's nuts isn't it?

• Government come up with a great idea which would benefit 99% of the people.

• Opposition use their powerful media machine and clever language to spread Fear Uncertainty and Doubt into the minds of the bewildered public just because they have to oppose it (the ego won't allow it in the sociopath/psycopaths that are attracted to parliament)

• The great idea gets dropped/watered down/turned on its head.

• We muddle along with half-baked/crap policy

• Hardly anyone benefits.

The left/right BS has a lot to answer for.

Give me a wise, benign dictator over this crap any day of the week.

Edited by Reck B
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam

My radical plan for housing market: shift burden of stamp duty to sellers rather than buyers. After all they have the absurd bubble equity.

Cue: lots of whinging from people with the absurd bubble equity.

Asking prices for houses are merely an opinion. The debt, is very real.

Complete bearfest discussion on Faisal Islam's twitter feed now.

Edited by thecrashingisles

Well yes, that is what happened then, but he knows they can never re-start that? What I am talking about is no viable lending for banks NOW unless they engineer a crash.

Where do you think the increased 'value' of the property came from in the last bubble? It's the same as any bubble - an excess of cash ultimately leads to investment in a particular asset class (initially, for good reasons) which then attracts more investment by virtue of looking like a sure generator of returns. This just feeds back on itself and a bubble forms.

The government figure if they can kickstart a property bubble then it will self-sustain with banks lending against property which is steadily increasing in price. The whole business of trying to duplicate the 'good times' really is as Max Keiser pointed out, like a Cargo Cult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Where do you think the increased 'value' of the property came from in the last bubble? It's the same as any bubble - an excess of cash ultimately leads to investment in a particular asset class (initially, for good reasons) which then attracts more investment by virtue of looking like a sure generator of returns. This just feeds back on itself and a bubble forms.

The government figure if they can kickstart a property bubble then it will self-sustain with banks lending against property which is steadily increasing in price. The whole business of trying to duplicate the 'good times' really is as Max Keiser pointed out, like a Cargo Cult.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Cargo_cult

Well as I have said, you describe what happened in the past, I say that can not be the goal now because the money isn`t there any more. Osbourne knows this better than us I expect? The goal now is for prices to drop (those with no or little mortgage don`t benefit the banks) and for more loans to be made at lower levels, with maybe increasing rates in the future.The items in the media being linked to make it obvious this is the new agenda?

Edited by dances with sheeple

The left/right BS has a lot to answer for.

Give me a wise, benign dictator over this crap any day of the week.

Agreed - try saying it in real life and watch the vitriol spew from the lefty/righties. Excellent entertainment.

Power corrupts. The problem with that idea is that your benign dictator will still be sitting there when he's run out of ideas and has lost touch with reality. How do you remove him?

Power corrupts. The problem with that idea is that your benign dictator will still be sitting there when he's run out of ideas and has lost touch with reality. How do you remove him?

Dictators can and have been good for societies, but the problem is that no one lives forever. The Romans found this out - Augustus, the first Emperor, is generally regarded as a magnanimous and effective leader. But he was succeeded by some out and out despots.

Hmmm.. Was this the plan all along? The policy has gaping holes, it triggered a sudden avalanche of hpc views which had gone unmentioned until now, are they to cause some pain for the masses now after they have been bombarded with the reasons for doing so by the media? Everyone loves to hate the Tories, something else they got wrong! We don't want a housing bubble do we! Those Tories do so we dont! When will they learn! Me and my mates down the pub have been told what to think about housing now from anti Tories so we go along with it.

And so the correction can begin, with the support of the population.

Or did they really come up with a Gordon brown policy that makes no sense and is diamertrically opposed to what they have been saying about the last government? With obvious holes, and with as yet unknown implementation details ?

It's an amusing way to have the everyday idiot in the street reconsider their position on high house prices. Bring em down! That Osborne rich toff wants em up! Boo!

Seem to recall all that support the State had to give to ailing industries, British Steel, British Leyland etc in the 60/70's. Now looks absolute chicken feed, even after adjusting for inflation, compared to the billions funnelled into banking and property.

We could have put a man on Mars, bought Toyota and Honda outright, or had a fleet of top notch nuclear reactors for the money. But oh no, lets pour cash it into overpriced bricks and mortar instead.

Exactly. At the same time as announcing £130bn for unproductive housing speculation, less than 1% of this amount was announced for Sience and Technology.

Fecking useles.

Osbourne jumps Shark. Crashes and Burns.

I must admit, I thought the man was just trying to keep the plates spinning just so his banker friends could get out at the top of the maret. But it looks as if he really is just an idiot. The stupidest thing is, there has been a golden opportunity all along to blame all the house price madness all on Brown, but now he is basically admitting, that he thought Brown had the right policy all along, bubbles are the only way forward. Indescribable idiot.

By the way Alistair Darling was in the Guardian yesterday. I'd forgotten all about him, but he is actually quite sensible.

Edited by BigPig

Osbourne jumps Shark. Crashes and Burns.

I must admit, I thought the man was just trying to keep the plates spinning just so his banker friends could get out at the top of the maret. But it looks as if he really is just an idiot. The stupidest thing is, there has been a golden opportunity all along to blame all the house price madness all on Brown, but now he is basically admitting, that he thought Brown had the right policy all along, bubbles are the only way forward. Indescribable idiot.

By the way Alistair Darling was in the Guardian yesterday. I'd forgotten all about him, but he is actually quite sensible.

I remember when the banks almost collapsed Alistair Darling looked like he'd been put in there as some kind of fall guy for the Labour regime. But he behaved admirably I thought. He was an island of sanity in a sea of shit.

Edited by Als

Somebody organise a protest march against Help to Buy.

People in other places do things like that

Israelis protest high house prices

Israeli youths have set up hundreds of protest tents in Tel Aviv and other major cities to demonstrate against the government's failure to control surging housing prices.

In an echo of the tactics of anti-government protesters in the region, Israeli students and young workers erected dozens of protest tents in Tel Aviv's Rothschild Avenue, one of the city's most prosperous streets, over the weekend and declared the tent city "Tahrir Square," taking a cue from Egypt.

But shortly after, hundreds of supporters joined the core of tent-dwellers in Tel Aviv and protest tents spread to other Israeli cities, including the northern city of Kiryat Shmona and Kfar Sava, with local residents coming out in support of the mostly young protesters.

The National Students' Union, which has joined the protest, says it will pitch further protest camps in universities and colleges around Israel.

Protesters say rents are too high and that the cost of buying homes is prohibitive. A small new apartment in a middle-class neighborhood in Tel Aviv costs about USD 2 million while the average annual income in the country is USD 2,000.

In Israel, housing prices have spiked 30 percent since 2007.

Protesters say high house prices have forced them to leave Tel Aviv, Jerusalem (al-Quds) and other main cities where most employment is concentrated.

The Israeli youth, who were also protesting against surging living costs, pledged to remain in the protest tents until action has been taken to address the issue of high housing costs.

Authorities say they will permit the protest tents to remain as long as demonstrators maintain public order.

http://apjp.org/israelis-protest-high-house-pr/