House Price Crash Forum

Epc - Where Can You Get A Full Detailed Version

Where would you be able to get a full detailed version of the EPC on a house, showing where can be improved etc

I have never actually seen one, is there even such a thing?

Does it show what sort of insulation is in a house? how energy efficient various aspects of the house are, where it can be improved?

Out of interest, what is the average EPC number in N ireland ?

Where would you be able to get a full detailed version of the EPC on a house, showing where can be improved etc

Does it show what sort of insulation is in a house? how energy efficient various aspects of the house are, where it can be improved?

From the EA, when you pay for an EPC it comes as a 6 page document, only the headline tables are put online, it does include areas of recommendations.

Further info.

http://www.dfpni.gov.uk/index/buildings-energy-efficiency-buildings/energy-performance-of-buildings/content_-_energy_performance_of_buildings-epcs2.htm

Edited by Ausdave

Hi bets.

It is a legal requirement for the EPC to have been completed prior to the property being marketed.

Therefore the EA should have the unique Report Reference Number (RRN) of the EPC. The RRN might also appear on some of the marketing literature.

Once you have the RRN, you can access the full report on the following site:

https://www.epbniregister.com/searchReport.html

The EPC is accompanied by an improvement report, detailing ways in which the energy efficiency of the property could be improved. However, the software used to generate these reports is simplistic, and as such, the improvements are often very generic in nature. The fact that most EPC's are produced by EA's, (as opposed to engineers or other professionals) does nothing for their credibility.

Hope this helps.

Intially I was a fan of EPC's as like new fridges, cars etc I thought it was important for purchasers to know the efficency of new houses compared to older ones. However I soon became deflated with them.

For instance the building control regulations have been upgraded substantially in October past. It is unlikely that any of the new approvals have been constructed yet. Building Control is still trying to find out how to best meet these new regulations. The last significant change was in 2006.

However, here's the catch.

A house approved under what will now be known as the old regs will be assessed on the old ver of the software. I think the average house in NI is 50 and a good new house is 80.

All new houses, under the new regs will be assessed under the upgraded version of the software and a good new house (to the new regs ) will get 80 as well. If the house, assessed under the old software was assessed against the new software it would get closer to 70.

They have raised the crossbar meaning that the £5k to £10k, the new regs are said to cost will not be apparent on the EPC reports. One builder is considering challenging the department on this issue.

What it means is a 2012 house with a 82 rating is not as good as a 2013 house with only a 78 rating. I hope that is all perfectly clear.

The reports and accuracy are less important than the message they send. Even if we used a proper measurement system (which would not be that hard) there would still be inaccuracies and imperfections.

They encourage the improvement of properties and make people think about efficiency, in theory. I'd say we'd get more benefit from policing the requirement to have one advertised with the property than to improve the accuracy.

However, here's the catch.

A house approved under what will now be known as the old regs will be assessed on the old ver of the software. I think the average house in NI is 50 and a good new house is 80.

All new houses, under the new regs will be assessed under the upgraded version of the software and a good new house (to the new regs ) will get 80 as well. If the house, assessed under the old software was assessed against the new software it would get closer to 70.

They have raised the crossbar meaning that the £5k to £10k, the new regs are said to cost will not be apparent on the EPC reports. One builder is considering challenging the department on this issue.

What it means is a 2012 house with a 82 rating is not as good as a 2013 house with only a 78 rating. I hope that is all perfectly clear.

The same house will eventually have to be re-assessed eventually when they are sold on or rented - under the new 2009 SAP, so the scores will catch up. In fact for about £20 per house the same input can be put into th new SAP to get a reviewed score - no big deal.

As for building control - they don't check the calculations, just a cursory look over, so don't rely on them for ensuring accuracy.

The same house will eventually have to be re-assessed eventually when they are sold on or rented - under the new 2009 SAP, so the scores will catch up. In fact for about £20 per house the same input can be put into th new SAP to get a reviewed score - no big deal.

As for building control - they don't check the calculations, just a cursory look over, so don't rely on them for ensuring accuracy.

For new build BC do check the EPC figure carefully as it is part of the application for Building Control approval.

I take your point for existing stock.

I am not so sure about reassessment. As I understand it (but I could be wrong) the building is assessed against the building control regulations in place when it was built. There could be funny wonders when buildings have extensions over a certain size and then the whole building is captured. However, I understand there are exceptions for energy efficiency as it would be practically impossible or extremely difficult to take older houses up to current standards.

For new build BC do check the EPC figure carefully as it is part of the application for Building Control approval.

I take your point for existing stock.

I am not so sure about reassessment. As I understand it (but I could be wrong) the building is assessed against the building control regulations in place when it was built. There could be funny wonders when buildings have extensions over a certain size and then the whole building is captured. However, I understand there are exceptions for energy efficiency as it would be practically impossible or extremely difficult to take older houses up to current standards.

I can categorically confirm that Building Control DO NOT check the calculations within any SAP submitted for new build - it might have a cursory look over - but that is it.

EPCs expire after ten years - they must be produced when a building is bought/sold/rented. The data input for SAP 2005 and SAP 2009 is the same - transferring it from one to another to update takes very little effort.

Existing houses are measured by RD SAP - (Reduced software with lots of assumptions made depending on the age of the premises) When upgrading or extending a SAP is only required if you can meet the standards for new build on the extension (only) and you need to upgrade the existing part of the house to pull the whole house average up.

Our regs in NI are about 8 years behind S Ireland and soon to be 3 years behind Eng & Wales - they are not that onerous to achieve.