House Price Crash Forum

Contempt For Tenants

bambam

My landlord's estate agent got taken over by a new firm.

The new EA came round to check the house for the first time at the end of January. House is a bit dilapidated. I got out my inventory and said 'it was like that before'. He said 'Can I borrow that?'. I said 'Where is yours?' He: 'In storage.' Me: 'When will you return it?' He: 'In a few days?. Me: 'When?' He: 'Monday.' Me: 'Ok.'

Of course he didn't. I have since called him about eight times to ask him to return it and he has made excuses, 'I will return it on the weekend', 'I'm not in the office today', 'I thought my colleague had returned it already.'

I could probably go round to the EA and pick it up from there but I refuse to do so. He borrowed something of mine, he promised to return it, repeatedly, and he should keep his promises.

His attitude is just utterly contemptuous, and it comes because estate agents have contempt for their tenants, who they regard as lowly renters.

I really hate estate agents.

Edited by bambam

My landlord's estate agent got taken over by a new firm.

The new EA came round to check the house for the first time at the end of January. House is a bit dilapidated. I got out my inventory and said 'it was like that before'. He said 'Can I borrow that?'. I said 'Where is yours?' He: 'In storage.' Me: 'When will you return it?' He: 'In a few days?. Me: 'When?' He: 'Monday.' Me: 'Ok.'

Of course he didn't. I have since called him about eight times to ask him to return it and he has made excuses, 'I will return it on the weekend', 'I'm not in the office today', 'I thought my colleague had returned it already.'

I could probably go round to the EA and pick it up from there but I refuse to do so. He borrowed something of mine, he promised to return it, repeatedly, and he should keep his promises.

His attitude is just utterly contemptuous, and it comes because estate agents have contempt for their tenants, who they regard as lowly renters.

I really hate estate agents.

Send him an email stating that you believe that he has taken your inventory with an intention to permanently deprive. Then add a copy of the Theft Act, plus a screenshot of an online police report.

Actually I thought about cancelling my rent and telling him I would pay when he returns my property.

I am dunk so I will apologise in advance.

You should never have let him have the original. I would have let him have a copy if he had agreed to sign the copy as a copy, other than that I think it would have been best to tell him to whistle for it and tell him to leave or call the police if he hadn't given you two weeks written notice that he was visiting and prosecute. In business people are scum, in life they are O.K. You had a business relentionship, treat it as such. Humans are unpleasant when they want something so treat them as the enemy in those cases or expect nothing. If you could prove ownership of your agreement then tell him that you can prove any allegations against him even if it requires a 400x zoom USB microscope to find fraudulent reprints. Destroy viruses and save yourself, most landlords are viruses.

Edited by doahh

Just go into the office and refuse to leave till it is handed over. I agree that you should have provided a copy.

Totally agree on this, go in and if they wont hand over YOUR property make a fuss in front of other customers about them being thieves. This seems like a deliberate act to me, possibly hoping to swipe the deposit being as the landlord is overseas "yes we had to make a bunch of repairs when we kicked out the bad tenant"

Adding to my previous drunken rant that didn't offer much advice. I always take plenty of photos before I leave a property in case the agency tries something on. I have heard that you can post them to yourself so that they get a post stamp on them with the date to prove when they were taken. Don't open it, but give it to the small claims court if things get that bad. As other posters have implied, try to make them feel guilty so that they will act - good luck.