House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Manchester

Just wondering - am I missing something or have the recent 'manchester' and 'why is the north west bucking the trend' threads been removed?

:unsure:

Just wondering - am I missing something or have the recent 'manchester' and 'why is the north west bucking the trend' threads been removed?

:unsure:

I was looking for them before too, perhaps too much banter between apollo and the oldie....

:angry:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I was looking for them before too, perhaps too much banter between apollo and the oldie....

:angry:

Apollo was banned after his very insulting remarks to a moderator.

His posts and threads were deleted at his request.

Apollo was banned after his very insulting remarks to a moderator.

His posts and threads were deleted at his request.

LOL Apollo - banned - that has made my day.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I must admit I will miss those posts (just a little bit) He/she was amusing if nothing else.

LOL Apollo - banned - that has made my day.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I must admit I will miss those posts (just a little bit) He/she was amusing if nothing else.

I didn't like what he/she said, but at least he/she kept the Manchester/NW threads going.

I'm a FTB looking in S Manchester, I have held off for this year waiting for prices to drop, but they haven't been. I am running out of patience though as I have just started a family and am in a 1 bed flat. I have quite a bit of savings, ~40k, but am still disappointed even with these savings of what I can afford (I have set myself a ceiling of 150k).

So, predictions for Manchester in the coming months/years??!

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I didn't like what he/she said, but at least he/she kept the Manchester/NW threads going.

Sadly as it was his thread we had to be fair and delete it at his request.

I`m sure others posters will add good input into this thread

I'm a FTB looking in S Manchester, I have held off for this year waiting for prices to drop, but they haven't been. I am running out of patience though as I have just started a family and am in a 1 bed flat. I have quite a bit of savings, ~40k, but am still disappointed even with these savings of what I can afford (I have set myself a ceiling of 150k).

Where in South Manchester? - I am seeing prices stagnate and drop. The place is at tipping point. If the 1 bed flat is driving you mad maybe you could rent somewhere bigger and hold off buying until next summer.

My prediction - they are gong to drop IMHO look at this

http://www.proviser.com/regional/towns/alt...es/price_trend/

Hold on in there - it could be worth it in the long run

I've got mixed feelings about the banning of apollo.

It was good fun to wind him up a bit, and it would have been great to have seen him justify his bullishness as prices in even his rarified part of South Manchester started to fall over the next few months.

On the other hand he was dreadfully rude and blinkered, and his posts were getting increasingly manic and insulting.

May be the pressure of having missed the boat got to him...!

Hey guys, I was wondering, do any of you know anything about the Didsbury area ?

I hear it's a great place and prices are holding up really well.

Anybody got any advice

;)

I am noticing quite a few of the houses i am keeping track on in South Manchester have been going from for sale to SSTC and then back to for sale, mostly are close to where i have lived before and so i know they neighbours and can find out what's going on. have also seen quite a bit of agent hopping by quite a few properties, for sale and to let. the usual coming down in price by 5-15% as well, albeit slowly.

As for Didsbury, yes it is nice and has good day and night life but don't stray too far towards fallowfield or chorlton, have had friends who have had agents try to have them believe they were in Didsbury when they blatently weren't. Also it's an absolute nightmare to get into, through and out of at anytime close to rush hour. Relatively ok at other times though.

Glad to see Apollo gone myself. The amount of drivel that was spouted was unreal - at least TTRTR actually (allegedly) has some experience to back up his take on the world.

Apollo's guff was just undigested VI spin.

I'm sure that if anyone took a good look at his thread only about 5% was anything useful anyway.

Hey guys, I was wondering, do any of you know anything about the Didsbury area ?

I hear it's a great place and prices are holding up really well.

Anybody got any advice

;)

:lol::lol:

Where in South Manchester? - I am seeing prices stagnate and drop. The place is at tipping point. If the 1 bed flat is driving you mad maybe you could rent somewhere bigger and hold off buying until next summer.

My prediction - they are gong to drop IMHO look at this

http://www.proviser.com/regional/towns/alt...es/price_trend/

Hold on in there - it could be worth it in the long run

I am based in Chorlton at the moment, but having been looking mostly in Didsbury/Chorlton/Withington/Whalley Range/Hulme/Stretford etc etc etc. It's hard to actually work out what is going on, some properties are selling,some aren't. We were going to put an offer on one reasonable ex council in Withington but a BTL came along and bought it for cash. So, we're holding on for a while, and may rent a bigger place, but if something comes along that we can afford (we are not planning on over stretching ourselves) then we're going for it!

I am based in Chorlton at the moment, but having been looking mostly in Didsbury/Chorlton/Withington/Whalley Range/Hulme/Stretford etc etc etc. It's hard to actually work out what is going on, some properties are selling,some aren't. We were going to put an offer on one reasonable ex council in Withington but a BTL came along and bought it for cash. So, we're holding on for a while, and may rent a bigger place, but if something comes along that we can afford (we are not planning on over stretching ourselves) then we're going for it!

Sounds like a good plan.

Another bull bites the dust. We'll soon have a singular point of view on this forum. Fair enough he may have been patronising/annoying at times, and his posts had become increasingly OTT, but I had never heard him state anything worthy of banning. Conflict can stimulate new idea's, I actually enjoyed some of his counter-arguments although they were condescending. Pity.

Another bull bites the dust. We'll soon have a singular point of view on this forum. Fair enough he may have been patronising/annoying at times, and his posts had become increasingly OTT, but I had never heard him state anything worthy of banning. Conflict can stimulate new idea's, I actually enjoyed some of his counter-arguments although they were condescending. Pity.

Totally agreed. I think he insulted one of the moderators (oldie?) once too many. Censorship will not help a HPC!

TBH I don't think Apollo really did believe what he was saying - I think he was just winding people up.

Most of his threads were either grasping at straws or using anectodal evidence while having a go at everyone else who did the same thing.

If his views had been genuine I would miss his input because getting a balance is good but if, as I suspect, he just liked winding people up then that is really a waste of time and energy for people who really do care about the Manchester housing market.

FWIW I had a purpose built flat I was selling (West Didsbury area) in the summer. I had an offer but the other party used so many delaying tactics that I decided to pull out and re let.

This I have done and I feel I the right thing. It's a 1 bed flat with a gagrage but I felt the EA (although his commission was cheap at 0.75%) was not really working in my interest.

Rent more than covers costs, i'm happy and so is the tenant.

(and befor eyou ask it is a modest 1 bed and i was asking £105,000.

I will wait till the market improves - -saves me the CGT anyway!

paul

Although (or maybe because) I found his bullish comments annoying, I was waiting for the NW downturn to see how he would respond. Of course he could have stopped posting then so I wouldn't get the satifaction in any case, but it does seem a pity he's gone...

Naw, good ridence; moving on...

:)

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if any of you could help. I'm thinking about moving to Manchester and am looking for somwhere to rent. I don't know the area at all and was wondering if you had any ideas of what areas are nice or where you get something nice for the money. My pricerange is £450-600 and i'l like somwhere funcky but not one of these city centre rabbit hutches,

Any help appreciated

FH

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if any of you could help. I'm thinking about moving to Manchester and am looking for somwhere to rent. I don't know the area at all and was wondering if you had any ideas of what areas are nice or where you get something nice for the money. My pricerange is £450-600 and i'l like somwhere funcky but not one of these city centre rabbit hutches,

Any help appreciated

FH

You need to post more info...e.g is it just you/couple/family - looking for house or flat - share or alone - travel distance to work etc.

Hi Everyone,

Any help appreciated

FH

Didsbury or Chorlton are probably the 'trendiest' areas. Didsbury has a nice village feel, although has been taken over a bit by chain pubs and bars as the professionals with all their money have moved in. West Didsbury is a bit more green and independent. Chorlton is a funny old place, a mix of normal working class, total nutters, hippies and wealthy/trendy/pretentious types. Personally I prefer Chorlton, but best bet is have a look round. Also you could consider:

Withington - almost student land, a few nutters reside there

Fallowfield - definately student land,

Rusholme - cheaper and has a large asian population (and great food!),

Whalley Range - near Chorlton, has some nice properties but not too many shops/pubs,

Hulme - new build, affordable rabbit hatch homes, close to town.

Moss side - has a bit of a 'reputation'.

Heaton Moor - Stockport really, quite posh though.

I don't know much about E, N or W Manchester, some areas should definately be avoided though!

Hi

I've been keeping my eye on a few three bed semi's in Sale. I'm planning to move back up north next year and I'd like to buy when the price is right.

This place:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-372..._t=buy&chnl=buy

was on for around 9 months before ssc. It started at 160k dropped to 155 and then had a offer accepted on the asking price of 145k. So thay looks like at least a 9.5% drop.