House Price Crash Forum

End Of Tenancy + No Hot Water For 2 Weeks

Liopik

Do not pay last months rent, if it is the same amount as your deposit.

Landlord will scream and shout but it`s not worth their while taking a claim out on you..

Thank you.

Yes, the deposit is 1 month amount.

By the way, one year ago they sent me letter asking to pay £30 fine for "late payment", otherwise it will be deducted from deposit. But I never changed the standing order, it stays 5 day before due date. And that month standing order payday was not neither friday, weekend or bank holiday. I emailed them with my bank statement and asked them to proof "late payment". Needless to say there was no reply. At that point it was clear the agents are dodgy little bit.

What is readonable? 1 week? 2 weeks? Month? 2? I bet even 5 years can be reasonable for the landlord :))

I'd say 'reasonable time' is however long the plumber says it'll take. Get your own quote if that seems unreasonable. Or if it'll speed things up, offer to get a plumber in yourself so you can talk directly about things like access (tradesmen are used to dealing with tenants and sending the bill to their landlords).

Quick update:

Got a phone call from agents on Sat. They told me that the landlord will pay me back all the money from last Friday till the day new boiler will be installed(hopefully second pard of this week). I asked them to email me this information. They promissed to do this on Monday (today) morning. And no email. I switched off the payment. Its no good to live without hot water for 18 days so far.

Quick update:

Got a phone call from agents on Sat. They told me that the landlord will pay me back all the money from last Friday till the day new boiler will be installed(hopefully second pard of this week). I asked them to email me this information. They promissed to do this on Monday (today) morning. And no email. I switched off the payment. Its no good to live without hot water for 18 days so far.

I suggest you email (or write) to the agents, copying in the LL confirming the details about Saturdays conversation when they told you about the refund. It's then up to them to decide if they wish to deny the conversation.

It's not quite proof but you put the onus back on them - and make sure the LL knows about the conversation.

Bankside

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! We have decided to pay the last month.

Quick update:

The boiler has been installed on 20.03.2013. Its all ok with hot water. Agents promissed me that the landlord will compensate me the days without water starting from 15.03 till the date boiler is installed. Which happend on 20th. I asked them to confirm on email when exactly I will getthat compensation. They emailed me that will be at the end of this week. Today is the last working day in this week. I emailed them asking for money. No reply. I phoned them up and they told me the cheque has been sent today. I asked to confirm that in email. No reply. I emailed them again. Still no reply. :(

• 3 weeks later...

the landlord sent me a cheque for 6 days without water. But I was actually 20 days without water.

Last week in the property now. What should I be carefull with when handing them the keys? Just to avoid troubles after.

We have done all the repair works they asked.

Any recomendations?

Thank you.

the landlord sent me a cheque for 6 days without water. But I was actually 20 days without water.

Last week in the property now. What should I be carefull with when handing them the keys? Just to avoid troubles after.

We have done all the repair works they asked.

Any recomendations?

Thank you.

I presume that the landlord/agent will send someone round to do the checkout?

If yes, then make sure that the paperwork is signed there and then - and that you get a copy!

Any issues, refuse to sign anything. Whip out your phone and take pictures of the item in contention. Include the agent in the picture :)

I presume that the landlord/agent will send someone round to do the checkout?

If yes, then make sure that the paperwork is signed there and then - and that you get a copy!

Any issues, refuse to sign anything. Whip out your phone and take pictures of the item in contention. Include the agent in the picture :)

Thank you very much! I didn't know that I have to sign something on the date of final inspection and handing them the keys.

What paperwork they will ask me to sign? And what to do if they won't ask me to sign anything?

Thank you very much! I didn't know that I have to sign something on the date of final inspection and handing them the keys.

What paperwork they will ask me to sign? And what to do if they won't ask me to sign anything?

Simple, get them to write the checkout condition on a piece of paper and sign it.. make sure you have a copy and dont accept any "we will send you one later". you want one there and then!

Simple, get them to write the checkout condition on a piece of paper and sign it.. make sure you have a copy and dont accept any "we will send you one later". you want one there and then!

Is there any sprecial frm for that? Or I can do that on any A4 paper (2 copies)?

What if I will email now the agency that I will request to sign "condition of the property" on the day of inspection?

Thank you!

Is there any sprecial frm for that? Or I can do that on any A4 paper (2 copies)?

What if I will email now the agency that I will request to sign "condition of the property" on the day of inspection?

Thank you!

Any paper will do, probably they will have a form they will fill in, but otherwise any a4

what you want is something confirming the state of the property along with signatures (theirs and yours), what it is on is irrelevant

As to the email, cant hurt