House Price Crash Forum

By the way, are there any 'oldies' on the board who remember the really cool packaging of yester-year??

I used to have a lovely little Oxo tin, the size of three Oxo cubes! I used to use it to store my *special* tobacco ;)

I'm guessing at the time these tins were cheap to produce, and they are totally recylable, would they be un-economic in todays world of throw away packaging? My mum/grandma used to have loads of these old tins full of all sorts of junk (buttons etc) so they never went to waste

Edited by uk_jash
Guest X-QUORK

Come on RFD, do you care about the environment or don't you? No point coming on here to whine about how terrible it is that society today doesn't give a toss about the environment, only to admit that you can't be ar$ed to recycle anything yourself. :rolleyes:

I buy locally grown organic fruit and veg and recycle as much household waste as possible. I know it's a drop in the ocean, but if more of us were to bother our ar$es then it might make some difference.

Edited by X-QUORK

Stupid arguement millions of people are crap parents doesn't mean you should join them. At the end of the day being green doesn't really cost / put you out by much and you gain satisfaction.

Also on another point it looks like in the event of Global Warming that florida and large parts of America may go first so that will soon change their attitudes.

Have you seen those history programs on TV comparing post war America and Europe, we had very little and rationing while America was booming with consumer goods. Well its still going on!

I'm green in that I generally don't buy what I dont need and buy fresh food to cook instead of heavily packaged stuff but as for walking half a mile to recycle a glass jar, forget it. Also my car is a very economical diesel and will soon be getting rid of it anyway.

The other day I was walking past a recycling centre and a guy had driven up in his Porsche, left the engine running and was putting some wine bottles into the glass bank :rolleyes:

From the McD website

One of our latest packaging innovations has been the development of packaging board from post-industrial recycled paper.

This means that we are using the off-cut material from industry paper cuttings to make our packaging. The board consists of 72% post-industrial recycled paper fibres and a grease resistant coating. This mix enables us to maximise the use of recycled materials.

Many other non-food items contain recycled materials. Items containing 100% post-consumer material (ie materials which have been used by the public – such as newspapers – and then collected for recycling are drink carriers, bags, napkins and toilet paper.

Just sayin'

By the way, are there any 'oldies' on the board who remember the really cool packaging of yester-year??

I used to have a lovely little Oxo tin, the size of three Oxo cubes! I used to use it to store my *special* tobacco ;)

I'm guessing at the time these tins were cheap to produce, and they are totally recylable, would they be un-economic in todays world of throw away packaging? My mum/grandma used to have loads of these old tins full of all sorts of junk (buttons etc) so they never went to waste

I'm a semi-oldie( 40yrs old), but not in Charlies league :) , who may correct me on the following:

Good on your gran, There used to be more of a culture of reuse, encouraged by the 30's depression & scarcity of 2 world wars. I beleive there was a problem (environmentally speaking) where a lot of people who lived through the wars who did not want to buy or use 2nd hand as it reminded them of the traumas of the war.

Tins like you mention were better made then , so lasted longer & maybe there was no so much of a 'keeping up with the jones' 'must have new' element to society as generally items were more expensive & debt was often frowned upon socially, compared to today. Arguably, houses are smaller these days so folks have less space to sore items for reuse, the minimalist anti-clutter movement (often evil & anti-eco IMO) had a big effect too.

The science of 'light weighting' which is design & manufacturing tins etc to be thinner / lighter but of adequate /similar short term strength has made these items a lot cheaper to make, along with the obvious increase in production efficiency, so more likely to be thrown away.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
I love that shop :D (it's still going strong, despite the competition from the likes of Curry's/Dixon's). If I'd bought it from one of them it would have been written off, or at best the entire circuit board would have been replaced with one flown in from China!
Dear God, how we need such shops!

Craftsmen who know what they're talking about. Is it so much to ask for?

Tins like you mention were better made then , so lasted longer & maybe there was no so much of a 'keeping up with the jones' 'must have new' element to society as generally items were more expensive & debt was often frowned upon socially, compared to today. Arguably, houses are smaller these days so folks have less space to sore items for reuse, the minimalist anti-clutter movement (often evil & anti-eco IMO) had a big effect too.

The science of 'light weighting' which is design & manufacturing tins etc to be thinner / lighter but of adequate /similar short term strength has made these items a lot cheaper to make, along with the obvious increase in production efficiency, so more likely to be thrown away.

That sound's true, I can think of a couple of things that still come in tins (some mints etc) but the quality just isn't the same.

I do wonder if we will end up going backwards, once the plastic has run out returning to all the old ways of packaging.

I'm alos thinking of buying up some old landfill sites so that in 30 years time I can mine the plastic out of them :-p

i just watched an ad for philidelphia mini biscuity cheesy dip snacks. same as KP dippers ect.

its made me realise were finished as a planet and as a people in union.

we dont care about the environment, the starving or anything else aside from making ourselves better than our neighbours. we will wreck the planet with mass factory plastic manufacture, -all to hold 4g of cream cheese and 9 biscuits. or the plastic kids meal toy in mcdonalds that help sell a 99p burger.

all this plastic - so we can have nibble convenience, while the planet pollutes and people starve to death.

then we save cans, just before we jet off to florida and burn a years car fuel each on the flight.

id grow my own veg, but im stuck in a flat in an inner city.

i may as well have some plastic too.

i personally dont recycle or take part in any enviro stuff.

its pointless. were all geared to destroy for profit or convenience.

as long as its not in OUR lifetime, i dont think we care.

The fact is that the Earth will survive no matter what humans do, and life on Earth will survive no matter what humans do, however the human species will not survive. So really what you are saying when you say "save the planet" is actually "save the human race".

It is also a fact that 99.99999% of all species that have lived on this planet are now extinct (some as a result of Human activity but most because of the natural process of Evolution) and I expect this trend will continue. Humans will become extinct whether by their own hand or not; it is simply a matter of time.

You may also want to bear in mind that in approximately 5 billion years the Sun will expand and engulf the inner planets of our Solar System (including Earth) before going Super Nova. I'm fairly confident recycling your glass bottles or switching the light off when you are out of the room isn't going to matter at all in the (very very) long term.

What capitalist society tries to hide & legislate against (because it is anti-consumerist) is that THE most important things are reduction & re-use, recycling is the least important. Firstly do not buy anything new wherever possible & secondly, buy secondhand or repair items.
I agree, but I don't think this will mean the end of capitalism. People will have to go for quality, rather than cheapness. And if manufacturers have to take responsibility for recycling their goods, they will make their products more long-lasting, and will offer to service them to a higher standard.

A good example would be your "Aga" oven (I don't own one, BTW!) or Rolls Royce cars. Of course, you'll need a loan to buy such things, which is where our credit industry comes in...

i just watched an ad for philidelphia mini biscuity cheesy dip snacks. same as KP dippers ect.

we dont care about the environment, the starving or anything else aside from making ourselves better than our neighbours. we will wreck the planet with mass factory plastic manufacture, -all to hold 4g of cream cheese and 9 biscuits. or the plastic kids meal toy in mcdonalds that help sell a 99p burger.

all this plastic - so we can have nibble convenience, while the planet pollutes and people starve to death.

then we save cans, just before we jet off to florida and burn a years car fuel each on the flight.

id grow my own veg, but im stuck in a flat in an inner city.

i may as well have some plastic too.

i personally dont recycle or take part in any enviro stuff.

its pointless. were all geared to destroy for profit or convenience.

as long as its not in OUR lifetime, i dont think we care.

Someone's been listening to too much Radiohead... :ph34r:

In terms of how much household waste is of total waste arisings:

"For every tonne of household waste we produce, commercial, industrial and construction businesses produce another six tonnes. Nearly one tonne is produced by services (shops, banks and insurance companies); a further two tonnes by the industries which make the goods we buy; and three tonnes are produced by the construction industry " - this is from http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/youre...rsion=1〈=_e

So it's not insignificant what we all do as individuals, but we also support a lot of industries (as consumers) which are very wasteful and we CAN have an impact on driving changes by refusing to buy things with too much packaging and choosing the less wasteful alternative.

Waste is a huge cost to society and the economy - there are more and more EC Directives governing the handling and disposal of waste, and disposing of waste correctly will have ever increasing costs (which will be paid for by business and taxes). So, reducing and re-using has a strong economic as well as environmental incentive. From the same site above "Fly-tipping has also increased in recent years, costing around £150 million each year to clear up. ".

There are lots of things you can do with unwanted stuff these days rather than just chuck it in the bin - check out this site http://www.free2collect.co.uk/

There are lots of things you can do with unwanted stuff these days rather than just chuck it in the bin - check out this site http://www.free2collect.co.uk/

That site is a great idea! If I had just bought a house I could equip it completely with the stuff off there, for free!

OK, some of it may be junk - but it would do until I could get my own stuff and then put the original stuff back in the free2collect network. I love it!

Edited by uk_jash

nah. i read all the posts. ive decided to become the anti green and hurry up our own extinction.

why save paper only for a huge big ass truck to turn up choking the street to take them to an electrically powered factory and process them back into reams of paper, which then get trucked back out to offices. for them to print pointless pie charts about how many philidelphia cheesy dippers got sold that hour.

nah. im calling it a day. i wont chuck my trash about for the sake of animals, but im boiling as many full kettles i can get my hands on., if i see recycle bins left out. well i might be tempted to go mix them all up.

i was about a couple of weeks ago and was out in the sticks looking at this rather nice farmouse which was rennovated within a large plot along the edge of this public footpath. this mercedes pulls up and then turns into the drive. and this is true. the woman scowled at me as if to say 'geroof my land' which it wasnt. so i gave me back my best serial killer look and she dissapeared. then as i went home the lights went on the outside of the pretty farmhouse. all nice in blue and green floods. what a waste of energy. and what a freaky women. in a gas guzller.

no. fock em' thats all im saying.

they can recycle my turds.....

in fact, they probably do.

we cant burn like this. saving the shavings will not cut it.

all it does is convince the masses to continue on consuming for profit rather than need.

...meanwhile back at the farmhouse youngest sister libby is asker mother dear about her new brats playhouse and wanting this and that. and little tommy wants to go to pizza knut. and mr breezy comes in a eats a ready meal. then they all have a bath and the fires are all on. and all the lights are on. and theres 3 cars in the drive. and the exterior ambient floods are on.

and the last thing at night mrs flamboyant pops out in her slippers and put 2 cans and 1 paper in a blue and green bin.

get lost !!

Edited by right_freds_dead

nah. i read all the posts. ive decided to become the anti green and hurry up our own extinction.

why save paper only for a huge big ass truck to turn up choking the street to take them to an electrically powered factory and process them back into reams of paper, which then get trucked back out to offices. for them to print pointless pie charts about how many philidelphia cheesy dippers got sold that hour.

nah. im calling it a day. i wont chuck my trash about for the sake of animals, but im boiling as many full kettles i can get my hands on., if i see recycle bins left out. well i might be tempted to go mix them all up.

i was about a couple of weeks ago and was out in the sticks looking at this rather nice farmouse which was rennovated within a large plot along the edge of this public footpath. this mercedes pulls up and then turns into the drive. and this is true. the woman scowled at me as if to say 'geroof my land' which it wasnt. so i gave me back my best serial killer look and she dissapeared. then as i went home the lights went on the outside of the pretty farmhouse. all nice in blue and green floods. what a waste of energy. and what a freaky women. in a gas guzller.

all it does is convince the masses to continue on consuming for profit rather than need.

...meanwhile back at the farmhouse youngest sister libby is asker mother dear about her new brats playhouse and wanting this and that. and little tommy wants to go to pizza knut. and mr breezy comes in a eats a ready meal. then they all have a bath and the fires are all on. and all the lights are on. and theres 3 cars in the drive. and the exterior ambient floods are on.

and the last thing at night mrs flamboyant pops out in her slippers and put 2 cans and 1 paper in a blue and green bin.

get lost !!

I reckon there's a business in recycling your humour Fred. Admirably, relying on your creative powers, you don't do it yourself :D

get lost !!

You left out the bit about them planning a holiday at their little place in Spain.

It's ok though, because they fly on a budget airline.

Then of course, that BTL in Bulgaria idea, sounds tempting.

"But we do our bit you know".

I think you should eat a nice big chocolate bar!

:)

I think you should eat a nice big chocolate bar!

ive busted out the tequila. im done with work today. this is the third day in a row.

though theres only a third of a bottle left. i think ill polish it off, then ill order a chinese.

for delivery of course.

if you cant beat em'. or come anywhere near them.

do whats best for own interest.

yeah. thats what ill do. ill watch the queens cavalry on bbc then switch to itv at 9pm for doc martin.

i can then lose myself in a pastoral existance in cornwall and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to get all eco friendly tomorrow.

Edited by right_freds_dead

great topic

pre 1930 when people bought furniture and houshold items like cutlery and pots and pans ect ect, they were built to last a lifetime, infact much has lasted many lifetimes, with consumerism responsible for the items that are gone mostly not wear and tear.

Houses and buildings were built in this way as well, its why there still here to this day while there knocking down all the stuff they built in the 60s.

You actually have more chance of finding a victorian wardrobe or chair than you do one built in the 1970s.people took pride in there work and customers didint mind paying for it because it was a once in a lifetime purchase, when you think about it this is still achievable by stopping looking short-term, stopping buying mfi flatpack ect.

the plywood furniture made after the wars due to shortages was for a serious need, the government instituted it the trouble is the manufacturers of it then saw what a good thing it was, and the demise of the local cabinet maker started.

One easy thing that would affect no-one and probably wouldnt even be noticed, yet would save about 5% of all electricity used in the uk would be to ban standard lightbulbs, ban them imported or made here.Just doing that would probably save as much energy as all the recycling. ive no idea why it aint implimented.

Edited by homeless

Fred, I don't wanna depress you even more, but I'm afraid you don't know the half of it. If there is intelligent life out there somewhere, here is why they will wipe us out the minute they clap their 74-compound-purple (just a guess) eyes on us:

Virtual property market booming

Edited by Sledgehead

great topic

pre 1930 when people bought furniture and houshold items like cutlery and pots and pans ect ect, they were built to last a lifetime, infact much has lasted many lifetimes, with consumerism responsible for the items that are gone mostly not wear and tear.

Houses and buildings were built in this way as well, its why there still here to this day while there knocking down all the stuff they built in the 60s.

You actually have more chance of finding a victorian wardrobe or chair than you do one built in the 1970s.people took pride in there work and customers didint mind paying for it because it was a once in a lifetime purchase, when you think about it this is still achievable by stopping looking short-term, stopping buying mfi flatpack ect.

the plywood furniture made after the wars due to shortages was for a serious need, the government instituted it the trouble is the manufacturers of it then saw what a good thing it was, and the demise of the local cabinet maker started.

One easy thing that would affect no-one and probably wouldnt even be noticed, yet would save about 5% of all electricity used in the uk would be to ban standard lightbulbs, ban them imported or made here.Just doing that would probably save as much energy as all the recycling. ive no idea why it aint implimented.

Banning consumers buying goods rarely happens IMO, as its political suicide, the uk business retail lobby is so strong they would destroy any political party that tried it. Businesses fear legislation, as it forces them to change & usually costs them some profit. Obviously, there can be too much red tape in some cases.

Only the EU seem to have the guts / size to take on the corporate lobby in the environmental areas, hence the recent Waste Electronic & Electrical Directive - WEEE & End of Life Vehicle -ELV Directive (mixed success).

The corps own the US Gov's ars. hence their appalling eco-record.

Often , it actually suits the corporations to have stuff recycled, as it is smashed up and cannot be reused or repaired, forcing someone to buy a new one from them. That is why some manufacturers do a 'bring in your old oven /hoover when you buy a new one & get a small discount' .

I've known of manufacturers who will not give these old appliances to reuse charities, rather having their function destroyed in recycling than training some long term jobless folks a repair trade.

I think it was wired magazine where I read an interesting theory a few years ago, along the lines of technology advancing & becoming intelligent enough to realise that it was collective humanity that was destroying the earth. The technology would therefore team up with nature against the human race to preserve itself.

Given the recent eco-nightmare of the Chinese starting to drive cars on-mass bringing on an enviro crisis in enormous resource use expansion and scarcity - eg oil, it would be a rather ironic seeing them create the tech than will eventually destroy them if the above theory becomes true; as they make much of it.

When in the recycling/reuse game I saw scrap metal go from £5 a tonne to £50 a tonne in 9-12 months as the Chinese bought almost everything metal they could. It was like the Borg out of Star Trek, landing on the planet & hoovering up the metal resources.

Sometimes I see parallels between the Chinese as the robots in the Animatrix short film, who in the film were given their own state as they ruined the economy as no one could compete with them.

Who can compete with the Chinese overlords & their billions of slaves in manufacturing?

Eventually, only the incresingly, smarter cheaper robots/ tech/ AI. I guess, unless we have increasingtrade barriers & protectionism.

:(

Second that. I am by nature a lazy slob who would not get involved with anything like that and was dragged into it by my missus. I now do the recycling, fair trade, local produce shite and one you get into the habbit it's difficult to stop. I think it's a bit like using a seat belt. Maybe £50.00 fines are the answer.

some councils are reducing dustbin collections to two weekly rather than every week - but also providing a recycling collection service to try and encourage people to recycle.

I read an interesting theory a few years ago, along the lines of technology advancing & becoming intelligent enough to realise that it was collective humanity that was destroying the earth. The technology would therefore team up with nature against the human race to preserve itself.

Yeah , that's right, it's gonna happen in 2029... that's when Skynet becomes self-aware.

Edited by Sledgehead

Yeah , that's right, it's gonna happen in 2029... that's when Skynet becomes self-aware.

Guess I asked for that, mentioning the Borg & the Animatrix in one post. :)

From memory, the Wired magazine article theorised on the smart technology wanting to protect itself from the humans who were on a self-destructive suicide mission.

Given the choice to team up with humans or the planet, the logical choice was nature/ the planet as it was not destined for extinction like humanity with its wasteful behaviour.

The tech. did not want the power or planet for itself, just that given the virus like behaviour of humanity with resource over-use & war etc, it had no choice.

I think that differed from the T3 movie, and anyway Judge Dredd's going to save us.