House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

Admit It. Were Finished.,

i just watched an ad for philidelphia mini biscuity cheesy dip snacks. same as KP dippers ect.

its made me realise were finished as a planet and as a people in union.

we dont care about the environment, the starving or anything else aside from making ourselves better than our neighbours. we will wreck the planet with mass factory plastic manufacture, -all to hold 4g of cream cheese and 9 biscuits. or the plastic kids meal toy in mcdonalds that help sell a 99p burger.

all this plastic - so we can have nibble convenience, while the planet pollutes and people starve to death.

then we save cans, just before we jet off to florida and burn a years car fuel each on the flight.

id grow my own veg, but im stuck in a flat in an inner city.

i may as well have some plastic too.

i personally dont recycle or take part in any enviro stuff.

its pointless. were all geared to destroy for profit or convenience.

as long as its not in OUR lifetime, i dont think we care.

i just watched an ad for philidelphia mini biscuity cheesy dip snacks. same as KP dippers ect.

we dont care about the environment, the starving or anything else aside from making ourselves better than our neighbours. we will wreck the planet with mass factory plastic manufacture, -all to hold 4g of cream cheese and 9 biscuits. or the plastic kids meal toy in mcdonalds that help sell a 99p burger.

all this plastic - so we can have nibble convenience, while the planet pollutes and people starve to death.

then we save cans, just before we jet off to florida and burn a years car fuel each on the flight.

I felt exactly the same way about that ad...

Don't people with kids care?

Surely by not buying that crap, or any over-packaged stuff you can make an iota of difference? I dunno. I'm still undecided whether it's idealistic garbage and all the recycling just goes straight to landfill while we pay more council tax and feel smug about 'helping the environement', but to just not bother doesn't seem right either...

This was all being predicted 30 years ago when i was at school.They had us all writing doom mongering essays & poems.Yet we're all still here, the planets ticking over nicely. Don't worry about it.

I blame Kinder buenos, i open up and then each bar is wrapped. I can't stand opening stuff up to find half a rain forest inside, hopefully i'll be long dead before it really matters though ;)

Recycling doesn't go to the landfill, and I'm surprised to hear someone complaining about how wasteful we are saying they don't bother recycling. :o

I get very annoyed with the laziness of people who can't be bothered to seperate plastic, paper and glass thats bound for the dustbin, and that's the easiest recycling you can do.

Almost as annoying as seeing a luxury flat with 300 light fitting scattered about the ceilings and walls. Wasteful and ignorant. :angry:

This was all being predicted 30 years ago when i was at school.They had us all writing doom mongering essays & poems.Yet we're all still here, the planets ticking over nicely. Don't worry about it.

you must appreciate that this argument is analagous to

"you lot were predicting an HP in 2003/4 (whenever) and it didn't happen, so obviously it's never going to"

My TV broke down 2 days ago. It's one of the original widescreens, 32", 100HZ job that cost £1200 back in 1998. And that was a good deal!

Anyway, picture has gone and it's probably very simple to mend but it's a complete gamble and a massive hassle because it is so big and weighs so much. Have to pay £30 upfront just to get someone to look at it. And I've been told it could be anything, could cost a few quid, could cost more, might not be able to get the parts as TV is 7 years old etc etc.

All the recommendations I've had are to buy a new one because it's not really worth fixing it. Therefore I'm buying a new one, 28" with in built digital for £299. And when that breaks I guess I'll throw that away too.

Crazy.

Was amazed walking into Curry's yesterday to find that the TV section is now completely dominated by LCD and Plasma TVs, do you know you can buy a 63" Plasma TV?

Recycling doesn't go to the landfill...

I choose to believe that most of the time, but I've never actually followed the recyle lorry. Have you?

and I'm surprised to hear someone complaining about how wasteful we are saying they don't bother recycling. :o

But it was in a "overwhelmed by the hoplessness of it all" way, which I can quite understand - the promiscuous consumption of modern (post-) industrial society IS overwhelming, there's just so much damn waste how can recycling a few cans make any difference at all? I have no stats for this, but I'm sure that, say, the building industry generates MUCH more unecessary waste than domestic consumption. And that's just one of many sectors.

I get very annoyed with the laziness of people who can't be bothered to seperate plastic, paper and glass thats bound for the dustbin, and that's the easiest recycling you can do.

Almost as annoying as seeing a luxury flat with 300 light fitting scattered about the ceilings and walls. Wasteful and ignorant. :angry:

Couldn't agree more.

My TV broke down 2 days ago. It's one of the original widescreens, 32", 100HZ job that cost £1200 back in 1998. And that was a good deal!

Anyway, picture has gone and it's probably very simple to mend but it's a complete gamble and a massive hassle because it is so big and weighs so much. Have to pay £30 upfront just to get someone to look at it. And I've been told it could be anything, could cost a few quid, could cost more, might not be able to get the parts as TV is 7 years old etc etc.

All the recommendations I've had are to buy a new one because it's not really worth fixing it. Therefore I'm buying a new one, 28" with in built digital for £299. And when that breaks I guess I'll throw that away too.

Crazy.

Was amazed walking into Curry's yesterday to find that the TV section is now completely dominated by LCD and Plasma TVs, do you know you can buy a 63" Plasma TV?

At least consider putting it in on your local Freecycle website before you take it to the tip. Someone might be able to fix and use it, thereby keeping it out of landfill long after your new TV gives up the ghost! We've fixed our old widescreen three times (each time cost about £20 I think) now and it gives me a lovely, smug feeling to know I've kept the TV out of the big hole in the ground for a bit longer, meanwhile decent plasma screen prices may drop to a reasonable price for when it finally does become irreparable.

If you've got an energy source, then I wouldn't be surprised if much stuff can be recycled, or converted into a more stable form.

We're only just starting to have a "national dialogue" (as NL would put it) about nuclear power, when we should be building the bloody things now...

What I find amusing is those that paid £2500 for a plasma a year or two ago.(We know 4 people who 'invested' in one)

Nobody knows the longevety of these things compared to a John Logi Baird!

Say it lasts 6 years. Without paying on credit they pay well over £400 p.a. - just to watch the damn thing - madness!

.....Yet we're all still here, the planets ticking over nicely. Don't worry about it.

Hello, which planet do you live on? It sure sounds nice. Have you room for one more?

:blink::blink::blink:

What I find amusing is those that paid £2500 for a plasma a year or two ago.(We know 4 people who 'invested' in one)

Nobody knows the longevety of these things compared to a John Logi Baird!

Say it lasts 6 years. Without paying on credit they pay well over £400 p.a. - just to watch the damn thing - madness!

The price reductions in electronic goods does amaze me. I worked for EPSON 10 years ago, basic inkjet printers were being sold then out of PC World stores for around £400 and when the scanners came out, about the same.

In Curry's they had an EPSON combined printer/scanner for £79. That's only 10% of the cost of the equivalent 10 years ago.

Of course this is partly why inflation has been kept so low but this downward price pressure can't go on forever. Perhaps we've reached the bottom, or soon will.

I used to be a bit 'Eco' myself, recycling when I could and whatnot, then I went on holiday to the US. Now I really don't bother, I cant see its worth it. Whats the point of driving a small 60mpg car and recycling plastics and glass when 250,000,000 people are driving around in huge trucks and using the Earths resources as quickly as possible. Then think about China, billions of people, all dreaming of the day when they can own a car and consume much more than they need !

I do recycle - carefully. I take the paper wrappers off tins etc.

But I know what you mean. I often look at packaging and think - what's the bloody point? Packet of cream crackers comes in a bit of paper. Other stuff comes in plastic moulds with paper glued on and cellophane tops etc. No idea what to do with them.

Why don't the w@nkers do something sensible and say that within 5 years every bit of packaging must be easily recyclable. Just that. Nothing else. Fail to comply and you can't sell your product.

Crazy.

About 10-15 years ago my JVC stereo (A MIDI HiFi which was top stuff back then) broke down. I took it back to the place I bought it from to see if they could fix it. The shop was an old hardware store that also sold some white goods and some TV's/stereos etc. At the time (I *think* because of some price fixing) the stereo was exactly the same price in Curry's Dixon's etc and this local shop so I bought it from them.

They said they'd have a look at it, had it for a few days and I popped in a couple of times to find a couple of old boy's testing the circuit board's and investigating the problem. Eventually they called me to say they'd fixed it, I went in to pick it up and they chraged me 50p for the capacitor and "just give us a tenner for the labour"!

I love that shop :D (it's still going strong, despite the competition from the likes of Curry's/Dixon's). If I'd bought it from one of them it would have been written off, or at best the entire circuit board would have been replaced with one flown in from China!

Edited by uk_jash

I used to be a bit 'Eco' myself, recycling when I could and whatnot, then I went on holiday to the US. Now I really don't bother, I cant see its worth it. Whats the point of driving a small 60mpg car and recycling plastics and glass when 250,000,000 people are driving around in huge trucks and using the Earths resources as quickly as possible. Then think about China, billions of people, all dreaming of the day when they can own a car and consume much more than they need !

But that doesn't make it morally ok to opt out. That's such a cop out, defeatist attitude. Yes, ultimately you may be right, but if we don't try we're as bad as Them (and I'm half-American, I'll have you know).

Actually, as people here may know, I do like to look on the gloomy side of life. But, where I live, it's actually quite heartening on recycling day. Virtually every house has the boxes out with plastic and cardboard separated.

Without any government diktats or threats. Somehow the message seems to have got across here.

Someone mentioned buildings. Skip after skip after skip of all sorts of crap leaves building sites. Some sites I have been on had them changed every few hours. All used to go to Surrey Docks when I worked in London years ago. God knows what happened to them - are they under all the new riverside developments?

Stupid arguement millions of people are crap parents doesn't mean you should join them. At the end of the day being green doesn't really cost / put you out by much and you gain satisfaction.

Also on another point it looks like in the event of Global Warming that florida and large parts of America may go first so that will soon change their attitudes.

Why don't the w@nkers do something sensible and say that within 5 years every bit of packaging must be easily recyclable. Just that. Nothing else. Fail to comply and you can't sell your product.

And bring in mandatory charging for plastic bags! They charge 2p for a plastic bag at our local discount department store and it actually makes people think twice - it's incredible!

Stupid arguement millions of people are crap parents doesn't mean you should join them. At the end of the day being green doesn't really cost / put you out by much and you gain satisfaction.

Second that. I am by nature a lazy slob who would not get involved with anything like that and was dragged into it by my missus. I now do the recycling, fair trade, local produce shite and one you get into the habbit it's difficult to stop. I think it's a bit like using a seat belt. Maybe £50.00 fines are the answer.

Fred, by coincidence I was dismayed when walking past (never in) McDonalds & seeing the amount of unecessary packaging on the tables. Of course, it was simply a waste of resources for branding /brainwashing as usual.

I agree that 'civilised society ' has had it, in the long term IMO and we are heading for a great cull, simply because the resources are running out, & now faster than thought previously, despite the lies we are told to the contrary, hence the current wars on oil/ water and 'technology will save us' fantasies.

However, I disagree that some recycling is a waste of time. If it does not involve excess energy use, we can extend the length of civilisation by cutting down of the use of new resources.

The problem with the recycling industy is the the biz side is like the mafia & the charity side are like a cartel of box ticking, funding junkies in many cases, who will spout any rubbish to continue getting their income stream whatever the envirionmental benefit, whether it be tonnes or £'s, I experienced this when working in this industry.

What capitalist society tries to hide & legislate against (because it is anti-consumerist) is that THE most important things are reduction & re-use, recycling is the least important. Firstly do not buy anything new wherever possible & secondly, buy secondhand or repair items.

Sadly as other posters mention, repairs are uneconomic, due to the use of slave labour in China under globalisation with criminally cheap transport fuel to make items. Hopefully, the increase in fuel prices will change this equation a bit as oil becomes scarcer.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship