House Price Crash Forum

60K Job In London = Minimum Wage Job Oop North

HOLA441
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Quite. The effects can already be seen here after one generation (well, one generation to normal people, 2/3 generations to "them"). Even something as fundamental as language - I've met people who literally struggle to communicate beyond a series of grunts and whose children are "raised" in a constant tirade of f-words. Just the other day I heard a woman in the street remark to her friend - loudly enough for several surrounding streets to hear - "If that little ****er doesn't pack it in I'm gonna kick his ****in' head in". She was talking about her son who I would guess was about three.

Boy am I confident for the future.

That's true, the use of language is definitely getting less comprehensible, and in some cased unintelligible....

I guess not so long before the welfare state (and before women worked - admittedly there are some advancements in society), women would make sure they married men who they thought could look after them. And this usually meant they would be intelligent enough to speak so you could understand them.

Most of the men who weren't bright enough to do factory work etc of the time, were instead well qualified for the most readily available job: Cannon Fodder in any of the numerous wars which took place over the centuries. This doesn't happen anymore perhaps with the exception of the USA...

HOLA443

A study of the true spending power of salaries around the country concludes that those in the North of England enjoy a higher standard of living and a better quality of life.

The study, by Barclays Bank, highlights the fact that, while the biggest salaries are available in the South, the high cost of living there means the money does not go as far as it does elsewhere.

Link

Apologies if already linked, and double apologies 'cos it's the daily mail. In fact, don't read it.

Anyway, this is the law of rent in action.

HOLA444

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I have noticed that people seem friendlier, are less stressed, are not always in a rush and walk around more with a smile on their faces in certain places than others, road rage and bad aggressive driving also is a distinctive difference noticed. ;)

HOLA445

I think it is more serious than that. The entire system massively encourages the poor and those unable to contribute to society to breed heavily. We live in an affluent county and in the local paper it stated that 50% of children in the county live at or close to the what the government considers to be the poverty line. This must indicate that those who are able to afford children themselves only have one or two when they can afford them and those that cannot have 3 to 6 without having the resources to bring them up. Those without the resources will be the ones claiming benefits and breeding. With such an imbalance it will only require a few more generations before 90% of the population are people who act and behave like chavs. No doubt when this happens there will be even greater demands to take everything away from those who are better off, more intelligent and harder working.

There has never been a period in human history where people unable to look after their children have had so much help from others. The others could probably afford more children if they did not have so much taken from them to hand to those who cannot.

If you cannot afford a house you cannot buy one, if you cannot afford a car you cannot buy one, but if you cannot afford children, the government will pay you a significant amount to have them. This must be wrong.

Do you think most poor people enjoy living in poverty?? I'd suggest you actually talk to some. The vast majority are trying to make a decent life for themselves and their families but are trapped in a spiral of low wages and increasing living costs. Economic policy of all governments since the early 80s has created a huge gap between rich and poor, and that's the real crime.

HOLA446

Do you think most poor people enjoy living in poverty?? I'd suggest you actually talk to some. The vast majority are trying to make a decent life for themselves and their families but are trapped in a spiral of low wages and increasing living costs. Economic policy of all governments since the early 80s has created a huge gap between rich and poor, and that's the real crime.

I suggest you try reading the last 4 pages again: the underlying theme is that some benefits recipients are in fact earning more money (net) than the average worker.

Meanwhile, the number of people sleeping rough on the streets of London seems to go up every time I have to go to that city.

The main complaint of this thread - if I may summarise it - is that the benefits system is not fulfilling its role of a "safety net". It's not helping the poor; instead it's picking some categories of society, and showering them with money.

HOLA447

What no one seems to have pointed out is how much better off a family with a £60k earner are if they leave! I separated from my wife last year (obviously for personal reasons). After she started low paid work and I paid £700 PCM for a perfectly nice rented flat. If you considered us as a family we were around £1200 PCM better off. When we did financial declarations recently she had saved £6k in 12 months and was considering renting a Greek Villa for her and the kids in the summer. This something that we could never have afforded whilst together! Moreover, the children will get extra assistance when they go to

University next year...

Why stay together in this climate....

HOLA448

How does this thread square with stories like this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21755034

Is the story just propaganda, trying to make people think that being on benefits is a hard life when really it's not? Shouldn't all these people be taking 3 foreign holidays a year and driving brand new cars rather than living hand to mouth?

I'm genuinely confused.

HOLA449

How does this thread square with stories like this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21755034

Is the story just propaganda, trying to make people think that being on benefits is a hard life when really it's not? Shouldn't all these people be taking 3 foreign holidays a year and driving brand new cars rather than living hand to mouth?

I'm genuinely confused.

I was born in Hull, have you ever been to Orchard Park? it is without doubt the worse place in the UK i have ever fled from. I'd rather live in.. erm no i can't think of anywhere worse...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Take a look at Rowley Way in the Peckham thread.

I had a look. where are the burnt out vehicles on bricks, feral dogs and children?

To answer the question again,

The point is to have kids. I think it was Orchard Park where Prescott took the BBC to find out about class in modern britain, it produced on of the most hilarious and telling exchanges in modern TV when he asked a single mum is she considered herself working class, she replied "no cos i don't work" !!

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4412

I had a look. where are the burnt out vehicles on bricks, feral dogs and children?

To answer the question again,

The point is to have kids. I think it was Orchard Park where Prescott took the BBC to find out about class in modern britain, it produced on of the most hilarious and telling exchanges in modern TV when he asked a single mum is she considered herself working class, she replied "no cos i don't work" !!

I have some long lost family in Hull, my mum was adopted and her birth parents are from there. The last adress i have is anlaby road. But i've never looked them up, so no idea what it's like.

Anyway, enough about me... i'm still confused. Don't all these people claim the equivalent of a 60k job in benefits?

Edited by frozen_out

HOLA4413

The thread is all about numbers.

The fact is a family with 3 kids and one earner in london on 60k will live a similar life to a shelf stacker with 3 kids in durham.

Ive shown the sums, thats just how it is.

Wheher EITHER family is living a good life is open to question.

The 60k family in london cant afford 3 foreign holidays or a new car either.

Nobody is saying that people are rich on benefits, its more like people on good money in London live an ordinary life because of tax and high costs, and people on minimum wage up north live an ordinary life because of low costs and tax credits.

Edited by ItsColdUpHere

HOLA4414

Nobody is saying that people are rich on benefits, its more like people on good money in London live an ordinary life because of tax and high costs, and people on minimum wage up north live an ordinary life because of low costs and tax credits.

What about someone who bought a house 15 years ago in London on 60k? They will be much better off than someone on benefits up North. It is the housing market which has taken the benefit away from living in London. But just comparing housing costs doesn't have to be over such a great distance. Someone on 150k renting in Chelsea can be much worse off than someone on 50k renting in Tottenham.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Obviously.

As will people who inherited wealth, won the pools, have parents who bought them a house, deal drugs on the side etc.

The whole point of my post was about house prices in combination with taxes and tax credits stealing/redistributing wealth, which kind of implied buying with modern high house prices.

I didnt realise I had to be that specific - i meant a someone on 60k buying or renting now in london.

Edited by ItsColdUpHere

HOLA4417

What about someone who bought a house 15 years ago in London on 60k? They will be much better off than someone on benefits up North. It is the housing market which has taken the benefit away from living in London.

In fact, the 60k earner/renter "loses" about 43k of his extra 47k pre-tax money relative to the minimum wage earner/renter up north, to end up only a bit better off.

Of this, approximately 33k is through the tax and benefits system and only 10k to extra rent.

So the tax/tax credit/student loan/child benefit factor is over 3 times the house price factor.

High house prices arent the only problem in this country...

Edited by ItsColdUpHere

HOLA4418

What no one seems to have pointed out is how much better off a family with a £60k earner are if they leave! I separated from my wife last year (obviously for personal reasons). After she started low paid work and I paid £700 PCM for a perfectly nice rented flat. If you considered us as a family we were around £1200 PCM better off. When we did financial declarations recently she had saved £6k in 12 months and was considering renting a Greek Villa for her and the kids in the summer. This something that we could never have afforded whilst together! Moreover, the children will get extra assistance when they go to

University next year...

Why stay together in this climate....

Interesting story.

HOLA4419

Interesting story.

Actually its even stranger than that i got some debts from the marriage but my wife has just declared her monthly income as £2.5k a month with 3 days a week of supplying teaching and maintenance+ tax credits+ child benefit

I had to give my wife a mortgage free house but i am now living with my new partner who has a good job in a very nice flat, we are basically financially in a different world from a year ago, best thing i ever did both emotionally and financially...