House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FedupTeddiBear

I Hope They Do These In Many More Areas Where Hpcers Live!

This evening I was saved from an unpleasant telesales call by a knock on the door.

It happened to be someone from the local council doing a HOUSING survey :D .

There were about 100 questions asking people what they thought of the local area, local house prices, new developments, etc…

Needless to say, I brought up the issue of too high house prices as often as it allowed.

Has anyone here had a similar knock on the door?

Most areas do a housing review every now and again to check 'future need'. The last one done in my area concluded that there was a need for more rented accomodation (i think it even mentioned 2 bed flat type accomodation) - makes you wonder doesn't it because from what I can see there is a shortage of family accomodation.

They also concluded that some existing housing was inflexible e.g you can't extend terrace housing - if they get too small you have to move. Does make you wonder why they seem to be building so many terrace houses then doesn't it?

Guest Bart of Darkness
This evening I was saved from an unpleasant telesales call

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. It is a legal requirement that companies do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS.

The original legislation was introduced in May 1999. It has subsequently been updated and now the relevant legislation is the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

Who can register?

The term individual includes consumers at their residential address, sole traders and, except in Scotland, partnerships.

How long will it take to become effective?

Once a number has been registered it will become effective in 28 days.

Is there any charge for registering?

No, it's free to register on the TPS.

Who pays for TPS?

No money is received from the Government to run the Service, the direct marketing industry pays for it.

Still can't stop calls from abroad mind, but telesales companies in this country who ring you after 28 days of registering are breaking the law.

I've been registered with them for months. It's fab.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Still can't stop calls from abroad mind, but telesales companies in this country who ring you after 28 days of registering are breaking the law.

I've been registered with them for months. It's fab.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

It's the mobile phone salespeople who call from India (on behalf of English companies) that REALLY get on my t*ts. I suppose they are included in the "calls from abroad" category!

:angry:

They can be foul sometimes. One told me to f*** off one day after I refused to tell him my name until he gave me his name, and the company he was calling from.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

It's the mobile phone salespeople who call from India (on behalf of English companies) that REALLY get on my t*ts. I suppose they are included in the "calls from abroad" category!

:angry:

They can be foul sometimes. One told me to f*** off one day after I refused to tell him my name until he gave me his name, and the company he was calling from.

We get this in Australia, too. I have been phoned at least 4 times by the same company over the last few months.

Each time I politely explain that they can tell from my phone number that my phone is part of an overall package, and that there's no point in my changing unless the line rental is free.

Mostly they leave at that point, but if they ignore what I'm telling them and continue with their script I get :angry: :angry: :angry:

I too am on the telephone preference service and it has cut the number of calls down a lot, except those from the drunk looking for Marion every few months.

But, I have recently been getting calls from asian sounding people (the only reason I mention this is because of the comment from another poster that these might be originating from abroad and hence not be subject to the TPS) trying to sell me a mobile phone.

There are many tactics to employ for unwanted telemarketing calls:

1 Do the Nambarrie tea advert thing. Put the bugger on hold.

2 Tell them you are recording the whole conversation (or have recorded the whole conversation). You can get a device from Maplin's for £10 to allow you to connect to a dictaphone or tape recorder.

3 Put him on speaker phone and don't say anything, then let him finish his spiel in his own time, chuckling to yourself when he's saying "Hello? Hello?".

4 Pretend you are hard of hearing and ask him to repeat everything.

5 Ask him how to spell any technical words, or explain what it means, like "What's a text message? Is that like a telegram?".

6 Give him Tony Blair's name and address and the telephone number of the trading standards.

Myself I usually just say "not interested" and hang up, I'm afraid.

I found a simple solution - cancel BT and just use a mobile! I couldn't justify £10 a month to be rung up at 9am on a Saturday morning by someone asking if I wanted to save 10% on the 5p of calls I usually made each month :)

There was a great one in the Torygraph. Hope I'm not offending anyone here, btw, I'm not meaning to!

Just tell your telesales caller that you'd love to talk about their product but first you want to talk to them about Jesus. Apparantly the guy that uses this one ends up with the telesales guy telling THEM about the telephone preference service. :lol:

Anyway, back to the topic - I got a survey thru the post from the Council about development in the area so yes, I put my 2p in about no more luxury flats please but whatever the local NIMBYS say the rest of us need somewhere to live.

Don't forget the MPS as well. Mail Prefernce Service, either same company or there is a link on TPS site. I did it a few years ago along with a sign from our local police warning off doorstep callers.

Recently Royal Mail have been circumventing the MPS registration though by delivering huge amounts of junk unnamed through my door. MPS can't do anything, RM not interested - just goes straight in bin.

I found a form at my library to get the RM to not deliver this "extra mail". You had to fill it in and post it. A few months later it suddenly worked. Sorry I can't remember the details.

Following the shake up at Royal Mail over recent years many people have inadvertantly benefited from this type of service, the junk mail no longer turns up... nor does any other mail, that usually ends up stuffed behind a phone box half way down the street but that's beside the point!