House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

Time To Put Wh Smith Out If Its Misery

Popped into WH Smiths today to buy birthday cards for my wife, one from myself and also from the kids, plus a spare birthday card to keep at home in case I needed one at short notice for friends/kids friends. As I picked up the cards there was no obvious pricing, so I just waited to get this at tiill.

Anyway, got to the till and the bill came out at £15, so over £3 per card. I told the assistant the assistant that was ridiculous and left the cards with him at the counter.

On the way back I went to the local Asian run shop and found 4 perfectly respectable cards for just over £5.

Does anyone here still use WH Smiths? I am fortunate enough not to have to really worry too much about money, but £15 for 4 cards just seemed totally ridiculous. I have vowed never to enter WH Smith ever again.

Popped into WH Smiths today to buy birthday cards for my wife, one from myself and also from the kids, plus a spare birthday card to keep at home in case I needed one at short notice for friends/kids friends. As I picked up the cards there was no obvious pricing, so I just waited to get this at tiill.

Anyway, got to the till and the bill came out at £15, so over £3 per card. I told the assistant the assistant that was ridiculous and left the cards with him at the counter.

On the way back I went to the local Asian run shop and found 4 perfectly respectable cards for just over £5.

Does anyone here still use WH Smiths? I am fortunate enough not to have to really worry too much about money, but £15 for 4 cards just seemed totally ridiculous. I have vowed never to enter WH Smith ever again.

Stores at every major station and in every major shopping centre. They've got to pay those expensive rents/rates somehow.

Captive markets at airports their saviour?

+1

Seeing as food/drink are systematically confiscated before your board a plane, they have a guaranteed market plane-side (anyone with a baby simply has to buy water at WHSmith :P ).

For 20 years now there has been two WH Smith stores in Norwich City Centre, within a quarter of a mile of each other. Not forgetting a smaller one at Thorpe train station.

It seems to be more like a 'magazine library' these days - see the 'customers' leafing through the car and lifestyle magazines by the displays.

:unsure: Perhaps WH Smith can exploit a new business opportunity here? How about a 'pay as you go' library stocking newspapers, periodicals and books too?! :lol:

+1

Seeing as food/drink are systematically confiscated before your board a plane, they have a guaranteed market plane-side (anyone with a baby simply has to buy water at WHSmith :P ).

Books are flammable.

Ban them and flog em again past security.

Captive markets at airports their saviour?

Its a function of having fantastic financial management, probably the best in retail in the UK given their dodgy sector and target market, most companies should be able to see through downturns as long as they arent leveraged to the nuts, rare in this day and age, WH Smith are debt free and very well run, and their travel business does very well

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

My Smiths is much bigger than the Waterstones down the road....A lot of people still want to read a few random pages of a physical book before they buy it...

i stopped going in when they charged me 3p for a Polly bag, with their name on the side by way of advertising, without asking me.

that's what happens when you treat your customers like that...they got 3p extra but lost a lot more.

For 20 years now there has been two WH Smith stores in Norwich City Centre, within a quarter of a mile of each other. Not forgetting a smaller one at Thorpe train station.

It seems to be more like a 'magazine library' these days - see the 'customers' leafing through the car and lifestyle magazines by the displays.

:unsure:Perhaps WH Smith can exploit a new business opportunity here? How about a 'pay as you go' library stocking newspapers, periodicals and books too?! :lol:

W H Smith actually started as a 'newswalk' where you could rent a newspaper for something like a penny an hour, in the days when newspapers were too expensive for most and were printed on relatively expensive paper that lasted ages. Often one copy would go to a club where it was shared around, and later be passed on to groups of the less well off who'd also pass it around.

Boots meal deal FTW

They used to be good. I used to get the duck wraps all the time, along with the large bags of malteasers (which despite being huge were part of the meal deal). Then the quality/quantity of the meat decreased dreadfully. They have recently changed it again to create an equally aweful version, except now they are even smaller & you can't get the big bags of malteasers as part of the deal... Which used to sort of make up for it. This sort of thing is happening everywhere. :/

Hwoooah!

Three better options than the punch:

Really?

Palm heel strike, hammer fist and karate chop are going to work where a punch won't? They are punches.

Consterdine favours the devastating full face slap with double hip, and his mate Thompson is handy with the upper cut to the jaw bone, also with explosive double hip initiation and a scream. Neither recommend standing there with your guard up because "you know it is on". :lol:

Boots meal deal FTW
Yes, at the airport boots are the only ones with sensible prices.

The reason is all their packaging it pre-printed with the prices and sandwiches are produced centrally so they can't up the prices at airports!

Yes, at the airport boots are the only ones with sensible prices.

The reason is all their packaging it pre-printed with the prices and sandwiches are produced centrally so they can't up the prices at airports!

Talking of airport ripoffs, I recently bought a book at Singapore airport. Would have cost around £.7.99 here - too tired and dozy to realize till later that I'd paid the equiv. of about £15.

When I was a lad I served a term

As office boy to an Attorney's firm.

I cleaned the windows and I swept the floor,

And I polished up the handle of the big front door.

I polished up that handle so carefullee

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!

Its a function of having fantastic financial management, probably the best in retail in the UK given their dodgy sector and target market, most companies should be able to see through downturns as long as they arent leveraged to the nuts, rare in this day and age, WH Smith are debt free and very well run, and their travel business does very well

If true, I suspect this is the significant difference.

Really?

Palm heel strike, hammer fist and karate chop are going to work where a punch won't? They are punches.

Consterdine favours the devastating full face slap with double hip, and his mate Thompson is handy with the upper cut to the jaw bone, also with explosive double hip initiation and a scream. Neither recommend standing there with your guard up because "you know it is on". :lol:

Huh! This is the English style

Oldie but a goodie :)

Yesterday I got (as instructed) FOUR perfectly decent if uninspiring cards from a poundshop for ... ONE POUND.

Same in Australia. Even accounting for the fact that UKP has been raped, a book in Oz costs twice as much labour as it does here.

10% GST on books in Oz would explain some of that.

A population who can't read might account for the remainder; they are luxury items.

+1

drinking water has to be supplied freely as required on a flight.

10% GST on books in Oz would explain some of that.

A population who can't read might account for the remainder; they are luxury items.

How does the price of (say) Amazon ebooks compare?