House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Riser

Blair Loses 90 Day Vote

Guest Riser

Tony Blair has just lost the crucial 90 day terror vote by 31 votes after being so arogant he thought he could bully his party into the next move towards a police state.

Brown will be rubbing his hands at Blairs weakness and could be in before Christmas.

Guest Riser

if you come down to the river.

bet you will find some people who really live.

it dont matter if you have no money.

people on the river are always happy to give.

Left a good job in the city,

Workin' for The Man ev'ry night and day,

And I never lost one minute of sleepin',

Worryin' 'bout the way things might have been

See Ya Tony - Once the spotlight is on PM Brown people will soon come to hate him and realise the true cost of his economic miracle.

Tony Blair has just lost the crucial 90 day terror vote by 31 votes after being so arogant he thought he could bully his party into the next move towards a police state.

Brown will be rubbing his hands at Blairs weakness and could be in before Christmas.

I was listening to the debate on PM.

Who would have thought that you'd get Michael Howard supporting civil liberties whilst Tony Blair launches a tirade against him for being soft on terrorists.

Tony's blind faith in Ian Blair is disturbing. The Met police chief also wants police officers to be immune from prosecution when they shoot a civilian. Sometimes I think the labour party is the political wing of the police force.

See Ya Tony - Once the spotlight is on PM Brown people will soon come to hate him and realise the true cost of his economic miracle.

yes. that should take all of erm...about 3 minutes....

Blair was absolutely appaling today. All he could say was "the police want it" over and over again. I am as against terrorism as the next person but that does not mean that we have to have a collective lobotomy. We put our MPs there to think things out for themselves, to question, and the come to rational decisions not do just follow the wishes of a lobby group, whoever that lobby group is.

If we should just follow the proffessionals as Blair is now arguing then why dont we extend that same logic to following the professionals when it comes to Education reform, Health reform, taxi driving reform etc. Of course, all professionals are vested interests for their proffession and the job of an MP is to strike a balance not to follow blindly.

Another thing, how PATHETIC for people to talk about having things on ones conscience if there is another bomb etc. By that logic unless we vote for arming each police officer with a Rambo style sub machine gun and giving them the right to shoot on sight then we have it on our consciences if something happens.

Are you in favour of the death penalty???

if not then how can you sleep at night because there are murderers on the loose, people who have reoffended etc.

Sorry Blair and Brown but you have destroyed a fine party.

From an ex labour activist

I can't help thinking that the police asked for 90 knowing they wouldn't get it but that it would make sure they would get a decent extension. The most stunning thing is the lack of argument from the police - Why 90 and not 60, 30 or 14? A worrying thing is that some of the reasons were just rubbish like the difficulties of getting data from encrypted computers. Well if that's the problem then there's no problem since someone can be charged and detained for not handing over passwords/keys. It's a case of once they say one daft thing it undermines their whole case.

Of course the news story of the day is how the government was defeated... but the other story of the day is how people can be held for twice as long now. 28 days is a lot more that 14 and very much more than the 7 we had just a few years ago. Wonder how much coverage that will get.

Guest Bart of Darkness
All he could say was "the police want it"

What? A kick up the ars*?

Uncle Tony taking his orders from the police. Lovely!

What? A kick up the ars*?

Uncle Tony taking his orders from the police. Lovely!

Puts a new slant on the term 'Police State' don't you think?

Although how can we be really sure that it is the police that are asking for this new extension....? just like the shoot to kill policy - it's just all too nulabour I think!

Guest Riser

Phew! A last we have a House of Commons with balls.

I think Blair made this vote all or nothing because he needed a confirmation of his leadership to push through a planned emergency policy decision in the near future. I would not be suprised if it has something to do with either action on Iran, or negotiating away our rebate in the EU.

Now his leadership has been undermined, he will be unable to force through either of these measures and if he does then Brown is certain to be in before Christmas.

A few people have queried my background in various posts as to what I have done.

In regard to todays news about Blair losing todays vote I can say this, A terror greater than any extremist group could unleash has been checked. The terror of an out of control government and police state who believe they can ride roughshod over the people they are sworn to protect and serve through democratic means. The peoples representatives, i.e. MP's hold the peoples wishes and they must do all they can to safeguard them and there rights. When this breaks down and it is no longer possible then it is up to me and my kin to restore the balance of democracy. In a just and democratic society we should never be called upon to do this.

GOOD.

Lets hope its the end of that smarmy murderer's 'leadership'

Benjamin Franklin:

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

All he could say was "the police want it" over and over again.

In the words of Jack Carter: "Since when was that good enough?" This is presumbably the same coppers who told us that Brazilian bloke on the tube was acting suspiciously and wearing an overcoat with wires protruding when he had his head blown off.

I agree with you about Blair being unable to muster a coherent argument to justify himself. He just came out with the same stock phrases over and over, like a bloody speak your weight machine. Something he seems to be doing more and more of late. I find it very difficult to believe he used to earn a living as a barrister. I suspect he was one of the ones who got to spend a lot of time in chambers doing written advice.

He (TB) has the gall to now say that MPs are "out of touch with the public".

In fact so has the Sun, any paper that runs with the leader "TRAITORS" when talking about the mother of all parliaments and the British people by implicaltion should close production and give its floor space over to the homeless. Trevor Kavanagh and their defence correspondent can serve food to the poor.