House Price Crash Forum

500 More Lambs To The Slaughter

My link

Under the scheme the authority will lend people money for their deposits – if they can stump up the first five per cent.

It is capped at houses priced at £150,000 or less, and people must pay back the money within five years.

Brian Maguire, 26, rents a property in Musters Road, West Bridgford, with his wife Claire, 25.

"Money is getting tighter and tighter really, what with food, bills and rent," he said.

"One day we want to own our own place, but a lot of what we earn gets spent on other things. A little leg-up would be useful."

According to Right Move, the current average property price in Notts is £122,368.

It's like seeing one of those cattle lorries on the way to the abattoir. All those pairs of eyes peering out through the gaps in the side, wondering where their going and if the grass is going to be as green and lush as they've been promised

;)

My link

It's like seeing one of those cattle lorries on the way to the abattoir. All those pairs of eyes peering out through the gaps in the side, wondering where their going and if the grass is going to be as green and lush as they've been promised

;)

if the banks think they can't pay back in 25 years why do the councils think they can pay back in 5? Councillors offloading btls with taxpayer cash methinks..

My link

;)

Seems to be becoming the norm these days, what an inappropriate use of council taxpayer's money.

My link

;)

One thing they dont mention, but was mentioned in an article in yesterdays Local Gazette.

Essex CC is now the place to go if you only have 5% deposit...they have a scheme too.

Now it was trumpeted as a GUARANTEE for the 15% extra deposit you needed. Actually, its nothing of the sort, its a loan.

SO, we now dont issue 95% loans ( good, political denyability), they get loans from two parties.

but, a couple who actually used the scheme, the lady said it was great they have now got their mortgage and home arranged with 5% down. She has the foresite to see a slight snag though....they cant move on....unless they repay the council loan FIRST.

No repay, they sell and the loan is withdrawn from the equity......I can see a problem...She certainly did...

My link

;)

Hmmm

Well I've often thought the way they pack commuters into transport trains(without laying on Xtra carriages) to get the serfs to their gulags for the day - that they resemble the 'Cattle trucks' of WW2 too

Would ring a bell with many on 'ere

Seems to be becoming the norm these days, what an inappropriate use of council taxpayer's money.

Out of Control, "Common Purpose" > Outer Party :o

A friend used to work high up in Notts CC and their propensity for pissing copious amounts of taxpayers money up the wall is legendary; IIRC they were one of the biggest losers with the Icelandic banks. One year he was a bit under budget so he ordered himself a nice interactive whiteboard for his office that he barely ever had group meetings in - £4700 not-well-spent. Ironically, he used to live on Musters Road too.

Just how much good money is going to be thrown after bad in an attempt to cushion house prices? How many of the people involved in this decision own BTLs?

Edited by tahoma

A friend used to work high up in Notts CC and their propensity for pissing copious amounts of taxpayers money up the wall is legendary; IIRC they were one of the biggest losers with the Icelandic banks. One year he was a bit under budget so he ordered himself a nice interactive whiteboard for his office that he barely ever had group meetings in - £4700 not-well-spent. Ironically, he used to live on Musters Road too.

To see the above in action, just check out an educational supplies catalogue. It's mostly stuff you could get on Ebay, but at five ten times the price.

Not going to find much for under £150k????

This is a first time buy, you get a lot for £150K (leaving London out of the equation). This is the problem with a lot of FTB: talking to my friends they cannot save for the 10% deposit that they need to buy their first home and when asked how much , they say have problem to save £25K-£30K.

Well why as a first time buyer would you expect to buy your first house for £250000 - £300000

This is all about compromise. I leave in a very expensive part of the country (close to Bath) and yes if you look in Bath that is what you are expected to pay for a house, but as a first buy why do people think that they should have it all immediately. Move 20 min out of Bath and you can get a 4 bedroom village house for £150K.

I know that houses are overpriced and that the bank bear a huge responsibility in the problem however it is time for some people to realise that they are not due the best, biggest, most expensive, most spacious, perfect in all aspect... house on their first buy.

1000s of 3 bedroom + house in Notts for under £150k for sale. Don't get me wrong I don't approve of the council decision and I am just reacting to the "Not going to find much for under £150k" which I think is also part of the problem in the UK: people want it all now!

This is a first time buy, you get a lot for £150K (leaving London out of the equation). This is the problem with a lot of FTB: talking to my friends they cannot save for the 10% deposit that they need to buy their first home and when asked how much , they say have problem to save £25K-£30K.

Well why as a first time buyer would you expect to buy your first house for £250000 - £300000

This is all about compromise. I leave in a very expensive part of the country (close to Bath) and yes if you look in Bath that is what you are expected to pay for a house, but as a first buy why do people think that they should have it all immediately. Move 20 min out of Bath and you can get a 4 bedroom village house for £150K.

I know that houses are overpriced and that the bank bear a huge responsibility in the problem however it is time for some people to realise that they are not due the best, biggest, most expensive, most spacious, perfect in all aspect... house on their first buy.

1000s of 3 bedroom + house in Notts for under £150k for sale. Don't get me wrong I don't approve of the council decision and I am just reacting to the "Not going to find much for under £150k" which I think is also part of the problem in the UK: people want it all now!

people dont have the deposits...thats what the scheme is addressing.

Course they would have the deposits if prices were allowed to fall so that the market would start again.

Put 25K into a scheme...simply adds 25K to the house price.

Problem is that people are getting older so the stuff they might have bought when younger is no longer suitable for their circumstances. Should a 37 year old with a couple of small kids set their sights on a 2 bed flat since that is what they would have bought ten years ago? Sounds like a recipe for disaster in my view.

Problem is that people are getting older so the stuff they might have bought when younger is no longer suitable for their circumstances. Should a 37 year old with a couple of small kids set their sights on a 2 bed flat since that is what they would have bought ten years ago? Sounds like a recipe for disaster in my view.

Agreed however my point is that there are lots of 3 or 4 bedroom houses for less than £150000, might not be a pretty stone cottage, might not have the acre of garden they would wish, but there are some.

Regarding saving a deposit yet it is hard and yes if the price of houses where lower that would be easier and better for the country. However they are not at the moment and therefore if people want to buy a house they have to make decision in term of what they can afford and work hard to save a deposit.

This is all good and well to wish for lower prices however despite everything that happened, the price have not crashed near as much as what people on here where expecting (I know... we have not seen the end of it).

My point only is that for £150K you can buy a nice house in this country as a first time buyer, it all depends on your expectations.

Agreed however my point is that there are lots of 3 or 4 bedroom houses for less than £150000, might not be a pretty stone cottage, might not have the acre of garden they would wish, but there are some.

Regarding saving a deposit yet it is hard and yes if the price of houses where lower that would be easier and better for the country. However they are not at the moment and therefore if people want to buy a house they have to make decision in term of what they can afford and work hard to save a deposit.

This is all good and well to wish for lower prices however despite everything that happened, the price have not crashed near as much as what people on here where expecting (I know... we have not seen the end of it).

My point only is that for £150K you can buy a nice house in this country as a first time buyer, it all depends on your expectations.

and prices wont fall while government provides a "subsidy".

Those who take the subsidy will find the equity is GONE when the subsidy goes..and as this tranche of the loan is repayable first, just about everyone who goes for this is trapped in the future.

and prices wont fall while government provides a "subsidy".

Those who take the subsidy will find the equity is GONE when the subsidy goes..and as this tranche of the loan is repayable first, just about everyone who goes for this is trapped in the future.

Not disagreeing with you there, I was just making a point regarding the "you cannot find anything apart for a 2 bedroom council flat" for under £150k

Sorry I guess I was off topic then

Not disagreeing with you there, I was just making a point regarding the "you cannot find anything apart for a 2 bedroom council flat" for under £150k

Sorry I guess I was off topic then

no problem...I was just trying to add to your point about the "subsidy" and what it will do to prices.

The issue is not that there are properties for sale...the issue is the amount people can pay for them...and as usual Government have turned the problem in reverse in a very left wing way..If people cant pay, then we must help them

Welcome to the USSUK

Agreed, with the proviso that unless/until prices drop then the better sort of properties will be permanently off limits except in the case of inheritance or other windfall. If your expectations rise as far as avoiding a crime ridden sh*tehole in which to raise your family, you'll also be disappointed in many parts of the country too. I exaggerate a bit, but there is a kernal of truth in it. 'tis far from an optimal situation.

Edited by cheeznbreed

You would be looking at ex council in that part of Nottinghamshire, Rushcliffe; and not in West Bridgford but in neigbouring Wilford to get 3/4 beds..

If you crossed Trent Bridge into the City, the Meadows and Sneinton, indeed you could get a grand Victorian Villa and change to boot. But I guess that would not be permissable under the scheme as it comes under the City, and if you dared to live there.

Edited by crashmonitor