House Price Crash Forum

Is Inflation Kicking Off?

HOLA441

well I'm bringing forward a major purchase of pro audio equipment instead of later this year before manufactureres alter their list prices to reflect the weak pound (as happened back in 2007/8)

OOH OOOH What you buying?

Id get it 2nd hand if i were you.

I'm on the lookout for another Yamaha desk.

The current 2nd hand price is what they were going for in 2007/8.

Theyre £1200 new now.

Also Lidl Paella (quite palatable) was £1.79 for about 5 years, three months ago it went to £1.99, this week up to £2.19.

Its gathering speed in front of our eyes.

3% my ****.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

OOH OOOH What you buying?

Id get it 2nd hand if i were you.

I'm on the lookout for another Yamaha desk.

The current 2nd hand price is what they were going for in 2007/8.

Theyre £1200 new now.

Also Lidl Paella (quite palatable) was £1.79 for about 5 years, three months ago it went to £1.99, this week up to £2.19.

Its gathering speed in front of our eyes.

3% my ****.

pair of RCF PA cabs + Subwoofer, Yamaha 01v96i (got the 01v96 vcm at present but the new one gives 16 channels of playback / recording via usb so no interface required!)

HOLA443

Umm - unless I miss my maths (help me if I've failed), isn't that a 20% reduction in size, and a 25% reduction in price, meaning customers actually paying less? So in this case, what Colgate are doing about inflation is.... Fighting it?

I bet those kind of products cost very little to produce, so the price will be almost totally down to how much a consumer can/is willing to pay.

In this instance, I'm guessing the marketing bods figured it was better to sell some mouthwash at 3 pounds, than a lot less at 4, even if the unit price is lower at 3 pounds for 400ml than 4 pounds for 500ml.

HOLA444
HOLA445

pair of RCF PA cabs + Subwoofer, Yamaha 01v96i (got the 01v96 vcm at present but the new one gives 16 channels of playback / recording via usb so no interface required!)

Yes saw a demo on SOS of an Allen and Heath 16 trk recorder the other day.

Straight to a USB stick poking out the front.

This stuff is evolving all the time.

Ive got the N12 Firewire mixer, and i love it.

Want another one for live drums.

HOLA446

Other inflation practices is to add more water to the product....to things like washing up liquid, shampoo, disinfectant, even bleach.....or to make it look thicker they add a gel type substance that thickens it up to try to fool you or use inferior/cheaper ingredients.....lots of tricks they get up to to make us believe we are getting something we used to get when we are not....and sometimes they have the cheek to call it 'new improved recipe' to add insult to injury. ;)

HOLA447
HOLA448

I have noticed air being used more often in products like soft cheese, all whisked up and airy....the 'in' word is 'light', paying the same price or more for less, the product is much lighter they are right....or is it trying to say it is 'good for you'.....or good for the manufacturers. ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have noticed air being used more often in products like soft cheese, all whisked up and airy....the 'in' word is 'light', paying the same price or more for less, the product is much lighter they are right....or is it trying to say it is 'good for you'.....or good for the manufacturers. ;)

I had a packet of Walkers cheese and onion baked crisps the other night. I counted about 8 whole crisps.

Have been regularly buying Co-Op Fairtrade Carmenere red wine.

Not bought any for aboyut 5 months due to shop burning down :( but bought some in next town the other day.

You could see through it! MAHOOSIVE drop in quality and quaffability. Watered down i reckon.

I do not live on crisps and wine i should add.

HOLA4411

Has anyone else noticed that the branded sliced bread is more doughy than it was before. Marked difference especially with the best of both so one can only assume less time in the over or turned down one notch.

Warburtons "farmhouse" bread (£1.69/loaf!) shrinks in the toaster, so can only be full of water. It also goes mouldy rather than stale, which seems to suggest the same. Lidl's 85p version is vastly superior.

HOLA4412

Has anyone else noticed that the branded sliced bread is more doughy than it was before. Marked difference especially with the best of both so one can only assume less time in the over or turned down one notch.

Yup. I've noticed the same.

Someone knocked me up some beans on toast the other day and the sauce was so thin and vinegary I assumed it was a budget brand. Nope, regular, full fat Heinz apparently. I was shown the tin.

edit: It's not just me - Heinz Baked Beans Reviews

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

HOLA4413

edit: It's not just me apparently - Heinz Baked Beans Reviews

Oh dear. All they had over their supermarket rivals was their reputation. Gone forever. I knew something was up when they made that "medley of beans" rubbish, hedonic adjustment in a can more like.

Got about fifty tins left, sobering to think I've probably already bought my last Heinz product.

HOLA4414

Oh dear. All they had over their supermarket rivals was their reputation. Gone forever. I knew something was up when they made that "medley of beans" rubbish, hedonic adjustment in a can more like.

Got about fifty tins left, sobering to think I've probably already bought my last Heinz product.

I'm not a fussy eater and completely omniverous

but that last tin really did taste like c**p

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

HOLA4415

So what are we saying?.....avoid the branded stuff if you don't want to get stitched up.....all I have learned over recent years is branded is not necessarily the best.....branded is not necessarily consistent, and when it does change more often than not, it is not always for the best in size, content or value. ;)

HOLA4416

...and sometimes they have the cheek to call it 'new improved recipe' to add insult to injury. ;)

Tesco finest cous-cous salad.

Bought some a few years ago and it was delicious. Loads of fruit/veg and a lovely harissa dressing.

They had it on special this week (big tub for £1.50 instead of £3).

Unrecognisable. They've taken out all the expensive ingredients and replaced them with cheaper alternatives. Just dry cous-cous with cranberries and raisins.

Yet proudly labelled with "new improved recipe"

HOLA4417

Tesco finest cous-cous salad.

Bought some a few years ago and it was delicious. Loads of fruit/veg and a lovely harissa dressing.

They had it on special this week (big tub for £1.50 instead of £3).

Unrecognisable. They've taken out all the expensive ingredients and replaced them with cheaper alternatives. Just dry cous-cous with cranberries and raisins.

Yet proudly labelled with "new improved recipe"

There you go :D .........when does it go back up to £3 or more?.........it is things like this that make you want to make more and more of your own food, with your own quality ingredients for a far better price, knowing then the recipe will be a real improvement. ;)

HOLA4418

I had a packet of Walkers cheese and onion baked crisps the other night. I counted about 8 whole crisps.

Have been regularly buying Co-Op Fairtrade Carmenere red wine.

Not bought any for aboyut 5 months due to shop burning down :( but bought some in next town the other day.

You could see through it! MAHOOSIVE drop in quality and quaffability. Watered down i reckon.

I do not live on crisps and wine i should add.

Natural product, probably blended from countless different co-operatives in the region, so there can be variation. Not saying it hasn't been watered down (nothing would surprise me anymore) but that would be massively illegal and quite a risk to take, surely?!

HOLA4419

Natural product, probably blended from countless different co-operatives in the region, so there can be variation. Not saying it hasn't been watered down (nothing would surprise me anymore) but that would be massively illegal and quite a risk to take, surely?!

Its an odd one.

That was a particular favourite and at £5.99 was a decent bottle.

Competitors stuff still roughly the same quality.

http://winesoftheweek.co.uk/co-op-chilean-fairtrade-carmenere-2010/

HOLA4420

Its an odd one.

That was a particular favourite and at £5.99 was a decent bottle.

Competitors stuff still roughly the same quality.

http://winesofthewee...carmenere-2010/

Cost conscious boozers of all means might be interested in joining "the wine society". A long-standing not-for-profit mutual it has a range of wines in the 5-10 quid bracket that have genuine character and really show up the bland rubbish sold in many supermarkets.

www.thewinesociety.org

Of course proper tin foil hatters make their own... but I'm not facing the apocalypse without a decent rioja!

Edited by InlikeFlynn

HOLA4421

Warren Buffett's acquisition of the company is starting to make more sense now. Nobody's made more money flogging rubbish at a premium than the Orifice of Omaha.

HOLA4422

Umm - unless I miss my maths (help me if I've failed), isn't that a 20% reduction in size, and a 25% reduction in price, meaning customers actually paying less? So in this case, what Colgate are doing about inflation is.... Fighting it?

Inflation can send big business into the wrong direction too - I am stock piling stuff that they are getting wrong. Profit is in there hills!

---

In this case, the consumer is the loser:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1183167542833540003?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=colgate%20fluorigard&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42965579,d.d2k&biw=1013&bih=650&sa=X&ei=mwEtUc6-IuOY0QWSpIHQCQ&ved=0CE4Q8wIwAA

I just checked right now, the £3 and £4 are "from prices, not including postage" -

Best price for 500mL is £5 from Willows Dental incl. postage. That's 1p per mL.

Best price for the new size 400mL is £4.48 From Diy-tools247 incl. postage. That's 1.12p per mL.

12% increase.

If one could do a bit of arbitrage, buy 500mL bottles and simultaneously sell 400mL bottles - et voila guaranteed profit.

Edited by Notanewmember2

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Inflation can send big business into the wrong direction too - I am stock piling stuff that they are getting wrong. Profit is in there hills!

---

In this case, the consumer is the loser:

https://www.google.c...ved=0CE4Q8wIwAA

I just checked right now, the £3 and £4 are "from prices, not including postage" -

Best price for 500mL is £5 from Willows Dental incl. postage. That's 1p per mL.

Best price for the new size 400mL is £4.48 From Diy-tools247 incl. postage. That's 1.12p per mL.

12% increase.

If one could do a bit of arbitrage, buy 500mL bottles and simultaneously sell 400mL bottles - et voila guaranteed profit.

vanity product that no-one really needs.

HOLA4425