Hopeful FTB

Contradictions In News Reporting

The contradictions that exist in the media at the moment are incredible:

-House prices hit a new high in london

-Retail doom & gloom continues

-Reposessions are up by 75% in liverpool

-Bankrupcy reaches historical highs

-Unemployment rising almost daily

How can house prices feasibly still be rising when everything else looks like its going t*ts up? Seriously, who is buying these houses? And who writes these cra*py stories in the media? Is the economy really in recovery?

In brighton, nothing has been moving for months really and I know someone who had to knock 40k off their asking price for a crummy 2 bed end of terrace.

I am losing the will to live - :(

I think a lot of people still believe that if there house was worth 200k last year it is now worth 250k. Also many home sellers will not drop prices for time wasters! How dare anyone offer me only 150% what i paid for a property!

I think its like the titanic hitting the iceburg, the more sellers push prices the further and harder into the iceburg this ship will go.

Edited by sllabres

How can house prices feasibly still be rising when everything else looks like its going t*ts up? Seriously, who is buying these houses? And who writes these cra*py stories in the media? Is the economy really in recovery?

The media like a big story. Every 1% reduction in house prices is a crash. Every 2% rise is a major recovery. Every factory shedding 500 jobs is the collapse of UK manufacturing. Every local problem will inevitably spread to affect the whole UK. If you want to know what's really happening, ignore the media and read the statistics from www.nationalstatistics.gov.uk, www.landregistry.gov.uk and other sites.

Guest Bart of Darkness

The media like a big story. Every 1% reduction in house prices is a crash. Every 2% rise is a major recovery. Every factory shedding 500 jobs is the collapse of UK manufacturing. Every local problem will inevitably spread to affect the whole UK. If you want to know what's really happening, ignore the media and read the statistics from www.nationalstatistics.gov.uk, www.landregistry.gov.uk and other sites.

Are these Good Facts or Real Facts? (one for the Babylon 5 fans out there)

There is a Newspeak word for such as you Zorn, "Goodthinkful". Meaning naturally orthodox, incapable of thinking a non-party approved thought.

I think Orwell might have had you in mind when he invented it.

Are these Good Facts or Real Facts? (one for the Babylon 5 fans out there)

There is a Newspeak word for such as you Zorn, "Goodthinkful". Meaning naturally orthodox, incapable of thinking a non-party approved thought.

I think Orwell might have had you in mind when he invented it.

On the contrary, Zorn is apparently not subject to the tedious orthodoxy on this site which is stifling realistic discussion, whereby people are incapable of thinking a non HPC-approved thought. In this tiny HPC world as Zorn points out every job loss is the end of manufacturing industry, every 1% fall in the pound is a currency crash.

How can house prices feasibly still be rising when everything else looks like its going t*ts up? Seriously, who is buying these houses?

HPC cliche watch #2: 'it's going tits up'

On the contrary, Zorn is apparently not subject to the tedious orthodoxy on this site which is stifling realistic discussion, whereby people are incapable of thinking a non HPC-approved thought. In this tiny HPC world as Zorn points out every job loss is the end of manufacturing industry, every 1% fall in the pound is a currency crash.

HPC cliche watch #2: 'it's going tits up'

you're enjoying it though aren't you? :P

Agreed that every bit of bad news doesnt necessarily mean the down fall of the UK economy & the apocalyptic scenarios Bruno used to go on about in huge muliticoloured letters, but UK government statistics have a tendency to be retrospectively revised (eg economic growth, economic cycle start & end dates) so they are not 100% reliable either