House Price Crash Forum

Historical Uk Gilt Yields

I've been trying to find out what the historical average yield on 10 year UK Gilts from first issuance and also from post-WWII. When Gilts are discussed am I right in thinking that the 10 year is the generally accepted reference point? I've checked the UK Debt Management Office and othe sites on the web with no luck.

If anybody can help i'd appreciate it muchly.

I've been trying to find out what the historical average yield on 10 year UK Gilts from first issuance and also from post-WWII. When Gilts are discussed am I right in thinking that the 10 year is the generally accepted reference point? I've checked the UK Debt Management Office and othe sites on the web with no luck.

If anybody can help i'd appreciate it muchly.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57294000/jpg/_57294047_newgraphweb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-16090055&h=549&w=976&sz=54&tbnid=Z1jz2HpvONvXNM:&tbnh=69&tbnw=122&prev=/search%3Fq%3Duk%2Bgilt%2Byields%2Bchart%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=uk+gilt+yields+chart&usg=__rVkVAyezX86iqYuLPlyslmiWlbo=&docid=x3mHtaOcAhXgRM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=acgnUfGVNIaZ0QXcyoCYBw&sqi=2&ved=0CGgQ9QEwCg&dur=188

Try that chart - GILTS are at a low point - tends to suggest they will go the opposite way shortly - especially when banks are suggesting they won't buy UK gilts anymore.

Thanks guys, my employer is making 'moves' on the pension scheme predicated on very poor gilt yields making the scheme unsustainable in its present form.

I appreciate that it is very difficult for private sector employers to plug the deficits as required by trustees but it does seem that a 'once in 300 years' event is being used as justification for attacking the scheme without consideration of the impact on deficits of a return to the long-term average returns on gilts or indeed government plans to introduce legislation allowing trustees to 'smooth' forecast returns which will also reduce deficits.

All that said, if the money isn't there then no amount of financial trickery will make it appear come claiming time.

A few years ago many of these schemes took holidays where they stopped paying in for a few years because the commitments could easily be met with the funds currently available. Executive bonuses all round IIRC using the monies the companies did not have to pay into the pension schemes. Now these schemes are closed to new entrants or can't meet their commitments.

That's what our company did.

Its amazing how difficult it is to find economic data for the UK, compared to the US. Its almost like there is a conspiracy of silence. They work very hard to make data unavailable.

I agree, and if you do find any data it always stops about 2 years ago, so it's history and you can't make any value judgment from it. Worthless. :angry: