House Price Crash Forum

Charged For Check Out

Bosh

We are due to check out and hand keys over next month. No problems with the Landlord or letting Agent at all. Everything has gone smoothly so far. When I asked them for the checking out procedure I was sent this along with other standard details.

Once you have been checked out then the deposit procedure is a

straightforward issue of agreement of deductions, if any, and then the DPS

will return to you upon receipt of agreement. You will be charged for the

check out but you can elect to have this charge deducted from deposit.

Before I go back to them can anyone tell me if this is standard? If yes, what is the average costs?

I can not find any reference to this in my Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement. As I have not agreed to this anywhere I intend to dispute it.

Just looking for views from Tenants and Landlords......

Been a smooth ride so far.

Bosh

We are due to check out and hand keys over next month. No problems with the Landlord or letting Agent at all. Everything has gone smoothly so far. When I asked them for the checking out procedure I was sent this along with other standard details.

Before I go back to them can anyone tell me if this is standard? If yes, what is the average costs?

I can not find any reference to this in my Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement. As I have not agreed to this anywhere I intend to dispute it.

Bosh

Tell them to F off, and copy your MP in as an example of tenants being abused. Any costs for managing the rental should be bourne by the landlord, not the tenant!

Tell them to F off, and copy your MP in as an example of tenants being abused. Any costs for managing the rental should be bourne by the landlord, not the tenant!

I got charged £60 for the inventory as per my tenancy agreement. Ironically although I paid for it - the inventory people wouldn't let me see it because of 'data protection' and despite being 'independent' they would only give it to my landlord. I had no problem with the Landlord when i lived there. Now on moving out he's trying to keep my full £2000 for all the damage and has invoices to prove it... including one for £190 for changing the lightbulbs (not including the cost of purchasing the lightbulbs)

I got charged £60 for the inventory as per my tenancy agreement. Ironically although I paid for it - the inventory people wouldn't let me see it because of 'data protection' and despite being 'independent' they would only give it to my landlord. I had no problem with the Landlord when i lived there. Now on moving out he's trying to keep my full £2000 for all the damage and has invoices to prove it... including one for £190 for changing the lightbulbs (not including the cost of purchasing the lightbulbs)

Utter Genius, would love to hear how the TDS view this! Hopefully they will tell him to F right off

As for the £60 charge, firstly i wouldnt have paid it, but i presume you are aware that as you paid for it its probably something you legally own!!

Bosh

No it isnt standard, no you shouldnt pay it, they cant make you and they will not be allowed to deduct the charge from the deposit by the TDS

Explain to them that its a cost for managing the tenancy, these costs are the legal responsibility of the landlord so you wont be paying it

I have fired off a polite email asking if I missed anything in the small print. I know most people will say this but I am leaving this property in far better condition that when we went in.

I took pictures and Video of any defects. The person who took the Inventory seemed on the ball and marked down every single negative aspect before I took keys. I did get a copy.

I am confident that I will not be owing any monies but like all relationships when they end, you just don`t know how they will react.

This is my third Rental and I have never been asked to pay for check out before.....

I used your wording (above) wherebee. I`ll save telling them to F Off until I need it... Could be very soon :lol:

No it isnt standard, no you shouldnt pay it, they cant make you and they will not be allowed to deduct the charge from the deposit by the TDS

Explain to them that its a cost for managing the tenancy, these costs are the legal responsibility of the landlord so you wont be paying it

Thank you Rozza..

IANAL but surely if you've not seen it you've not signed it so there's no evidence of any agreement between you and the LL about the state of the property when you moved in - so he's not got a leg to stand on. I hope that's the case anyway.

• 1 month later...

I thought it was best to update and complete this thread.....

The landlord agreed not to charge for check out. I was not penalised for anything either. It took 3 weeks and a couple of reminders but I was returned every penny of the deposit.

I was polite but firm as and when required and made sure that every email was sent to both LA and Landlord to avoid any confusion or opportunity for buck passing....

Bosh :)

I thought it was best to update and complete this thread.....

The landlord agreed not to charge for check out. I was not penalised for anything either. It took 3 weeks and a couple of reminders but I was returned every penny of the deposit.

I was polite but firm as and when required and made sure that every email was sent to both LA and Landlord to avoid any confusion or opportunity for buck passing....

Bosh :)

Good man, well done.

Not true. Not the landlords cost to bear. It should be covered by the 10% or so monthly charge . Surely that is what its for. Its part of managing the property i would say.

Not true. Not the landlords cost to bear. It should be covered by the 10% or so monthly charge . Surely that is what its for. Its part of managing the property i would say.

\err...and the monthly charge by the letting agent is a cost to the ...landlord.....

#logicbreakdown?