House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FTBagain

Nationwide Consumer Confidence

Just seen this story.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4420224.stm

People are adapting to the present interest rates, at least as far as their attitudes are concerned. It all comes back to inflation driving interest rates up. Inflation data out next week or the week after should incidate which way the IR's will go in the new year IMO.

Isn't this just more of the usual crap they peddle out when the MPC are due to make an IR decision.

Yup! But if you read the end of the artical, they shoot themselves in the foot by saying that concumers expect to go out a make a big purchase in the next few months (with all that Xmass dosh!!). So their attempt to bully the MPC into cutting rates is undermined by their half baked efforts to reassure everyone that it is business as usual and that it is fine to go get yourself into silly debt just before you loose your job. <_<

Na! I think people are starting to doubt the spin. Sentiment is turning.

"Recent positive news about both the number of housing transactions and house price inflation, as well as retail sales, all give indications that better times may lie ahead," Mr Bernau added.

I don't get it?

Meanwhile, the number of houses sold in England and Wales for the three months to September stood at 261,481, 15% lower than a year previously.

?

bbc

or

UK High Street sales remain subdued, figures from the Office of National Statistics (ONS) show.

bbc again

Sorry but surely this shows hes talking complete nonsense

I don't get it?

?

bbc

or

bbc again

Sorry but surely this shows hes talking complete nonsense

Yup! :D I have a graph of quarterly sales (cannot post as the works firewall stops it, so I will post this evening). The spring bounce sales work through into the LR data in the third quarter. The Q4 and Q1 figures are almost invariably well down on the Q3 figures. Just let the bulls have their laugh. It should be the bears turn in the New Year.

I'll that graph later, hang on in there.

"Job losses at Rover, the London attacks in July, low house price growth and most recently higher petrol prices have all contributed to a summer of gloom which is threatening to extend through the autumn," said Nationwide executive director Stuart Bernau.

Then 2 paragraphs down

"Recent positive news about both the number of housing transactions and house price inflation, as well as retail sales, all give indications that better times may lie ahead," Mr Bernau added.

Make you mind up ffs!!!

Good news is - the BBC obviously dont read what they post so dont worry cant say that the general public do too!!!

:)

The nationwide consumer confidence survey is a load of tosh. They only survey about 1,000 people.

The next release is on 8th Mar, just before the BoE decision!

I'm no fan of the BOE, but have they ever been influenced by this kind of tosh?

Certainly not last time.

I am sure one member of the MPC actually referred to Phil (of Phil and Kursty fame) a month or two back when justifying recent movements in the housing market-very worrying!