House Price Crash Forum
ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

How Many People Have You Convinced Not To Buy?

Personally speaking I have convinced 2 people not to buy at this time with the help and resource of bith HPC.co.uk and FirstTimeBuyer.co.uk

How many have you persuaded... if any!

i voted 10. yeah !!! geddin there. im blind drunk though shakers so i think im being bullish about it. come on...yeah...ill tek all of yer btlrs on.....reet....(put digital image of traffic cone on head)

Edited by right_freds_dead

I've got a mate who's sitting on a €2m pad in Dublin - I'm trying to convince him to STR. ;)

Not that he ever will. The truth is I only do it to annoy his wife, who is a self-obsessed, stuck-up, nouveau riche muppet. :D

Edited by Flash

Sadly, only 1.

I've "reasoned" with quite a few more but it seems that sensible argument has no sway in these times of madness and quite a lot have chosen the last year to buy their first homes! I don't think they'll fall into the negative equity catagory as they all had quite large deposits but it is sad that they are all getting so much less for their money than they should be able to.

Better yet,

How many have sold, and safely extracted their equity, on your advice?

A few, is my answer.

But I was much more aggressive in telling others about this at the 1988-89 peak (when I was younger).

Several people thanked me for years, and bought back in cheaper.

My own sale fell thru, unfortunately, and I had to wait over a decade to sell, albeit at a better price

There I'll count 2 (plus me), because as well as mum's aforementioned inheritance I have persuaded both she and a brother to sell investment properties here in Australia.

I tried...I failed...

So they moved in together and now have a £350k or so house. Of the old houses, one sold...and the other needs to provide the remaining £250k in funding for the current place. Unfortunately it has had virtually no interest. And they are starting to panic...

Morning from Exeter,

Just saved two people from buying via this site, and a friend to STR who is having a great time renting. But others have stuck to the VI advise and will be the first collateral damage when its starts to get hot.

This is the only place where I can be bothered to communicate with humans >monosyllabic level.

If I let anyone know my bearish thoughts they'd only go and buy to spite me.

Two couples have mortgaged themselves up to the hilt against my advice. They both reckon they've bought at the bottom and "renting's dead money" etc.

The problem is I've been predicting a crash for 2 years, so my friends take no notice of what I say. The classic 'cry wolf' syndrome.

I'm really rubbish. Whenever I get into a conversation with someone at work, church or anywhere else it goes like this.

Them: I hear that you're renting when you could be buying

Me (with relief): Yes, I think house prices are massively hyped and are coming down

Them: I do too, that why I [haven't bought yet / have sold my investment properties] (delete as appropriate)

[sIX MONTHS LATER]

Them: I've got an inheritance / pay rise / talked to some SIPPs salesman and I'm buying. You better buy soon or you'll miss the boat.

Me: No fear. House prices are coming down and they're still overvalued

Them: Yeah, you've been saying that for ages and they're still high.

------------------------------

I am a curse to any bear I meet in the flesh. They turn into bulls. I am anti-persuasive, I show ant-charisma. I am a financial disaster area. People will trace their life's ruin to me.

Anyone going to the hpc pub meet? It would be good to see how many of you have bought since I was last there.

I convinced my brother, a friend and a colleague by writing a document of all the things i have found out. Most people just argue blindly with me until they read it.

its mostly stuff i've stolen from websites, news reports etc. I put it together because i wanted to save my brother, so i needed to get all the evidence into a logical, structured format. When people read it they seem to change their mind.

I put it on a website, and they have told their friends, and friends of friends, and i'm hearing more and more people i know are changing their minds.

Some people have got very angry at me because of it and have sent me some VERY offensive emails, but so far, they turn out to be the ones who will be in serious trouble should a crash happen. I guess i'd be the same too.

I'm hoping for a bit of a butterfly effect anyway!

Blimey. You guys are playing with fire. Wonder what will happen if there are NO falls in nominal prices? Will they ever speak to you again? Will they sue...

Hmm - interesting. On what basis would they sue? Can't think of one. Could even an estate agent be sued for bad advice? Wouldn't have thought so. And they surely have the closest thing to a duty when it comes to property advice.

I've tried to dissuade three people (a couple and a single person I know) from buying and they went on and did it anyway, the couple last year, the other person a couple of months ago. I really like both lots of people and will feel awful if they end up being stuck in NE. I think I might stop trying to warn people, just as I've stopped discussing property more generally - it really seems to piss people off. It's like they think you're trying to be evil when in fact you're honestly concerned for them. :(

I would never try to convince someone to buy or not to buy. It must be their decision. I have regular discussions with people, but I prefer to help them to see the facts and let them form their own opinion.

Hmm - interesting. On what basis would they sue? Can't think of one. Could even an estate agent be sued for bad advice? Wouldn't have thought so. And they surely have the closest thing to a duty when it comes to property advice.

Yeah, the point is exactly what Free Thinker say below your post;

I would never try to convince someone to buy or not to buy. It must be their decision. I have regular discussions with people, but I prefer to help them to see the facts and let them form their own opinion.

Dishing out advice to your mates is a bit ropey. Most I would try do is point them to a place where they can get a good overview.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon it's a laugh: you know me, always like taking the pizzzzzzz...

For some reason you've just made think of that chap called *****an.... :D