House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dhpcza

Buffet Changing Opinion On Dollar?

Lot of Dollar bears on this forum (I'm not one of them).

http://www.forbes.com/facesinthenews/2005/...facescan02.html

I understand his bet against the dollar has cost Berkshire H roughly 800m dollars this year: ouch! Gates was also spinning against the dollar earlier this year (they play golf) and has probably aslo taken a hit...

On the whole Buffet's 4 year bet against the dollar is up about 2 billion

Edited by Sledgehead

I understand his bet against the dollar has cost Berkshire H roughly 800m dollars this year: ouch! Gates was also spinning against the dollar earlier this year (they play golf) and has probably aslo taken a hit...

On the whole Buffet's 4 year bet against the dollar is up about 2 billion

The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent, even if you are Warren Buffet.

From the article, it would appear that he's locked in some of his (Berkshire H's) profits. Just an opinion here, but if he thought there would be plenty more dollar weakness, wouldn't he use this years strength as an opportunity to load up more on his short position? Instead he's scaled back, which would mean to me that he's less certain about future dollar weakness than perhaps he was. 2 billion up aint bad though is it!? :lol:

I want to see what people saw

I want to feel like I felt before

I want to see the kingdom come

I want to feel forever young

I want to sing

To sing my song

I want to live in a world where I belong

I want to live

I will survive

And I believe that it won't be very long

If we turn, turn, turn, turn, turn

Then we might learn

So where's the stars?

Up in the sky

And what's the moon?

A big balloon

We'll never know unless we grow

There's so much world outside the door

And if we turn, turn, turn, turn

Then we might learn

Learn to turn

Edited by right_freds_dead

thats right. you and me babes. on the top balcony with you with the 'i luv woodie' banner. me with the watneys party seven.

then we go back to my city professional static caravan and eat mcvities hobnobs in the damp bed with a plastic liner. i will put the calor fire on the lowest bar as we stuggle up and turn the 12v flourescents down low lady. its only a matter of time before your dusty sleeping bag wrinkles up your back and your grey bra pokes out of your ribbed, pot noodle stained vest.

lay lady lay......

From the article, it would appear that he's locked in some of his (Berkshire H's) profits. Just an opinion here, but if he thought there would be plenty more dollar weakness, wouldn't he use this years strength as an opportunity to load up more on his short position? Instead he's scaled back, which would mean to me that he's less certain about future dollar weakness than perhaps he was. 2 billion up aint bad though is it!? :lol:

I think he made the right move by scaling back his positions.

Greenspan seems confident that the trade deficit is not too worrysome, as much of it is due to the developing nations adopting the dollar (via the currency peg) due to the immense sudden changes from globalisation. As such it is an inevitable sideeffect of increased global trade, using the dollar as the world reserve currency and the imbalances will unwind without much pain as living standards increase and markets grow in the new dollar countries and labour costs rise - i.e. differentials erode.

thats right. you and me babes. on the top balcony with you with the 'i luv woodie' banner. me with the watneys party seven.

then we go back to my city professional static caravan and eat mcvities hobnobs in the damp bed with a plastic liner. i will put the calor fire on the lowest bar as we stuggle up and turn the 12v flourescents down low lady. its only a matter of time before your dusty sleeping bag wrinkles up your back and your grey bra pokes out of your ribbed, pot noodle stained vest.

lay lady lay......

Such a romantic RFD!

I think he made the right move by scaling back his positions.

Greenspan seems confident that the trade deficit is not too worrysome, as much of it is due to the developing nations adopting the dollar (via the currency peg) due to the immense sudden changes from globalisation. As such it is an inevitable sideeffect of increased global trade, using the dollar as the world reserve currency and the imbalances will unwind without much pain as living standards increase and markets grow in the new dollar countries and labour costs rise - i.e. differentials erode.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Dollar party may be over soon

The dollar is showing another round of surprising strength but some currency analysts are saying that the party's probably almost over.

That's because the European Central Bank looks like it's getting ready to start making its first short-term interest rate hikes in five years -- a move likely to help the troubled euro and put pressure on the soaring dollar.

Edited by gone west