House Price Crash Forum

High Street Sales Picking Up

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....03&in_page_id=2

High Street picking up again? Woooahooaaah!

Er....That's not actually what it says.

I quote "Although still in negative territory, it was the best performance for seven months." and also "Amanda Aldridge, acting head of retail at KPMG, said: 'The big questions are how much extra promotional activity will be required to drive the Christmas numbers, and who will lose their nerve and bring their sale forward?'"

This doesn't suggest the most astounding confidence. Besides I am sure there are people who will still buy Christmas on the credit card or even one or two who may have savings! (HPCers?)

I won't be adding to the retail figures this Christmas because by coincidence the family agreed not to buy each other presents this Christmas but instead spend the money paying our own way on a Christmas holiday.

HOLA444

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....03&in_page_id=2

High Street picking up again? Woooahooaaah!

Ive posted many times in the last 2 months that this would happen.

Can u bears now have more confidence in the Doggiebox gospel?

I know you all love Dr Bubb and his pie - charts but as Ive always said, charts, graphs and theories are a reflection of the past. I prefer to deal in the future and the street. Give me anecdotal evidence anyday.

Remember my post in the summer 'London market getting v busy' - dismissed by bears.

My post last Winter 'bankcruptcy will soar due to easy rules' - dismissed by bears.

My posts since I joined 'UK industry in great shape due to off - shoring' - dismissed by bears

My many posts pointing out 'UK citizens have a lot of debt but they also have record assets' - dismissed by bears.

These and many more of my predictions are now accepted consensus.

Another claim of mine has always been 'people earn a lot more than official figures show'. I promise you this will be recognised quite soon. As usual no grapghs or links boys and girls, just common sense.

HOLA445

People always spend at Christmas so sales will always show an improvement. I have noticed that there are sales before christmas this year, which is unheard of...what are they going to do in the Jan Sales. The big chains are going to cut prices even more so keep you money in your pockets for now if your after that LCD tele.

HOLA446

Er, I read this article in today's Standard, and high st. sales are *not* up, their decline has just slowed. Big deal.

Clothing and big ticket electrical sales have actually declined. The one sector which is *relatively* healthy at the moment, is food. The likes of M&S, Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Tesco are dong well. However bad things get, and it's already very nasty, people are still going to eat.

Good lord, I'm astounded at some people's reporting. Consumer spending is on an inexorable journey down, as these latest "bullish" figures prove.

Nothing to see here folks, move along please.

HOLA447

Hang on a minute......retail sales have fallen for 8months now and are still falling and "The research revealed that consumers are shying away from clothing and footwear purchases though food sales improved. Sales of big tickets items were also depressed last month. "

Ohhhhh wow people are buying FOOD, they must be feeling rich again!

There was me thinking that the fact that sales of cars, shoes, clothes, DIY, furniture were collapsing and that 15% of the UK retail sector in now in or filing for receivership was a bad sign........ but no.......FOOD is literally flying off the shelves.

Maybe massive demand for FOOD will keep the UK economy growing next year, with Gordon Brown receiving a standing ovation at the next Labour conference for creating a Britain where the average person can now afford FOOD. ( even if they have had their house and car repossesed and can't afford clothing, furniture or holidays) :rolleyes:

HOLA448

People always spend at Christmas so sales will always show an improvement. I have noticed that there are sales before christmas this year, which is unheard of...what are they going to do in the Jan Sales. The big chains are going to cut prices even more so keep you money in your pockets for now if your after that LCD tele.

I agree: Basingstoke town centre this weekend had nearly every single shop with a SALE sign in the window. The most common figure was 50% off. Sales - in November. That must be because there are no traditional consumer spending spree events on the horizon. O hang on.....

HOLA449

Ive posted many times in the last 2 months that this would happen.

Can u bears now have more confidence in the Doggiebox gospel?

I know you all love Dr Bubb and his pie - charts but as Ive always said, charts, graphs and theories are a reflection of the past. I prefer to deal in the future and the street. Give me anecdotal evidence anyday.

Remember my post in the summer 'London market getting v busy' - dismissed by bears.

My post last Winter 'bankcruptcy will soar due to easy rules' - dismissed by bears.

My posts since I joined 'UK industry in great shape due to off - shoring' - dismissed by bears

My many posts pointing out 'UK citizens have a lot of debt but they also have record assets' - dismissed by bears.

These and many more of my predictions are now accepted consensus.

Another claim of mine has always been 'people earn a lot more than official figures show'. I promise you this will be recognised quite soon. As usual no grapghs or links boys and girls, just common sense.

Are you just wilfully misleading or did you just misread the article?

Blimey! there is an army of people out there willing to do VI business for the VI's free of charge.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Are you just wilfully misleading or did you just misread the article?

Blimey! there is an army of people out there willing to do VI business for the VI's free of charge.

This is getting tiring, but Ill restate;

As I keep saying a study of media headlines over about the last 5 years on the run - up to Xmas reveals a pattern of gloom on the high st. Then just before Xmas this is reversed and the great British consumer gets his wallet out and then we are informed 'panic off'.

All I'm saying is it is likely this will be the case this year. I guarantee this same discussion will be had in November 2006.

Edited by dogbox

HOLA4412

Hang on a minute......retail sales have fallen for 8months now and are still falling and "The research revealed that consumers are shying away from clothing and footwear purchases though food sales improved. Sales of big tickets items were also depressed last month. "

Ohhhhh wow people are buying FOOD, they must be feeling rich again!

There was me thinking that the fact that sales of cars, shoes, clothes, DIY, furniture were collapsing and that 15% of the UK retail sector in now in or filing for receivership was a bad sign........ but no.......FOOD is literally flying off the shelves.

Maybe massive demand for FOOD will keep the UK economy growing next year, with Gordon Brown receiving a standing ovation at the next Labour conference for creating a Britain where the average person can now afford FOOD. ( even if they have had their house and car repossesed and can't afford clothing, furniture or holidays) :rolleyes:

Wasn't Durch setting up a new website www.foodpricecrash.com?

Does he know something we don't? :ph34r:

Maybe this is the food boom before the bust? :P

HOLA4413

Er, you're wrong I'm afraid. The Great British consumer didn't get his wallet out last xmas, nor will he this. When you're all tapped out, that's that. Though some of these greedy crazed morons may have last hurrah, the good days are over.

What's that saying in the Bible? Seven fat years, seven lean years? sounds about right.

Many clothing firms could take last xmas on the chin, but a second one in a row will spell deep trouble.

The days of the January sales are long gone. December sales are all the rage...

...or should that be fire sales?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

According to the latest 'lifestyle' mags, eating in, is the new going out!

My Brothers and I were only saying this last night. I used to be a real clubber, now I much prefer a take - away + wine + TV. Restaurants I now find to be a tedious experience.

I really love and I mean love being at home, must be getting old!

Edited by dogbox

HOLA4417

Er....That's not actually what it says.

I quote "Although still in negative territory, it was the best performance for seven months." and also "Amanda Aldridge, acting head of retail at KPMG, said: 'The big questions are how much extra promotional activity will be required to drive the Christmas numbers, and who will lose their nerve and bring their sale forward?'"

This doesn't suggest the most astounding confidence. Besides I am sure there are people who will still buy Christmas on the credit card or even one or two who may have savings! (HPCers?)

I won't be adding to the retail figures this Christmas because by coincidence the family agreed not to buy each other presents this Christmas but instead spend the money paying our own way on a Christmas holiday.

Note these are like for like sales, overall sales are up!

HOLA4418
Guest Bart of Darkness
According to the latest 'lifestyle' mags, eating in, is the new going out!

I knew if I waited long enough, fashion would catch up with me!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

like for like sales are by far the best indicator.

Take NEXT, for example. They're increasing their selling space by a third but yet sales are static, at best. That's a recipe for disaster, if you're a stockholder in any company which expands, just as things turn nasty.

HOLA4421

Retail crisis now on-hold!!!

Thanks dogbox.... and now the economy has recovered maybe I should reconsider that self cert mortgage and buy the place of my dreams :D

Back on topic, yes there are loads of people who pick up on any positive spin and try to slap the bears down. However, I think the people on this forum look into a multitude of factors thus getting a more realistic view of the economy than your average Joe.

We all know the wheels are in motion to stop the truth and hide the facts about the unholy mess this country is in, you can read it for yourself in the "what the media said last time" section.

It's not different this time!

HOLA4422

My Brothers and I were only saying this last night. I used to be a real clubber, now I much prefer a take - away + wine + TV. Restaurants I now find to be a tedious experience.

I really love and I mean love being at home, must be getting old!

Not many restaurants can match the organic vegetarian food I serve in our household.

Takeaways, you can keep them.

Our village does have an excellent, highly rated restaurant, with a vegetarian menu, though.

HOLA4423

like for like sales are by far the best indicator.

Take NEXT, for example. They're increasing their selling space by a third but yet sales are static, at best. That's a recipe for disaster, if you're a stockholder in any company which expands, just as things turn nasty.

No the full picture is the best indicator.

NEXT could say that like for like sales are down 25%, sounds terrible. What they mean is that the same money was spent but we expanded our floor space. Just because new stores open, there are more things to buy, etc doesn't mean peoples money, or willingness to spend it, increases to the same degree.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Hey Mushroom

As a veggie family that like organic food, I agree that there aren't many places that can satisfy, but I'm gonna check out The Bean Inn at carbis Bay this weekend and am always looking out for quality veggie food. I enjoy eating out, but most restaurants, even those with great veg menus miss out completely on creating nice food other that taking a standard meat dish and removig the meat. Crap in general.

There is a need for a book of veg and vegan places to eat out for sure.

As you say it takes a hell of a lot to beat home cooking.

Hare Krishna is always reliable cheap and friendly.LOL