House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Farming Industry's On The Verge Of Ruin

Not just the milk sector then and the hill farming sector -looks like the whole lot is suffereing from CAP reforms and rising costs.

Yet another to add to the list - if it fails by any large measure it will further worsen trade deficits and people will begin to wonder what to do with the land. If it is totally non-productive then maybe there are better uses for it.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/dis...&folderPk=80786

Not just the milk sector then and the hill farming sector -looks like the whole lot is suffereing from CAP reforms and rising costs.

Yet another to add to the list - if it fails by any large measure it will further worsen trade deficits and people will begin to wonder what to do with the land. If it is totally non-productive then maybe there are better uses for it.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/dis...&folderPk=80786

If the citizens of the UK were able to buy food at world market prices and we were relieved from the obligation to subsidise our own and other farmers I'm sure it would do the economy a great deal of good: costs and inflation would miraculously fall.

Yet another to add to the list -

Onlyme

you constantly post job loss stories, which is absolutely fine by me, but I would make this comment; Although each story is a nugget of gloom it is no more than that.

All commercial sectors constanlty evolve. Where one declines another replaces it.

An example of this is high street travle agents. I always used them until the last 3 years. Now we only use on - line travel companies. Where traditional agents are cutting back , small operators often working from home are stepping up to the mark.

Ive often mentioned a perma - bear I know in the real world. He always highlights redundancy stories as a sign of impending gloom, he's been doing it for 25 years!!!!!!!

No offence intended, just though I'd give an alternative take on things.

Onlyme

you constantly post job loss stories, which is absolutely fine by me, but I would make this comment; Although each story is a nugget of gloom it is no more than that.

With regard to farming I would say that this is not just a job loss story nor does it have anything to do with recent economic developments.

British farming has been slowly continuously dying for decades, every now and again it gets really bad (foot and mouth, BSE etc.) and many more farmers bail out.

I have no doubt that when avian flu arrives anyone with poultry anywhere near there farm will be hit hard (by paranoia as much as anthing else).

Dogbox,

Whilst the lenders keep on spouting their economic rubbish I will continue posting those little annoying inconsistencies that all is not well in many sectors of the economy, sectors which mainly contribute to UK earnings, not ones built on debt circulation.

Still, if you prefer you can feel free to ignore my posts and stick your head in the sand, it is a common affliction.

With regard to farming I would say that this is not just a job loss story nor does it have anything to do with recent economic developments.

British farming has been slowly continuously dying for decades, every now and again it gets really bad (foot and mouth, BSE etc.) and many more farmers bail out.

All sectors shake out thier dead wood, its natural.

Many producers near me have vastly increased thier profit through diversification into organic produce and 'added value' concepts (eg - selling jam instead of just fruit).

So what if farming declines? Many sectors decline and others rise. Its simply the natural order. Nothing that is truly needed ever declines.

Dogbox,

Whilst the lenders keep on spouting their economic rubbish I will continue posting those little annoying inconsistencies that all is not well in many sectors of the economy, sectors which mainly contribute to UK earnings, not ones built on debt circulation.

Still, if you prefer you can feel free to ignore my posts and stick your head in the sand, it is a common affliction.

I like your posts so I wont be sticking you on ignore (something I would never do anyway, its too playground). I dont accept the premise that redundancies point to underlying issues about the economy.

Dogbox,

UK farming is built entirely on subsidy and state support. This is true at the best of times but goes into overdrive whenever there is a self-inflicted ****-up like mad cow or foot & mouth. No doubt the same will happen with avian flu. This country does not have the land, the weather or the cheap labour for competitive agriculture and it is morally repugnant that we have to pay for the privilege of protecting our cossetted farmers thereby consigning those in countries more suited to agriculture to penury.

This has been on the cards for a while, I worked in the industry and decided to get out!... My director made redundant, only one manager needed... and advertising budgets slashed!

there was a major squeeze on profits, b.f losses, etc... So many farmers selling up!

Supermarkets have driven money away from farmers into their core selling materials and Daily Essentials! What were once there loss leaders, are now good margin items!

MILK

BREAD, etc

Soon it will all be imported, driving money out of the coutry even more!... what ever next?

And farmers land will be used to store caravans, as we wont have anywhere to live!...

And Id rather live in a mobile home, FLEXIBILITY... than a smack den, anyday of the week... Rural country side... or Inner City drug dens... No Thanks! :lol::lol::lol:

I have no doubt that when avian flu arrives anyone with poultry anywhere near there farm will be hit hard (by paranoia as much as anything else).

It's already happened I'm afraid. The local poultry auction is decimated, 50% off normal prices.

UK farming is built entirely on subsidy and state support. This is true at the best of times but goes into overdrive whenever there is a self-inflicted ****-up like mad cow or foot & mouth. No doubt the same will happen with avian flu. This country does not have the land, the weather or the cheap labour for competitive agriculture and it is morally repugnant that we have to pay for the privilege of protecting our cossetted farmers thereby consigning those in countries more suited to agriculture to penury.

I agree with most of that.

But, IMO, we will see a renaissance in British agriculture sometime in the near future. Import costs are set to spiral, we will have no choice but to revert to local production. Importing vegetables from the other side of the world when our own are in season is just mental.

The problem with agriculture is the people involved. There is no incentive, because of the huge capital outlay, to get involved. Most farmers have been in it for generations, stuck in a routine, think the world owes them a living and have no idea or desire to diversify. I know of a few(not from farming backgrounds)who were not scared of the stress and hard work who have done well from such things as organic veg and ice-cream.

I see a bull run on Agri land in a few years. I think it may bottom out first, depending on how draconian the CAP reforms are.