House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libitina

European Riots

France, Belgium and Germany.

leaders of several other European countries warned that recent mass immigration, coupled with bad housing and high unemployment, could fan the flames of discontent across the continent.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005510798,00.html

Housing and employment is a problem right across Europe, not just among immigrants.

Will something similar happen here?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,1...1635431,00.html

Housing and employment is a problem right across Europe, not just among immigrants.

I only clicked on this link so I could catch a look at that mouth.

The only thing fanning the flames of discontent seems to be the media if my last week's local paper and this Sun article is anything to go by.

Last week my local newspaper warned that the community was about to erupt in race riots.

The article was full of factually incorrect information including a claim that attempts to bring rival gangs together to talk (organised by police and the local authority) was a total failure that ended in fighting.

That was a total lie as I know one of the organisers of the event and they have had enormous success with this scheme, not least because there has not been any fighting at any of these events (a considerable achievement) and it has successfully reduced tensions and the number of incidents between gangs.

If you think about it gang violence tends to break out unexpectedly, even to members of those gangs.

It is only certain football gangs that used to organise and plan violence and fights.

So how can the newspapers predict what is going to happen?

Do they have a crystal ball?

If they can predict that its going to happen perhaps they could be more helpful and predict when and where?

Its rubbish, yes there will be riots in this country as there always have been and yes the likelihood of such violence rises with the unemployment figures.

Nevertheless the media are just chomping at the bit desperate to film and photograph the kind of scenes that have been seen in France.

I think so.

I don't think that it is inequality in itself that leads to civil disturbance; it is the absence of opportunity to address the inequality.

The economy is creating one generation of haves and one of have nots.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,1...1635431,00.html

to be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't already. I thought we were due a pogrom in West Yorkshire in August... after the bombings & summetime is a fine time to chuck stones at the poliss.

Its a cheap night out, fivers petrol and a box of matches, great crack. I was in France at the weekend and didnt see anything. A bit of a letdown really. I dont think we'll see riots here though, they are so much better at it over there. :D

Seriously though, the feeling I got from the media there is that its not going to stop for the foreseeable future. Its low level, impossible for the police to stop and the reponse to years of heavy handed police methods and policies of ignoring race ( there are no ethnic minorities in France ) which allow racism to flourish. Its an entirely different scenario to the UK.

I expect the media have realised that a bird-flu epidemic isn't going to happen right this minute and have decided to sensationalise this instead.

Its a cheap night out, fivers petrol and a box of matches, great crack. I was in France at the weekend and didnt see anything. A bit of a letdown really. I dont think we'll see riots here though, they are so much better at it over there. :D

Seriously though, the feeling I got from the media there is that its not going to stop for the foreseeable future. Its low level, impossible for the police to stop and the reponse to years of heavy handed police methods and policies of ignoring race ( there are no ethnic minorities in France ) which allow racism to flourish. Its an entirely different scenario to the UK.

I had an argument with a tory councillor on the doorstep a few years ago in which I said I disagreed with the policy of selling off social housing in rich areas.

Her: "Don't you think people should own property?"

Me: "They can buy property"

Her: "But their lives become better when they own property."

Me: "I agree. They can buy property"

Her: "But what if they can't?"

Me: "That's what social housing is for. That's why we have it."

And so on. I also said that it was a good thing that there was a social mix of people in every area, it meant that society was more cohesive, and you didn't have ghettoisation etc etc.. It didn't really wash.

One of the great things about Britain has been that peace has been maintained by a common identification with others, and part of this is due to socially mixed areas. I worry that this is going, thanks to Mrs T's enormous commoner vote-bribe.

to press the youth into rioting you have to house them in huge slum estates and offer little opportunity to escape.

this cant happen here as every other person under 25 lives with their mummy.