House Price Crash Forum

Millions Of People 'face Council Tax Rise'

HOLA441
HOLA442

Just won`t get paid. We are reaching maximum saturation for council tax IMO, many councils will have financial problems in the coming years. A lot goes uncollected, and even middle class dummies are catching on to this, and getting p*issed about it. Pay the rent/ mortgage and feed your kids or throw money at the council to f*uck up some vanity projects (Scottish parliament, Edinburgh trams etc etc) Seems like a no brainer to me.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Council tax has now effectively become a national tax - with referendums required for increases of more than 2%. Shame we can't have a referendum when Osborne raises taxes - or on his budget each year!

However the change here is a lot more profound i.e. most areas will be making everyone pay at least something towards their council tax due to national cuts in council tax benefit. Benefit claimants who have paid nothing for years (if ever) - may now be asked to contribute £200-£300 a year in council tax.

Problem is - they won't pay up. So we have a mini poll tax 2 on our hands - it just wont be cost effective to enforce the bills! And no councillor wants to be seen sending in bailiffs to carers or the disabled.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

The government can "argue" what it likes but it's getting clearer and clearer to most people that the reality is banking bailouts, money for council executives and corporate hangers on etc.

Who provided the original bank bailouts? Oh it was Labour wasn't it and why was it necessary? Oh because the Labour government had allowed rampant HPI for the previous 10 years. Oh that's right I remember now.

Benefits are an insidious way of controlling people. Thing is most of these people don't mind being controlled if it means they don't have to go to work and can sit at home watching TV all day.

HOLA449

Who provided the original bank bailouts? Oh it was Labour wasn't it and why was it necessary? Oh because the Labour government had allowed rampant HPI for the previous 10 years. Oh that's right I remember now.

Benefits are an insidious way of controlling people. Thing is most of these people don't mind being controlled if it means they don't have to go to work and can sit at home watching TV all day.

None and I do mean NONE of the benefits claimants I know (and I do know quite a few) are incapable of working. They've all been in a position where they cold take a job (by that I mean not genuinely unemployed and seeking work) but choose not to. Some play the system. Single mums working 16hrs a week to get max WTC and CTC but not working 1 minute more is a classic. It's nice when someone is prepared to give you £1500/month and you get 3 week days to do what you want at home plus your weekends.

HOLA4410

Anyone know when the Labour manifesto for 2015 will be out and is there any chance of a mansion tax from them? The walls of my south London slavecube are closing in on me and some kind of mansion tax and/or tax on foreign owned stuff is the only way prices will fall in the capital IMHO.

HOLA4411

Don't worry they will try and tap and erode away every penny you've got and worked hard for until there is nothing left in the kitty to spend....working to keep others in work.

Working to try and see the little money earned is spent in a careful and responsible way to pay much of it over for others to blow it and waste it, it is easy to spend and waste other peoples money.......there must be another way. ;)

HOLA4412

None and I do mean NONE of the benefits claimants I know (and I do know quite a few) are incapable of working. They've all been in a position where they cold take a job (by that I mean not genuinely unemployed and seeking work) but choose not to. Some play the system. Single mums working 16hrs a week to get max WTC and CTC but not working 1 minute more is a classic. It's nice when someone is prepared to give you £1500/month and you get 3 week days to do what you want at home plus your weekends.

Why shouldn't they? When the Tories cut the higher tax rates in the 80s I read it allowed the rich work less as obviously there income went up and the people who worked harder where the lower paid.

In all seriousness why wouldn't you play the system, if you can "earn" more money by not working why would you? It's perverse and clearly that shouldn't exist but whilst it does you'd be a moron not to play the game.

Edited by interestrateripoff

HOLA4413

Council Tax must be increased year on year to pay for the bloated bosses pay packets, we are literally being robbed by the council cartels and we will go to PRISON if we do not play along like nice little serfs:

Pay for top 5 council bosses 2010/2011

Joanna Killian

Chief executive

Essex County Council and Brentwood Borough Council

Total remuneration: £289,173

Geoff Alltimes

Chief executive

Hammersmith and Fulham Borough Council

Total remuneration: £281,667

Chris Williams

Chief executive

Buckinghamshire County Council

Total remuneration: £259,104

David White

Chief executive

Norfolk County Council

Total remuneration: £256,900

David Mcnulty

Chief executive

Surrey Country Council

Total remuneration: £253,133

How can anyone justify these wages and still keep demanding the tax payer pay more and more tax, whilst councils outsource more and more of the services YOU PAY THEM TO PROVIDE.

Robbing criminal scum! <_<

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Why shouldn't they? When the Tories cut the higher tax rates in the 80s I read it allowed the rich work less as obviously there income went up and the people who worked harder where the lower paid.

In all seriousness why wouldn't you play the system, if you can "earn" more money by not working why would you? It's perverse and clearly that shouldn't exist but whilst it does you'd be a moron not to play the game.

It is not a case of playing the game it is the system that has been created...therefore people work with it and around it to gain as much of the benefits afforded to them that they can......so the top ride the system as much as the bottom do..... it is the easy pickings middle PAYE who end up paying for both of them.

One pays £5 a week towards their council tax as a nominal gesture of goodwill....the other pay 0.5% of their income towards their council tax to show willing.........the working middle are the easy game they end up taking and paying for most of the pain. ;)

HOLA4417

Well, I'll be paying more. I make bugger all from my work, and therefore qualify for a 50% discount.

I intend to protest by cancelling my direct debit, messing them around and only eventually paying the bill quarterly, in cash right before the bailiffs are due.

A giant jar of spare change will be part of the payments made. If they complain, I'll mention that I'm desperately poor and only just managed to get the money together by going without food/heating. :)

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA4418

Council Tax must be increased year on year to pay for the bloated bosses pay packets, we are literally being robbed by the council cartels and we will go to PRISON if we do not play along like nice little serfs:

How can anyone justify these wages and still keep demanding the tax payer pay more and more tax, whilst councils outsource more and more of the services YOU PAY THEM TO PROVIDE.

Robbing criminal scum! <_<

A national pay scale for local councils would be an extremely popular policy.. (except amongst the politicians..)

HOLA4419

are there really MILLIONS of people (households) who will suddenly have to pay a bit of council tax :huh:

as far as I can see the problem is that council tax benefit is far too generous especially to those on pension credit (who even if only £1 below the PC level get FULL council tax).

Council tax benefit should be payable at say band C or D for every recipient household- at the moment it is not restricted to any band.

those who feel agrieved at this should downsize/move.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

"Millions of the poorest households face council tax rises because most councils in England will pass on a 10% benefit funding cut"

Or they could reduce the stupid salaries at the top of the council, or stop wasting money on 5 safety jacketed morons all sat on the same roundabout all day watching sponger no 6 pick up a leaf.

The problem is not the cut, the problem is that it is being passed on by the councils instead of trimming their own largesse.

HOLA4422

"Millions of the poorest households face council tax rises because most councils in England will pass on a 10% benefit funding cut"

Or they could reduce the stupid salaries at the top of the council, or stop wasting money on 5 safety jacketed morons all sat on the same roundabout all day watching sponger no 6 pick up a leaf.

The problem is not the cut, the problem is that it is being passed on by the councils instead of trimming their own largesse.

+1

Just one Chief Exec on £150k swallows up the council tax paid by 118 band C Council Tax payers in my borough. Lord knows how many more have to pay for his pension and golden goodbye.

This evil has to stop.

HOLA4423

+1

Just one Chief Exec on £150k swallows up the council tax paid by 118 band C Council Tax payers in my borough. Lord knows how many more have to pay for his pension and golden goodbye.

This evil has to stop.

Unless they have protesting public picketing outside every council office in the land this will never, ever change. Even then you must be prepared for a kick in from the plod and your life turned upside down with fines and threats, is anyone really prepared to do this in numbers?

HOLA4424

Unless they have protesting public picketing outside every council office in the land this will never, ever change. Even then you must be prepared for a kick in from the plod and your life turned upside down with fines and threats, is anyone really prepared to do this in numbers?

There will come a time, sooner than they think.

HOLA4425

+1

This evil has to stop.

£150k? Peanuts!

Try £200k http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/annual_report_claims_24_brent_council_employees_on_six_figure_salary_packages_1_1359473

:)