House Price Crash Forum

Music Site With Smaller Download Footprint Than Youtube

pl1

HOLA441
HOLA442

After Youtube alternative with much smaller download footprint than Youtube where many of the musci videos top 20mb

20 Meg is not much for a 3 or 4 minute music video.

The amount of data used depends on the stream quality. The faster your connection the higher the stream quality (where several versions are available for it to serve up).

You can elect to watch a lower quality stream on YouTube by clicking the icon in the lower right of the video window that looks like a cog-wheel and choosing a setting other than "Auto" which will generally pick the highest def your connection can manage e.g. 1080p for a 6 Meg connection down to 240p for a 1 Meg one.

Also depends on what you're using to watch said video - on my PC it's only streaming to a tiny litle window (unless I make it full size) which only needs a couple of meg if that whereas on our TV downstairs, to watch most YouTube videos needs a consistent 6 Meg with the expected increase in data usage, again the TV picks the best stream it can manage without stuttering or buffering.

If data usage is an issue - we have 3 Mobile Broadband as our home connection and can easily spend £125 a month on it or more, because we have to pay for usage - then suggest iTunes for audio only and use YouTube sparingly.

HOLA443
If data usage is an issue - we have 3 Mobile Broadband as our home connection and can easily spend £125 a month on it or more, because we have to pay for usage - then suggest iTunes for audio only and use YouTube sparingly.

:o

Why don't you go on the 1 plan that allows tethering?

HOLA444

:o

Why don't you go on the 1 plan that allows tethering?

The problem with that is that the SIMs only work in a phone not a dongle.

To get a strong signal we use a dongle which is attached to a roof antenna (and router with powerplugs through the house to the TV). That delivers 6 Meg to 12 Meg down (the lower end of that range is about the minimum I can work with and for streaming). Also manages 2 to 3 Meg up which isn't exactly quick but is bearable.

I can't put the phone on the roof so it gets line of sight to the antenna :( Ony manages about 4Meg even if I put it near the window, the antenna in the phone just isn't big/capable enough.

For the dongle based plans the biggest package is only 15GB/mo with a two year contract. If they did a 30GB/mo package with a one year contract I'd have signed up by now.

If we used 30GB on the 15GB/mo package it would actually be even dearer than the PAYG arrangement we have.

We're probably moving in April/May back to somewhere cabled.

HOLA445
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA446

Sorry to bump this, I guess I meant audio only, like an mp3 128kbps is fine, and they are normally only 4mb or so compared to the 20mb for a "ahh 240kbps we meet again" vid. I don't need any video at all, I don't use itunes (I was thinking of a web based audio only site, I think one was mentioned here a while ago by hotairmail iirc but I canny remember what it was called Cap'n, it was really good as well)

HOLA447

Sorry to bump this, I guess I meant audio only, like an mp3 128kbps is fine, and they are normally only 4mb or so compared to the 20mb for a "ahh 240kbps we meet again" vid. I don't need any video at all, I don't use itunes (I was thinking of a web based audio only site, I think one was mentioned here a while ago by hotairmail iirc but I canny remember what it was called Cap'n, it was really good as well)

spotify?

http://www.spotify.com

HOLA448

Archived