House Price Crash Forum

Signs For The Start Of A Crash?

See

HOLA441

What are the clear signs that a crash is starting to happen that I will be able to see locally?

I am guessing:

Unemployment up;

Bankruptcies increasing;

Long hair back in fashion;

Estate agents closing down;

More than usual number of for sale sign's;

Lots of money saving sites starting up;

Empty shops;

Closed down shops;

Increased gambling,

Are any of the above correct and is there anything else?

HOLA442

What are the clear signs that a crash is starting to happen that I will be able to see locally?

I am guessing:

Unemployment up;

Bankruptcies increasing;

Empty shops;

Closed down shops;

Increased gambling,

most of the above are quite correct,you might want to add higher crime,civil unrest and higher divorce rates to the list.......they arent really pre-cursors to a crash....but they sure tell you one is beginning to bite.

HOLA443

I am guessing:

[...]

[...]

Well, just for the record, I am in the process of growing my hair out again. Incidentally, I had it long from 1990 to 1992 (recession), and from about 1997 to 2000 (boom). But perhaps in the latter phase I was just being unfashionable.

frugalista

HOLA444
HOLA445

the four horsemen of the housing apocalypse will appear.

The four horsemen of the housing apocalypse are described in the new labour manifisto chapter 6, verse 1-8.

The four horsemen are symbolic descriptions of different events which will take place in the end times.

The first horseman of the apocalypse is mentioned in Revelation 6:2,

"I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest." This first horseman likely refers to the antichrist, who will be given authority and will conquer all who oppose him. The antichrist is the false imitator of the true Christ, as He will return on a white horse (Revelation 19:11-16).

if this isnt gordon brwon then im turning back to the sky at night.

-note white horse is biblical code for dark blue jaguar with bullet proofing.

HOLA446

Odd, I am also now having my hair longer.

Interestingly, I had it cut a few weeks back and I asked whether I needed to book - yes, book - for a cut sometime in December as usually the barbers is booked solid in December and will only cuty our hair if you have a booking... They said "Nah, we will fit you in" which kinda backs up one theory expressed here.

HOLA447
Odd, I am also now having my hair longer.

Interestingly, I had it cut a few weeks back and I asked whether I needed to book - yes, book - for a cut sometime in December as usually the barbers is booked solid in December and will only cuty our hair if you have a booking... They said "Nah, we will fit you in" which kinda backs up one theory expressed here.

you didnt need to book the actual cut.

it was late because they had to get more sheep and flea dip in.

HOLA448
HOLA449

more signs of a crash

rapid inflation on the way - POUND/Euro/AUD/NZD all crashing as we speak. Rapid import price movements up. I'm in commodities and see it already.

Look at NZD. Highest interest rate in the world (7%) and fx rate fell 4.5% in last two weeks.

Why? - well would you accept 15% return from a problem gambler?

NZ economy could be the first to turn around on it's **** - it hasn't even experienced a HPC yet unlike Australia but things happen REAL quick there - keep an eye on it as an indicator on things to come - particularly fro the US

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

HUH??? The rest seemed quite reasonable, but could you expand on this? I'm facinated.

I think I once read somewhere that skirt lengths get longer in a recession too (or was it shorter?)

Edit: Sorry guys, seems they get longer

During the depression and the Second World War, the look for women was one of greater maturity, including heavier bodies, longer skirt lengths, fuller facial features, and shoulder pads, adopted from standard male tailoring. A nation in crisis seemed to look to its women to provide security.

http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscom...ashionandst.htm

Fashion of the 1930s was directly influenced by the great Wall Street Crash of October 24, 1929 and subsequent Depression. A softer, more feminine style replaced the boyish flapper look of the twenties. At the beginning of the decade, hemlines dropped dramatically to the ankle and remained there until the end of the thirties.

Fashion of the 1930s was directly influenced by the great Wall Street Crash of October 24, 1929 and subsequent Depression. A softer, more feminine style replaced the boyish flapper look of the twenties. At the beginning of the decade, hemlines dropped dramatically to the ankle and remained there until the end of the thirties.

Edited by libitina

HOLA4412

I think I once read somewhere that skirt lengths get longer in a recession too (or was it shorter?)

Edit: Sorry guys, seems they get longer

I'm sure I heard somewhere that during a boom womens skirts and heels rise, during a bust longer skirts and lower heels become fashionable.

So perhaps heels are about to go out of fashion tobe replaced by boring but sensible shoes.

This also relates to the anecdotal evidence someone gav on another thread of shoe bars getting more business as people have heels and soles replaced rather than buy new shoes.

I think there is also a tendency for smart clothes at work to make a come back and dress down Fridays to recede as people get more concerned about looking professional, indispensible at work.

HOLA4413

Now I actually don't buy this long skirt business. How does one incorporate the swinging sixties and the kaftan brigage in this? The sixties were boom time. But the clothes were all over the place. The sex drive was in overdrive (which corresponds with high skirt lines - or is that just the suggestion of plenty, as opposed to getting your kaftan off?) I am getting confused by the metaphor now.

HOLA4414

Jeremiah 24:3 Then said the LORD unto me, What seest thou, Jeremiah? And I said, Figs; the good figs, very good; and the evil, very evil, that cannot be eaten, they are so evil"

...if it's Biblical wisdom you want.

There's loads more in the Bible - get one, you won't put it down!

Edited by 29929BlackTuesday

HOLA4415

HUH??? The rest seemed quite reasonable, but could you expand on this? I'm facinated.

When I hit my puke point for the amount of debt I had taken on I cut back on a few things, one of them was my regular haircut. I have read elsewhere that others do the same in a recession.

To summarise all the signs mentioned so far:

Unemployment up;

Bankruptcies increasing;

Empty shops;

Closed down shops;

Increased gambling;

Higher crime;

Civil unrest;

Higher divorce rates;

Binge drinking;

Teenage pregnancy;

Hits on housepricecrash.co.uk up;

The four horsemen of the housing apocalypse will appear;

More angry drivers out there;

More nose pickers;

Rapid inflation on the way;

POUND/Euro/AUD/NZD crashing;

Rapid import price movements up;

Skirt lengths get longer;

Lower heels become fashionable;

People returning to the bible;

I take it the four horsemen are not appearing to add to their BTL portfolio (well they would be daft to buy at the top of the market). :)

Counting down the list I can verify that (locally to me) 12 are happening, 9 I have no idea about and 3 are not happening. So obviously 12-3 I conclude the HPC is coming.

HOLA4416

"The population is exceedingly large, the ground thickly studded with homesteads...and the cattle very numerous...hares, fowl, and geese they think it unlawful to eat, but rear them for pleasure and amusement...Most of the tribes do not grow corn but live on milk and meat, and wear skins. All the Britons dye their bodies with woad, which produces a blue colour, and this gives them a more terrifying appearance in battle. They wear their hair long, and shave the whole of their bodies except the head and the upper lip. Wives are shared between groups of ten or twelve men."

Caesar, Julius "The Britons" The Conquest of Gaul

....must have been experiencing one hellish HPC back in his day :unsure:

HOLA4417

the four horsemen of the housing apocalypse will appear.

The four horsemen of the housing apocalypse are described in the new labour manifisto chapter 6, verse 1-8.

The four horsemen are symbolic descriptions of different events which will take place in the end times.

The first horseman of the apocalypse is mentioned in Revelation 6:2,

"I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest." This first horseman likely refers to the antichrist, who will be given authority and will conquer all who oppose him. The antichrist is the false imitator of the true Christ, as He will return on a white horse (Revelation 19:11-16).

if this isnt gordon brwon then im turning back to the sky at night.

-note white horse is biblical code for dark blue jaguar with bullet proofing.

you have been on the absinth and been reading nostradamus and revelations again haven't you?

......for what it's worth so have I and I'm SURE it will be happening.

(nostradamus.......quotes the third war will begin shortly after the new pope assumes tha papacy,now last year we had the death of jon paul 2 and the inauguration of benedict xv1).....this is all a bit too close for comfort so I trust in the books,and place my bets accordingly

When I hit my puke point for the amount of debt I had taken on I cut back on a few things, one of them was my regular haircut. I have read elsewhere that others do the same in a recession.

To summarise all the signs mentioned so far:

Unemployment up;

Bankruptcies increasing;

Empty shops;

Closed down shops;

Increased gambling;

Higher crime;

Civil unrest;

Higher divorce rates;

Binge drinking;

Teenage pregnancy;

Hits on housepricecrash.co.uk up;

The four horsemen of the housing apocalypse will appear;

More angry drivers out there;

More nose pickers;

Rapid inflation on the way;

POUND/Euro/AUD/NZD crashing;

Rapid import price movements up;

Skirt lengths get longer;

Lower heels become fashionable;

People returning to the bible;

I take it the four horsemen are not appearing to add to their BTL portfolio (well they would be daft to buy at the top of the market). :)

Counting down the list I can verify that (locally to me) 12 are happening, 9 I have no idea about and 3 are not happening. So obviously 12-3 I conclude the HPC is coming.

.....but salvation is at hand in that a new musical revolution will be born,and take the youth to it's buxom

50's/60's mods/rockers(aggressive)

60's/70's hippies(peaceful)

70's/80's punk(aggressive)

80's/90's ravers(peaceful)

90's/00's ???? (aggressive?)

....as long as it isn't WWA(Westlife With Attitude),then we'll be ok and can ride it out.I think this might be the time death metal and thrash make it big....it's angry enough to get the masses going.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4418

Haircuts - LOL - I was just going to say to say that was one of the first indicators for me of the last crash - suddenly I didn't have to make an appointment at the hairdressers weeks in advance.

Skirts are loooong this season.

THE other indicator of a recession is that you can't pick up temp work.

At the moment it still seems to be booming locally round here (despite the skirt length indicator).

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

more signs of a crash

rapid inflation on the way - POUND/Euro/AUD/NZD all crashing as we speak. Rapid import price movements up. I'm in commodities and see it already.

Look at NZD. Highest interest rate in the world (7%) and fx rate fell 4.5% in last two weeks.

Why? - well would you accept 15% return from a problem gambler?

NZ economy could be the first to turn around on it's **** - it hasn't even experienced a HPC yet unlike Australia but things happen REAL quick there - keep an eye on it as an indicator on things to come - particularly fro the US

Very silly. NZ (as I understand it) is a likeable pair of islands far away from the middle of nowhere with a population substantially less than London's stuck in a 1950s timewarp. Its experiences are unlikely to shed much light on what is happening in the real world.

And, once again, GBP is not crashing. Every week that I've been on this site it has crashed but every week lo-and-behold it's at the same broad value against a range of key currencies as the week before. Sorry.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Now I actually don't buy this long skirt business. How does one incorporate the swinging sixties and the kaftan brigage in this? The sixties were boom time. But the clothes were all over the place. The sex drive was in overdrive (which corresponds with high skirt lines - or is that just the suggestion of plenty, as opposed to getting your kaftan off?) I am getting confused by the metaphor now.

The counterculture may have been wearing kaftans, but the mainstream in late 60's and early 70's Australia was the miniskirt.

I remember a (very unofficial) statistical survey undertaken by the male half of my 4th form class, which determined the median skirt length of the female half as about 6 inches above the knee when standing/walking.

It was probably the only time most of the guys showed the slightest interest in mathematics :lol::lol::lol: .

HOLA4423

Isn't it long hair for men, short hair for women, in tougher times because people are more inclined to rebel? In boom times, it pays to conform - so, short hair for men, long hair for women?

I'm thinking of very short hair for men seen in the 1950's and more recently. Also short hair being more fashionable for women in the early/mid 90's than it is now.