House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom'n'Bust

City Bankers' House Boom

Can I be a little sarcastic...?

I know its cheap.

Here it goes..

"Look.. Look.. someones got some money.. they have... i heard about it....

If they have money.... If they have money.. they will have to buy a house... they will..

The Market is saved.. it is..

THey will have money.. and they will pay more for a house... more then anyone would ask them.."

You think that banks are making money now..??

wait until everyone starts paying back debt at 6%.. 7%... lol

anyway..

My brother & I both work in the city.

He's was strongly urged to buy in 1998 by my parents.

He cited this years bonuses, as well as immigration & foreign investors as the main reasons why there won't be a HPC

He cited this years bonuses, as well as immigration & foreign investors as the main reasons why there won't be a HPC

So what do you think?

People should stop responding to flim flam in the press and keep an eye on forward looking indicators like interest rates, the economy, debt levels and the like. What some City spiv earns as a bonus is hardly worth a posting. I should point out that i hold city dealers and investment managers in the same light as Estate Agents!!

Edited by bpw

Is he spending his on property then? What will you spend yours on?

Guest Riser

The Sun is just Blair’s mouthpiece, its editor was hob nobbing with Blunket at the Vine before going home to beat up her husband. If you still have any doubts just look at the way they are trying to support his desperate 90 days without trial on todays front page.

There have been several hundred "ordinary" people restrained or detained using the latest terror legislation including a 74year old life long member of the Labour party. These laws were only supposed to be used in extreme circumstances. How can we trust this government with more powers, Blair is losing the plot and his authority, Brown will be in before Christmas

Edited by Riser

...millions more lower earners are too,but don't realise.

.....75% duty on £40 petrol a week

75% duty on £30 of fags@20 a day

...that would be an extra £53ish per WEEK in tax.

thats on top of income tax and NI...which accounts for about 25% of gross earnings

and then council tax works out as about another 5%

shocking.

I once heard that most City high-flyers read The Sun. Can anyone confirm this or do they just stare at the boobies over lunch?

If I was getting a million bonus, I wouldn't consider spending it on UK property I have to say, as there are so many more lucrative ventures out there these days...

I don't know if they stare at the boobies over lunch but:

On the trading floor on one of the desks, the traders all share one copy of The Sun. I don't know who buys it every day (you'd think they earn enough to get one each). They also take turns to take it to the loo.

I don't know if they stare at the boobies over lunch but:

On the trading floor on one of the desks, the traders all share one copy of The Sun. I don't know who buys it every day (you'd think they earn enough to get one each). They also take turns to take it to the loo.

They like the coverage of sport.

Correct me if I'm wrong but City bonuses won't be announced until end November.

There's an awful lot of talk through the grapevine about a misalignment between expectations and what is actually going to get paid.

Oh, and sales of £1m+ properties would not have any impact on the rest of the market. It's not going to help FTBs, nor upgraders.

Chains will remain difficult to complete because there's nobody at the bottom. Simple really.

Edited by Jayne The Payne

Correct. there have always been guys with big bonuses/salaries buying big houses. They move stats disproptionately but do not move the bottom of the market. Even so my contacts in the city are offering big discounts in asking.

Nothing new here. Move along.

thats on top of income tax and NI...which accounts for about 25% of gross earnings

shocking.

oracle - you forgot to add the VAT of 17.5% on more or less everything you spend the remainder on.

shocking.

Duty is quite unfair in this way. If you drink £1.99 Walmart wine, you pay the same duty as on a bottle of Chateaux Margaux for £30. So if you assume low earners drink (and smoke) the same quantity of as high earners, duty hits low earners much harder in percentage terms.

It's very harsh to start take away the income of people on the minimum wage. Flat tax starting at 15k anyone?

(also don't forget the employers NI contributions, which would otherwise be able to go the employee, that's another 11%)

a worrying amount of traders do indeed have a copy of the Sun adorning their desk, that being said alot of them aren't as bright as you might think they should be :blink:

Depends on your definition of bright. Many HPC posters consider Dr Bubb as very bright. I personally think someone like Alan Sugar is immensly bright. I favour the advice of 'seat of the pants' people over those full of facts and figuers when it comes to financial advice. The rich people I know are risk taking suck it and see'ers, not pie - chart protagonists.

Depends on your definition of bright. Many HPC posters consider Dr Bubb as very bright. I personally think someone like Alan Sugar is immensly bright. I favour the advice of 'seat of the pants' people over those full of facts and figuers when it comes to financial advice. The rich people I know are risk taking suck it and see'ers, not pie - chart protagonists.

Funny. I have an opposite experience. Most people I know that work in investment banks (and I know a lot as I worked in them for over a decade), are very logical, mathematically inclined people. There are always salesman pushing the product, but there are more people behind him making it.

Funny. I have an opposite experience. Most people I know that work in investment banks (and I know a lot as I worked in them for over a decade), are very logical, mathematically inclined people. There are always salesman pushing the product, but there are more people behind him making it.

No, the people I know who have made a fortune from nothing are'nt particularly analytical and certainly are'nt interested in mundane detail, they pay accountants for such matters. Most entrepenuers I've met are perhaps slightly mad and gung - ho. I dont think procrastinators / intellectuals are particularly good at spotting opportunities and acting upon them.

No, the people I know who have made a fortune from nothing are'nt particularly analytical and certainly are'nt interested in mundane detail, they pay accountants for such matters. Most entrepenuers I've met are perhaps slightly mad and gung - ho. I dont think procrastinators / intellectuals are particularly good at spotting opportunities and acting upon them.

Just goes to show you that all types of personalities can make money. Most gung-ho people I know are broke.