House Price Crash Forum

One In Three People Cannot Cope With Unexpected Bills Amid A Surge In Those Struggling To Pay For A Car, Holiday And Heating

Piss take ain't it :0(

I'm now looking to buy at <5k a sub 7 second 0-60 car, where the servicing can be performed by a beginner mechanic, cam belt replacement cost is max £70 / year and the headlight replacement is 5 minutes work maximum and sub £50 parts. Not much to ask.

Early Mk V golf GTi without xenons

Suddenly the fact I didn't own up to the dent I put in a 60 plate with my 10 year old car, seems much less shameful. F**k em. Thank you.

I can see now why those who feel worst done by in society decide to start taking things from others.

You don't know where the money came from for that car, so a little unfair!

But this whole situation is responsible for a worsening of how people treat one another, in an environment of so much unearned money and much reduced social mobility where the haves and have nots gap is widening all the time vandalism and theft will become more morally acceptable I think. Its unfair of course because before you judge a person with a nice car you need to know how that situation came about, it's not all buy to let and bankers.

But when prudence and responsibility are punished and irresponsible spending and stupidity are rewarded I can understand the anger, particularly when people show off with their ill given gains.

Now that is a cracking deal. I've emailed the details to my mum :) how did I miss that thanks

May be compared to other leases it is, but after 4 years you hand it back £10500 lighter.

I have worked out that my car, if I just run it for commutes and personal miles costs me <£150 per month (I use about 1 tank of fuel for that on average, my insurance is quite high due to age/area). With that lease Honda I'd be looking at double that (£100/pm fuel and insurance), and I'd have to worry about dents/scratches and shoving tree's and garden waste in it. With my average of 500miles on expenses its around £50 for an older car, still £200 for the Honda. Is it worth it? Not for me. New model does look better than the out going one though, need to resist the urge to change cars for another 3-4 years. C'mon little Seat, don't break :)

So how can we explain that most of the cars on the road are with plates of 60 and newer?

I am in a position where I need to replace my 15 years old car for something more reliable and cant see the logic in buying a new car.

Trying to weight the cons and pros of paying a bit more for 3 years old any car or 5-7 years old Japanese.

And a question to you all, how do you go about buying a car:

- car loan at around 5-8%?

- lease?

- older but paid for straight away £4-6k?

Where would you look for one (that takes you least time). I favour Mazda, Honda and Toyota in that order.

- Auction?Live, online?

- dealer?

- independent trader?

- private?

Mr B recently bought an ex Hertz Ford, about a year old. Rented it first for 10 days to see if he liked it - rental cost knocked off the price.

He'd had the previous car for about 15 yrs - it had done over 204,000 miles and given very little trouble (also Ford).

Nice thread, shame about all the boring car stuff.

What is really significant in housing terms is that those who would struggle with an unexpected financial commitment or pay for a holiday are not going to be in a position to save or who have whittled away any savings they had. What chance saving for a deposit?

What is really significant in housing terms is that those who would struggle with an unexpected financial commitment or pay for a holiday are not going to be in a position to save or who have whittled away any savings they had. What chance saving for a deposit?

Not forgetting the decimation of savings rates that has occurred since FLS took off.

Not forgetting the decimation of savings rates that has occurred since FLS took off.

With stats like these coming out of the ONS, I can't see any appetite for raising rates in the near or mid-term future.

People partied like it was 1999, but all the way from 1999 until 2008. And then they woke up and found their career path had been sent to India and their pay rises are on the endangered species list.

1. Find a car that has the most brutal depreciation that fits your needs.

2. Buy a 4 year old one for cash.

Last year I bought a mondeo on a 58 plate (2009) for £4,000. Electric/electronic/heated/automatic everything, all bells and whistles with 60k on the clock (private sale). New that would have cost me at least £30k.

Was in Tesco picking up a prescription an hour ago. It was snowing, and young lads are walking about without hats - they were soaked and sneezing buying bread in there. One had bumped into a friend and was talking how skint he was, he had to sell his Playstation games, and he was lucky he had those. Dad was also rubbish with money, and pig headed. Certainly the crunch is happening.

How very dare you it's a long time since we had a thread derailed by us petrol heads. But seriously since a car for most modest income families is a large expense there has been some great advice especially:

By a car with a chain driven cam

Avoid late level cars with their can bus problems (car all digitial works a bit like a computer motherboard) my brothers peugeot rcz has been plagued with this for last six months much to my amusement since he took the P*** out of my old duchess the bentley arnage, bmw engine with chain cams and £200 quid road tax.