House Price Crash Forum

Retailer Bust Sweepstake

The way to pick which firms are more likely to go bust is to look for firms that crop up most often in other firms TSR groups in their annual reports. If a firm can pick other firms that do badly, they get bonuses because it improves their own firms performance when compared against a poorly performing group.

So pick a poor firm to see who they think might be even worse. For example we all know how HMV haven't done very well. So to get TSR bonuses they have to have even worse firms in their group. This was their TSR group in their 2010 annual report

Woof woof?

Next, Woof?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A physical store that can beat Internet prices, has proper sales people and is doing a roaring trade. What are they doing that others aren't to manage that eh?

Richer Sounds is cheap as it tends to buy end of run lines/discontinued stock though doesn't it? I think they will survive.

How about Newlook? I think they had a big profits fall in 2012.

How does the end game play out ?

Biggest costs for businesses occupying the high street are Rents and Rates

Rates cannot go down as that would effectively bankrupt councils and so is not an option

Rents could go down but endless supply of fiat at 0.5% will ensure there is no urgency ..

So expect high streets to empty out, interest rates to remain at 0 and council services to deteriorate while the bills rise ?

Julian Richer is also majority owner of Cambridge Audio whose products Richer Sounds sell by the container load. These are sold internationally too. They do seem to have switched more heavily into the TV side of the business in recent years. I think they'll continue to do OK.

Edited by LeeT

Julian Richer is also majority owner of Cambridge Audio whose products Richer Sounds sell by the container load. These are sold internationally too. They do seem to have switched more heavily into the TV side of the business in recent years. I think they'll continue to do OK.

Shows a degree of flexibility. Last time I went there was to check out TV purchase becuase I knew they did deals of nearing end of line stock, in the end could beat the deal on another model I could get online.

Would be surprised to see them go, audio is one thing where many will still go local as if anything more down to personal preference even more than visual/TV.

You've got no chance with Richer Sounds. Their stores used to hold the Guinness world record for having the highest grossing retail stores per sq ft

I think they manage that by having excedingly small stores don't they? Agreed they're not about to go bust though.

I have not seen any financial figures but I disagree. They are not expensive... they are competitive with online prices, they have a good online presence and because their stores are small, they have low overheads. The staff actually know what they are selling too unlike Currys etc.

They do seems to be struggling with the consumer shift away from hi-fi seperates and the ipod generation though. But they have shifted into TVs too, something which years ago Julian Richer used to say he wouldn't do.

Yeah, I think they'll survive more than most. Their stores are small and packed to the seams with stock, so no great rent bills. they're also have a pretty good online presence.

How does the end game play out ?

Biggest costs for businesses occupying the high street are Rents and Rates

Rates cannot go down as that would effectively bankrupt councils and so is not an option

Rents could go down but endless supply of fiat at 0.5% will ensure there is no urgency ..

So expect high streets to empty out, interest rates to remain at 0 and council services to deteriorate while the bills rise ?

+1

The further unintended consequences of ZIRP & QE.

Richer Sounds are absolutely fantastic, another big thumbs up from me. Not mentioned yet are their warranty deals which are excellent value for money (free, in my case!). I paid an extra £10 for an extended warranty for my amp, which would have been £40-50 in Dixons. Then at the end of the period, if you haven't claimed, you can get the £10 back.

Yet people still willingly flocked like idiotic sheep to Dixons and bought stuff there.

ps It's MAPLIN Electronics. There is no "s". in "Maplin"! Maplins was the holiday camp in Hi-De-Hi!

(sorry but that mistake really winds me up)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21043359

Looks like some rumours of poor trading at Dixons. I don't buy that Thorton's strategy for the long term (selling into supermarkets, and other retailers). There's also an analyst quote which I agree with around Thorntons strategy.

Lots of action though in the market.

"The drop in Thorntons' share price following the release of its trading results follows a more than quadrupling of its share price since the beginning of last year on rising hopes of a turnaround."

This is not advice.

Homebase possibly. Like a brainwashed consumer I still go there automatically for my random last minute DIY supplies (sash window lock last time) only to find they almost never have what I need. Very poor stock control in massive stores. I then remember I have the most incredible independent hardware store round the corner from me (on Moorland Road in Bath).

They have a tiny shop crammed floor to ceiling in a reasonably logical fashion with everything you could possibly need. It is truly amazing - and the staff are practical, knowledgable & know exactly where everything is. They have numerous types of batteries - where homebase have a terrible selection & they had several types of sash locks in different finishes whereas homebase had none. Incredibly stupid of homebase considering many houses in Bath have sash windows.

I hope that these small stores do well, whatever happens to the giants. I for one seem to have eventually learnt my lesson after many wasted trips & I now go straight to the independent shop.

Went to buy a washing up bowl at Homebase this morning. They were all £5 each. They didn't have the colour we wanted, so decided to pop in to the recently expanded Tesco's in Warwick to see what they had. EXACTLY the same bowl for £2. Britain - soon to be a supermarket!

I'll go with Coral since it's got the failed idiot that brought down HBOS as it's Chief Executive - like getting rid of a cleaners who are probably on/near minimum wage is going to turn the business around :rolleyes:

Likely to lower staff morale by making them clean the toilets as part of their job:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4580901/Staff-at-bookies-Coral-are-told-to-clean-toilets-in-cuts.html

F**k me, £1 bn in debt, how the heck did a chain of bookies amass so much? Have we got our P.E. parasites to thank for this?

Soooo, this 'value creation plan' worked a treat then! "Replace OEM ranges with third-party produced ranges" I never even saw an own brand Comet product. I suspect this OpCrapita have no clue. This must have lost their investment fund a lot of money. How healthy is this company themselves?

was Proline....

http://www.expressandstar.com/business/city-news/2013/01/12/currys-owner-dixons-retail-reports/

Claims that DSGi had a goodish christmas

City experts predict the group's update on Thursday will reveal like-for-like sales in the UK and Ireland up by between 4% and 6% in the 12 weeks to January 5 after a surge over the crucial festive trading period.

Edited by Dave Beans

Richer Sounds is cheap as it tends to buy end of run lines/discontinued stock though doesn't it? I think they will survive.

How about Newlook? I think they had a big profits fall in 2012.

Nope. They sell all the same stuff as everywhere else - the stuff I bought was the latest model.

Pizza Hut

Little Chef

Little Chef seem to go bust every year.

Their latest plan to help them out of their difficulties...

Franchises: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2200302/Little-Chef-battles-fry-ups-franchising.html

:lol:

Maybe someone could use their redundancy money from HMV to open a Little Chef franchise. The market for £8 fry ups must be booming in the middle of a depression! :rolleyes: