House Price Crash Forum

Naked Eye Comet At End Of 2013

pl1

Worth a heads up:

It may prove to be brighter than any comet of the last century - visible even in broad daylight - and this may end up being its one and only trip to the solar system, as its trajectory may see it plunge into the sun in a fiery death.

t is likely to recall the excitement of Comet Hale-Bopp, which sailed past the Earth in 1997, appearing as a static-looking smear in the skies across the Northern Hemisphere.

It is also set to outshine 'the greatest comet of the last century' - Comet McNaught, which shone brighter than Venus as it passed above the southern hemisphere in 1965.

'The comet looks like it could become a very spectacular sight in the evening sky after sunset from the UK in late November and early December 2013.

http://www.dailymail...Earth-2013.html

You didn't see hale-bopp ? It was naked eye visible, a big smudge in the sky - hard to miss !

Was just about to ask this when I saw your post.

1997 I was living and working in central London. The orange glow in the sky from the city lights meant that the only visible objects in the night sky were the moon and Venus.

You missed an absolute stunner. I've never forgotten it, even all these years later. Driving home one night it just looked amazing. I remember the last night of viewing, I went out to have one last look at it in the low sky. Anyway, I'm not saying this to annoy you because it sounds like you've been given a second chance to see something even better.

Even if it's only half as bright as Hale-Bopp it should be spectaculor.

Keep up the good work: wouldn't want anyone to miss the biggest, brightest, thing in the sky for hundreds of years!

You would be surprised. Most people give me a blank look when I say about Orion heralding the arrival of autumn ("the frosty glories of Orion"); people don't look up.

You would be surprised. Most people give me a blank look when I say about Orion heralding the arrival of autumn ("the frosty glories of Orion"); people don't look up.

Always amazes me that. A while ago in the pub somebody asked when the next full moon was. I said Thursday and everybody looked at me as if I was strange for knowing.

The man who asked works in A&E, he says full moon is always a busy night.

Always amazes me that. A while ago in the pub somebody asked when the next full moon was. I said Thursday and everybody looked at me as if I was strange for knowing.

The man who asked works in A&E, he says full moon is always a busy night.

Was it this pub you were in by any chance...?

XYY

1997 I was living and working in central London. The orange glow in the sky from the city lights meant that the only visible objects in the night sky were the moon and Venus.

It was dead clear here in Lewisham. I know it's not the liveliest bit of London, but you must have been somewhere pretty bright! :blink:

Archived