House Price Crash Forum
DonnieDarker

Hight Street Sales (anecdotal)

Was on Tottenahm Court Road yesterday shopping for furnishings.

Virtually all of the big homeware/furniture retailers are having 20% off sales.

Have heard of a number of 20/30% flash sales happening at the likes of M&S too...again, homeware.

Was on Tottenahm Court Road yesterday shopping for furnishings.

Virtually all of the big homeware/furniture retailers are having 20% off sales.

Have heard of a number of 20/30% flash sales happening at the likes of M&S too...again, homeware.

Furniture sellers are having the worst time of all the retailers - its logical Captain.

Didn't Amanda Tapping look sensational yesterday on T4?

Laura Ashley had an offer on all their furniture, buy one get one half price. Now that offer has ended its

20% off instead. This is November so sales should not be on.!!!

To be fair though I have noticed that the high street in general (Oxford St, London) and my local area is actually a lot busier than during the summer.

If Ikea were to struggle it would really surprise me. MFI has a lot of overpriced goods or its cheap and nasty. There webiste is really poor aswell. Ikea is fairly good value for money. But you never know.

On similar points.

M+S, Debenhams and House of Fraser will all have 24 hour sales either later this month or very early December. For HofF this will be a second one and the first one was like a mogue. My wife (with mother in law) were being served by 3 very bored saleswomen who had sold very little from about 4o'clock onwards.

Are there any bikers out there btw? If so, what's your current bike?

Thinking of getting a Kawasaki ZZR1400 next year, what d'you reckon? I know, small willy and all that... :lol:

A Triumph T595 Daytona - hence the moniker. Has broken down spectactularly a few times, but the design flaws have now been fixed with the parts from later models, so <touch wood>, it should carry on working for a while after being something of a money pit, and repay what it owes me.

A 1993 Kawasaki Zephyr 750. Very scabby, high mileage, but cheap as chips to run, starts every time, so provides cheap reliable transport, and I'm not worried about dropping it, or having it nicked. Keeps me sane on my commute through the congested South-East.

I ride all year round, and do almost as many miles on two wheels as four.

Intending to get a new bike, but can't decide between a 1000cc sportsbike (expensive on tyres & consumables, faster than is necessary), 600cc sportsbike (as much as is needed performance-wise, but will feel buzzy and frantic to me), or a big streetfightery thing, like the new Yam FZ1 - more comfy and practical, but is supposed to be 20kg heavier than the sportsbike. Whether this will matter is another thing entirely. Have been thinking for so long that it looks as if I've been overtaken by events (second child on the way), so we'll need a more practical car, so looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

If you actually ride the ZZR, I expect the running costs will be quite scary. If you don't ride it, what's the point in having it? I would expect a back tyre to be shot in 2500 miles for a start. Unless you want to cover Europe by Autobahn only, the only attraction these bikes have for me is their high potential top speed, which is academic in most cases, and only of use for pub bragging rights. Most pub regulars will be impressed by anything that can exceed 160mph anyway, which is quite few bikes. However, their relatively comfy ergonomics and torquey engines have some attraction I suppose, most of which exists in a Honda VFR.

Some friends of mine are in a bike club in South Africa, and one event they have is an annual charity "economy run". This is normally won by someone on a Suzuki Hayabusa or similar, so these big four cylinder engines can be light on fuel if you reign back the right wrist. (I think 125's are excluded from the run by the time/distance to be covered)

The only Kawasaki I had was a z1300 (the big 6 cylinder one) – worst bike I ever owned the Honda cx500 I kept for 16 years never went wrong just kept putting on new tyres and exhausts. I also had a 1340 softtale – paid £9500 for it, drove it for 2 years and sold it for £9500 – it was the best bike I ever drove through the lime house link on my way to work

Sold them all now as theres no need for bikes in the country side (STR ing changed my life)

Mrs BA has some kind of scooter, so can I play with you leather-clad men too?

This time of year I'm wearing gore-tex lined cordura. There's not an obviously originally animal product on me - even my boots are synthetic.

The only Kawasaki I had was a z1300 (the big 6 cylinder one) – worst bike I ever owned the Honda cx500 I kept for 16 years never went wrong just kept putting on new tyres and exhausts. I also had a 1340 softtale – paid £9500 for it, drove it for 2 years and sold it for £9500 – it was the best bike I ever drove through the lime house link on my way to work

Sold them all now as theres no need for bikes in the country side (STR ing changed my life)

Only Kwakka I used to have was an old GPZ550, what an excellent bike. Although I was used to riding 1000/1100 jap bikes in the past, I'm now thinking of buying, something around 500cc that I don't have to worry about getting nicked/ scraped and is cheap to buy & run. Any suggestions ?

How could you consider such juicy monsters though, Looks like you missed my previous post on diesel bikes :P

"This looks like a great links & resource page for Diesel Motorbikes http://www.peace65.freeserve.co.uk/Pictures/diesel.htm

Check out the photos on the diesel bike rally ! Almost exciting enough to make an HPC regular trade in his Proton :-) http://www.peace65.freeserve.co.uk/Pictures/hamm.htm "

:)

I'm now thinking of buying, something around 500cc that I don't have to worry about getting nicked/ scraped and is cheap to buy & run. Any suggestions ?

Get a Honda cx 500 /650 / turbo you get 50 to the gallon– 1 million couriers cannot be wrong- they are actually getting collectable- buy one now while you still can before they go out of your reach- you have to get your foot on the ladder – opps I went into house buying VI mode.

Get anything a London courier uses – they are always the best – ideally with crash bars – I used mine 2-3 times and saved my knees once on a fiesta that pulled out into me (smashed his indicator and put me on the floor)

I ride a Sachs 650 Roadster. Never seen another on the road as most born agains like UJM motors. It cost me £1900 in May 04 when it was about 9 months old...bargain.

Started on a Gilera 50 in 1979, then 250 Super Dream, then I went couriering in london. Started with Pony Express then moved to Security Despatch. Rode a RS250 and got the single bug.

Going back to house prices - then 1985 I rented a room with two other couriers in Greenford, behind the B&Q on teh Western Avenue. The landlord put the house on the market as our tenancy expired for £90k. Thats a 1930's style 3 bed semi. Rent was about £150 per month each I think. We moved to a squat in Peckham B)

MFI => Made for idiots just like new builds... :)

Right, I'm off again, it's a nice day so it's time to get on me motorcycle that I didn't have to MEW for. I like to terrorise nice neighbourhoods on me beast. There are just so many For Sale signs out there for me to oggle at and women to be oggled by... :D

Thinking of getting a Kawasaki ZZR1400 next year, what d'you reckon? I know, small willy and all that... :lol:

I have a 1992 Ducati 900SS (old sports bike) and a 2001 Yamaha YZF-R6 (new sports bike). The R6 is much better for touring on than the Ducati (although the 900 is not too bad). (Yes, you can tour on a Ducati.) (Lovely roads in Hokkaido, except the speed limit is 50 km/h everywhere....)

I thought MFI stood for 'More F*****g Inconvenience'? :D

I went to buy a HiFi rack from MFI some years ago.

They said it would take 6 weeks for it to be delivered.

If you want cheapo furniture, you might as well go to Argos.

At least it'll be in stock and you can take it back if you don't like it.

I went to buy a HiFi rack from MFI some years ago.

They said it would take 6 weeks for it to be delivered.

Another MFI story.. some years ago my son was studying in Northampton and needed a desk. We found one in the local MFI but were told delivery would be several weeks. The MFI National Distribution Centre was in the same building......

Get a Honda cx 500 /650 / turbo you get 50 to the gallon– 1 million couriers cannot be wrong- they are actually getting collectable- buy one now while you still can before they go out of your reach- you have to get your foot on the ladder – opps I went into house buying VI mode.

Get anything a London courier uses – they are always the best – ideally with crash bars – I used mine 2-3 times and saved my knees once on a fiesta that pulled out into me (smashed his indicator and put me on the floor)

Cheers, def - crash bars. I have not seen a cx500 for years, but they were great bikes. I assume the couriers thrashed them to death. More modern equivalents should be about, mind.

cbr600

Yeah they're are nice, but probably still too sporty & nickable.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Though I'm starting to discover how funky diesel bikes are, I'm sure most would in their heart of hearts, prefer one of these MFs!

Reap and weep suckers!

The Jet Turbine Motorcycle! :o

I remember seeing a feature on these on 'Bikes Aloud', M&M last year sometime. I'll tell yer, if one of these babies ventured down your way, you'd be forgiven for thinking that an F16 had just landed on your street...

http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp

Trust Jay Leno to have one...

http://www.rideontv.com/episodes/CRN0005/leno.html

:lol: awesome, To be fair, they say you can run the turbine on diesel. Forgot about that beauty, I've got an article on it or similar type in a crazy super bike book, apparently if you blow the turbine, they will give you a new one for free. The logic being anyone who can blow it, deserves a freebie.

The momentum for building them originally came from came from decommissioned Helicopter turbines that had reached their max air miles. but were still perfectly usable.

Furniture sellers are having the worst time of all the retailers - its logical Captain.

A local furniture factory and retail outlet is closing down altogether. Enough said about the market.