House Price Crash Forum
homeless

The Window Tax

i cant stop laughing but in a demented kinda way with a touch of madness.

This government is insane, now people that look after there house will pay more tax than someone that leaves there property like a shit heap.

This is the most insane thing to come from numpty labour so far

Will people be able to avoid the new tax if they nail the windows shut and paint the glass black? Alternatively could they could fill their gardens with rubbish and old caravans to offset scenic views. How about huge Leylandi hedges to obscure the countryside?

This is basically class warfare. It smacks of greed, of jealousy and of hate. It is New Liebour showing its true colours. Ironically, coming from a man who has two jags and who has grace and favour homes, well, I am reminded of how arrogant the Tory Government came in their final years.

I assume that you're talking about the council tax. How else are you going to judge the value of a house without including how it looks, whether it's in a pleasant environment, etc.?

This is basically class warfare. It smacks of greed, of jealousy and of hate. It is New Liebour showing its true colours. Ironically, coming from a man who has two jags and who has grace and favour homes, well, I am reminded of how arrogant the Tory Government came in their final years.

But it's a Tory policy. The council tax, based on property valuations, which obviously include allowing for local amenities, property improvements, and so on, was introduced by the Conservative government in the early 90s. Nothing has changed except that the rabid right-wing press is trying to stir up trouble by blaming Labour for implementing Conservative legislation.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
by blaming Labour for implementing Conservative legislation.

I thought governments could reverse legislation they don`t believe in passed by previous governments, unless they think it`s a good idea. :unsure:

Guest Guy_Montag

I have said this countless times, & I'll keep saying it while people gaze vacantly out the window hoping I'll shut up & just ****** off.

Who is the best person to value a house? Obviously the person who bought it most recently, so make council tax a proportion of the amount paid for the house. If you think a two-person new-build flat in Shitsville, is worth £400k, fine. Then you can afford to pay £4k a year council tax. On the other hand if you think your 2 bed terraced is worth £80k, fine pay £800 a year council tax. If you're old and living on a pension, you probably bought your house when it cost £300, pay £3 a year council tax.

It might focus the minds of people bidding if they know that what they pay now will be reflected in their tax burden for the foreseeable future.

I thought governments could reverse legislation they don`t believe in passed by previous governments, unless they think it`s a good idea. :unsure:

They can. But it's unusual for the party that passed the original legislation to stand on the sidelines and say "Yes, this was a really stupid idea when we passed it, because we're a bunch of idiots, and you shouldn't do what we said we would do", which is effectively what the current criticism amounts to. And they don't have enough parliamentary time to undo everything that the previous party passed, so they have to prioritise their targets.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

They can. But it's unusual for the party that passed the original legislation to stand on the sidelines and say "Yes, this was a really stupid idea when we passed it, because we're a bunch of idiots, and you shouldn't do what we said we would do", which is effectively what the current criticism amounts to. And they don't have enough parliamentary time to undo everything that the previous party passed, so they have to prioritise their targets.

Cheers, got it now. :rolleyes:

BTW was that you being interviewed on the Vanessa Feltz show on Radio London this morning?

But it's a Tory policy. The council tax, based on property valuations, which obviously include allowing for local amenities, property improvements, and so on, was introduced by the Conservative government in the early 90s. Nothing has changed except that the rabid right-wing press is trying to stir up trouble by blaming Labour for implementing Conservative legislation.

Zorn

Council tax is a charge for services rendered. Because of this, there must be some link between the level of the charge and the true cost of providing the services for a given property. The current formula reflects this insofar as large properties attract higher charges.

To suggest that the formula should include such nebulous factors as quality of views is like a car park setting charges according to the age and model of cars (rather than space occupied). I think you should concede that this idea looks depressingly like envy tax.

The reason that this is such a hot potato is that most of our council tax money is being wasted on frivoulous projects, unecessary jobs and inflated salaries.

The council tax system we have today came into being as a result of opposition to the poll tax. The opposition included street riots and a scaffold pole being thrown through the window of a police car. Labour were strong opponents of the poll tax. The irony is that the poll tax was the fairest local tax system we have ever had (and I am not saying it is the fairest we could have).

Council tax is a charge for services rendered.

No, it isn't. To regard any tax as some kind of payment for services used is to misunderstand the nature of taxation at a very fundamental level. Local taxation such as council tax is your contribution to the community in which you live. It's not based at all on your need for or use of services, it's based on how much you can afford to contribute. Well off people tend to contribute more and use less -- that's the nature of taxation, and it can't work any other way.

I though people were kidding, but Zorn, do you work directly or indirectly for the Powers That Be? Is this part of your job? If not, why are you doing this?

No, I'm not associated with the Labour party. I don't even vote for them, and I deplore a lot of their policies -- they're very poor on human rights and on devolution of control to local government, for example. But too much of what we're seeing here consists of "I don't like the way the world works and it's New Labour's fault", and I find it disturbing that the press can spin a stupid story about the government revaluing properties for the council tax, in a way to which no one has made any actual substantive objections, into this hysterical nonsense about being taxed for your view.

Zorn

Council tax is a charge for services rendered. Because of this, there must be some link between the level of the charge and the true cost of providing the services for a given property. The current formula reflects this insofar as large properties attract higher charges.

To suggest that the formula should include such nebulous factors as quality of views is like a car park setting charges according to the age and model of cars (rather than space occupied). I think you should concede that this idea looks depressingly like envy tax.

The reason that this is such a hot potato is that most of our council tax money is being wasted on frivoulous projects, unecessary jobs and inflated salaries.

The council tax system we have today came into being as a result of opposition to the poll tax. The opposition included street riots and a scaffold pole being thrown through the window of a police car. Labour were strong opponents of the poll tax. The irony is that the poll tax was the fairest local tax system we have ever had (and I am not saying it is the fairest we could have).

Spot on.

Poll tax was a fair system. Everyone paid the same for the services they used. It's the yobs & scroungers that rioted because they'd have had to forego some of their hard earned benefit to pay for it.

No, it isn't. To regard any tax as some kind of payment for services used is to misunderstand the nature of taxation at a very fundamental level. Local taxation such as council tax is your contribution to the community in which you live. It's not based at all on your need for or use of services, it's based on how much you can afford to contribute. Well off people tend to contribute more and use less -- that's the nature of taxation, and it can't work any other way.

Zorn, you are wrong. Tax is a payment for services. The only difference is that people contribute varying amounts according to their financial circumstances (quite reasonably so). Public servants fiercely resist attempts to define taxes as payment for services because it would imply that there is a link between the money they spend and the public services they responsible for. For public servants, transparency and accountability is the stuff of nightmares.

No, I'm not associated with the Labour party. I don't even vote for them, and I deplore a lot of their policies -- they're very poor on human rights and on devolution of control to local government, for example. But too much of what we're seeing here consists of "I don't like the way the world works and it's New Labour's fault", and I find it disturbing that the press can spin a stupid story about the government revaluing properties for the council tax, in a way to which no one has made any actual substantive objections, into this hysterical nonsense about being taxed for your view.

Government spending is out of control and public services are in a hopeless mess. Who is responsible if not new labour. Where does the buck stop if not with the government?