House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Moroco

I have just had the misfortune to do my vacumming whilst listening to a BBC TV programme where they took a couple seeking a second home around the next hot thing - Moroco.

At the point in the programme when the couple were shown what was, to me, identical to a sheep pen on a Welsh hill farm the voice over commented that, in that particular town, no English people lived yet and how they could get in first. Cut to shots of the market in the town showing not one white race and everyone dressed in robes.

Now, don't get me wrong - I have many friends of all shapes, faiths and all colours and I know Moroco's Government is pro West and anti Al Qaeda but I could not help thinking that you would stand out like a sore thumb in that place. Be easier to paint a bullseye on your forehead would it not?

What next from the BBC - the North Pole, be first to buy there and get in now before the ice melts!?

I have just had the misfortune to do my vacumming whilst listening to a BBC TV programme where they took a couple seeking a second home around the next hot thing - Moroco.

At the point in the programme when the couple were shown what was, to me, identical to a sheep pen on a Welsh hill farm the voice over commented that, in that particular town, no English people lived yet and how they could get in first. Cut to shots of the market in the town showing not one white race and everyone dressed in robes.

Now, don't get me wrong - I have many friends of all shapes, faiths and all colours and I know Moroco's Government is pro West and anti Al Qaeda but I could not help thinking that you would stand out like a sore thumb in that place. Be easier to paint a bullseye on your forehead would it not?

What next from the BBC - the North Pole, be first to buy there and get in now before the ice melts!?

I have no problem with the 'Beeny Babes' moving to Morroco. Keep up the good work BBC.

This programme is a repeat and was shown many months ago. Maybe 7/8 months ago...

I wonder if prices have dropped 20% since then? :)

20% off £22,000 B)

Why take a negative view? Any worthwhile commercial endeavour has risks.

Morocco is a superb investment and no doubt people will envy those brave enough to take the plunge and make 500% returns in 4 years.

The UK was built by risk - takers, be they military men or explorers, not by those that sat around worrying.

Take care not to become a life - long bear, you might regret it when you are 80 ('I wish I'd taken a couple of real risks in my life').

Not so sure DB, I'd put Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Panama and India all above Morocco on my list. You've got some really nasty political risks there, not to mention terrorism, and I afraid to say locals who never ever leave you along when they see a white face , oh and no short/medium term prospect of a wealthy local middle class emerging to boost the market.

No I'd say India or Brazil are far better bets. And if you want to stay near to home then look 50 miles West to the Canary Islands.

Hi

I've visited the area a few times.

Morocco is a favourite 2nd home location for the French.

You can check existing low cost purchase deals , time share, etc here.

Would I buy there ?

You must be joking !

Peter

Yeah just look at what's happening in France - and indeed globally (Australia - Algerians involved). The rift between Muslim and christian countries is widening all the time. IMO if you buy a second home in any Muslim country you are really taking a gamble.

Hi

I've visited the area a few times.

Morocco is a favourite 2nd home location for the French.

You can check existing low cost purchase deals , time share, etc here.

Would I buy there ?

You must be joking !

Peter

Can I ask why? I am tempted by the new resort being built on the med. coast near Tangier, looks a lot for your money. Lots of "fors" cant think of any "againsts". Any advice on buying in Morocco please?

Thanks

Can I ask why? I am tempted by the new resort being built on the med. coast near Tangier, looks a lot for your money. Lots of "fors" cant think of any "againsts". Any advice on buying in Morocco please?

Thanks

Hi

my concerns are :

Longterm political stability Details

Future economy and stability of the currency

Lack of cheap transport options

Morocco has great natural beauty, relatively low prices and a different culture. The legal process and bureaucracy is similar to that in France. The climate is slightly better than South France in winter. The poverty and unemployment result in begging and minor crime in some areas.

Overall, I prefer to take odd holidays, rather than invest in property there.

I should say that I live in France : one long days drive from Gibraltar and we have a local ferry to Tangier.

Peter

Hi

my concerns are :

Longterm political stability Details

Future economy and stability of the currency

Lack of cheap transport options

Morocco has great natural beauty, relatively low prices and a different culture. The legal process and bureaucracy is similar to that in France. The climate is slightly better than South France in winter. The poverty and unemployment result in begging and minor crime in some areas.

Overall, I prefer to take odd holidays, rather than invest in property there.

I should say that I live in France : one long days drive from Gibraltar and we have a local ferry to Tangier.

Peter

Thank you Peter, I love Morocco to visit and we were considering investing in one of the new resorts however you do raise interesting arguments. As it has to be an investment as well as a vacation home, i think perhaps we have to widen the net. Any advice on up and coming "stable" places to buy?

Much appreciated

Isn't there a bridge or a tunnel being built from Morocco to Spain?

I doubt it. Neither Spain nor Morocco has the money to embark on such a project, so the only way it will ever be built is if the EU fund it - and I can't think of any good reason why the EU should want to.