House Price Crash Forum

Sold The House - Off To Live In A Forest

nomadicdonkey

Right. Here goes:

After nearly a decade of becoming increasingly miserable in a well sought after area of inner city London I finally sold the flat to a bunch of creative wealthy hipsters and am in the process of moving into a forest with a canvas bell tent.

Why?

I'm sick of the pollution, the people & their desperation to be hip, the struggling & depressed poor, the destitute ghettos, the unfriendliness, the constant coughs & viruses which shoot through the city like wildfire (I'm immune compromised so this hits me hard), the recycled sewage that passes for drinking tap water, the rubbish food in the supermarkets, the overpriced decent food in the farmers markets, being forced to excercise in sweaty virus ridden gyms (I need fresh air and long hikes in nature), the work- commute-crash-wake-up cycle .... and more.

The quality of life sucks. I'm tired, sick, demoralised and need to escape. Anything is better then this. So, I need some advice. I've looked into campervans, diesels estate cars (great mpg) and I'm now looking into 4wd with good mpg. I'm going to spend a year living as cheap as possible and hiking along the coasts to regain my health & vitality. I'l also be spending my time eating healthily, doing some meditation, reading & writing.

Or in other words finally having a life.

Decided against the campervan as I need something that is cheaper, does better mpg and can go off road. I think a 4wd, with camping gear, and the rear seats removed so I can sleep in the back should I need to is the way forward. I can cook outside, shit in a hole (IA good shovel is useful) & I'll carry lots of water. I need to get a leisure battery hooked-up as I'll need a little bit of power for laptop & mobile phone. And a 5m canvas bell tent. For heating I'll look into portable gas or wood stoves.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Here goes:

After nearly a decade of becoming increasingly miserable in a well sought after area of inner city London I finally sold the flat to a bunch of creative wealthy hipsters and am in the process of moving into a forest with a canvas bell tent.

Why?

I'm sick of the pollution, the people & their desperation to be hip, the struggling & depressed poor, the destitute ghettos, the unfriendliness, the constant coughs & viruses which shoot through the city like wildfire (I'm immune compromised so this hits me hard), the recycled sewage that passes for drinking tap water, the rubbish food in the supermarkets, the overpriced decent food in the farmers markets, being forced to excercise in sweaty virus ridden gyms (I need fresh air and long hikes in nature), the work- commute-crash-wake-up cycle .... and more.

The quality of life sucks. I'm tired, sick, demoralised and need to escape. Anything is better then this. So, I need some advice. I've looked into campervans, diesels estate cars (great mpg) and I'm now looking into 4wd with good mpg. I'm going to spend a year living as cheap as possible and hiking along the coasts to regain my health & vitality. I'l also be spending my time eating healthily, doing some meditation, reading & writing.

Decided against the campervan as I need something that is cheaper, does better mpg and can go off road. I think a 4wd, with camping gear, and the rear seats removed so I can sleep in the back should I need to is the way forward. I can cook outside, shit in a hole (IA good shovel is useful) & I'll carry lots of water. I need to get a leisure battery hooked-up as I'll need a little bit of power for laptop & mobile phone. And a 5m canvas bell tent. For heating I'll look into portable gas or wood stoves.

Cool. On your own or with other(s)?

Right. Here goes:

Why?

Well done you! Go for it!

Right. Here goes:

Why?

Probably best to research "wild camping". All land is owned by someone, and a lot of the owners don't like people pitching a tent and /or parking a vehicle on theirs.

Some good stuff here http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=4731

Congrats on the sale.

I've slept in the back of a long wheelbase landrover. I'm quite tall so couldn't stretch out fully, but I'd still rate it as the best "car sleep" I've had to date. You could board out the back for very little money to get more storage and a wider bed.

Economy isn't so good, though, even with the diesels.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the adventure.

Right. Here goes:

Are you absolutely sure you need a 4WD?. They will cost more and limit your space?

You could buy a van and convert it.

http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/

http://www.campervanlife.com/

A couple of other threads already on here

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=94060&st=0

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=78151&st=0

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Don't think 4x4 is way to go - number of times you would really need it? Edit - internal layout not the best either - you want MPV like with falt floor pan you can strip seats out to flat bed as starting point.

Could go really small and cheap, if you could hack it.

Full up camper vans have so much that you eventually find you neeed though - like insulation, a degree of power storage, internal cooking facilities, awning always good - keep dry but not cooped up. Costly and height restrictions abound for all the places you'd likely want to go so small size is definitely an advantage there.]

Cheaper - pick up something like t4/older T5 convert to day van, insulate a bit and upgrade as you go - just stuff like a portaloo will seem like extreme comfort if you are living rough a while.

If you go van get it before the spring summer, price will be a lot better in middle of winter.

Edited by OnlyMe

Got some friends doing WorkAway out of a long wheel base Land Rover.

They haven't looked back. They are self-sufficient types though and can odd job easily and also make and sell. They have only been without accommodation in return for fair labour for a couple of weeks in the last 52. I am very tempted myself in 2 or 3 years if I can't find my idea of an idyllic place to live.

However, I always thought this was a way to do it

The following article appeared on HPC a while ago. There are some good links within it.

Guardian Article

Edited by LiveinHope

We used to do quite a lot of mileage in a 2002 LDV convoy which had an economical Transit Duratorque engine. I think that you would be much better off with a van then you can spend more time relaxing than worrying about the tent, heating setting up and packing away.

Convoys are one of the cheapest vans you can get, they are basic but reliable. Any delivery driver would tell you not to get one because they are not as conformable as other makes.

First one on eBay: £3,175.00+ VAT 005 05 LDV CONVOY 400 2.4 17 SEATER MINIBUS, HIGHROOF

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-05-LDV-CONVOY-400-2-4-17-SEATER-MINIBUS-HIGHROOF-/271122561991?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item3f2029fbc7

I may well buy one this year and bring it back to Ireland to convert. You can spend as much / little as you like con converting the van.

$%28KGrHqZ,!j!FC9M0mITLBQzwgriiFw~~_1.JPG

Much better than a car + tent IMO.

Realistically 35~40MPG if you do not go over 60mph.

That one looks a little tatty, I would stick with an 05 convoy over the 97 transporter any day.

I have spent many house pontificating over campervans and my carboot sale thrift tells me that the convoy is by far the cheapest and most reliable budget campervan.

That one looks a little tatty, I would stick with an 05 convoy over the 97 transporter any day.

I have spent many house pontificating over campervans and my carboot sale thrift tells me that the convoy is by far the cheapest and most reliable budget campervan.

Agree, just buy a basic van and put in what you want (either new or s/h), more reliable and likely to get money back on whatever put in, need to start with a reliable vehile to start off with.

Only problem with bongos is they can be exensive trouble - heard of clocking being common and spares expensive/tricky to get.

Edited by OnlyMe

You will need a fair size vehicle to carry round a 5m dia canvas bell tent, good luck pitching that on your own too.

However it's a good choice of tent when put up right and could serve well as a semi permanent base.

If I was you I'd look at a Land Rover and awning combo, too many variations to list but this is the way I'd go and forget the tent.

BF

A quick reminder... depending on how old you are there is a weight limit and also a limit on the number of seats the vehicle officially has. For a young person, under 40, this will be 3.5T I think or 8 seats. You need a special licence (LGV/PCV) to drive anything over that unless you are over 40 in which case you will have got your licence long enough ago to drive up to 9T and 16 seats IIRC.

I'm sure someone here knows the exact details.

Thanks for the speedy replies. Thanks for the encouraging comments & links. Everyone else thinks I’m nut 

I’m planning on using the http://www.workaway.info/ site and do some honest healthy manual labour in exchange for food & house. I’m ruling out the 4wd, too expensive to run. Thanks for the tips, yes been looking at vw t4/t5. Thanks for the LDV CONVOY suggestion, at 40mpg that looks very affordable. The Mazda Bongo also looks good.

I'm over 40 btw :)

I have been camping, caravanning and campervanning all my life.

1 Tents are not reliable. I have had two blow away in gales. They get damp inside whatever you do. They are cold.

2 Caravans are great, but they need to be towed and are a pain in towns etc.

3 Campervans are the best. You can stop pretty well anywhere if they are small. Just pull into a suburban street for the night. Need a crap in the High Street? No problem, just close the curtains. Like an afternoon nap? no problem just lie down. Want a cup of coffee? no problem, just put the kettle on. On a night out, too much to drink? just camp in the pub car park. Chances are they will never know you were there.