House Price Crash Forum

Un f****** believable:

A London NHS trust has overpaid its staff by a total of nearly £1m a year since 2010, documents have revealed.

In one case, a doctor was paid £4,000 a month by Barts and the London NHS Trust for nearly four years for on-call duties he or she was not doing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20920740

"The trust said the amount was 0.25% of its total salary bill of £393 million."

Oh, that's OK then. :blink:

And has the doctor been sacked for four years of fraudulent claims? He/she must have known what the 4k was for and that they were not doing the work.

Agreed. Doctors have a high level of responsibility to maintain the huge trust that society places in them. How could this doctor not have noticed known they were wrong?? Even for a doctor 4k a month would be a large part of their income! I hope the medical supervisory body investigates this and considers if disciplinary action appropriate...OH, AND GETS THE MONEY BACK PLUS INTEREST.

Agreed. Doctors have a high level of responsibility to maintain the huge trust that society places in them. How could this doctor not have noticed known they were wrong?? Even for a doctor 4k a month would be a large part of their income! I hope the medical supervisory body investigates this and considers if disciplinary action appropriate...OH, AND GETS THE MONEY BACK PLUS INTEREST.

Agreed. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a degree of dishonesty here that should be suitably investigated.

That said, where I've worked in the NHS, HR are notoriously inept. Almost every single person I've worked with has had some type of payment problem on a regular basis - be it incorrect on-call payments, incorrect pension contributions, etc. I've had several episodes where I've been overpaid. On one of those, trying to get them to realize that they'd made a mistake was a major difficulty (I'd been paid for on-calls, for a period where I wasn't doing them). In the end, I had to get letters from various managers, consultants, etc. before they would sort it out - even then, rather than just send me an invoice for the overpaid salary; they started immediately threatening bailiffs and debt collectors.

Going back to the original point. £4k a month? Even as gross salary, I'm not aware of anything on the payscale that pays that for on-call. None.

The only one that comes close, is a very experienced junior (almost consultant grade) working an illegal (under the working time regulations) on-call rota. I wasn't aware that any trusts still used these illegal rosters, due to the *massive* extra salary that needs to be paid under the junior doctor contract.

Consultant on-call works differently, and is paid at a much lower level. There was a phase, when illegal on-call rotas were still in regular use, that a junior would take a significant pay-cut when being promoted to consultant.

Edited by ChumpusRex
  • 1 month later...

On the subject of waste at the NHS, this is unbelievable:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9873942/De-clutter-your-desk-if-you-want-a-successful-career.html

According to a leading expert, having a cluttered environment reflects a cluttered mind and the act of tidying up can help you be more successful.

The advice comes from Jayne Morris, the resident “life coach” for NHS Online, who said it is no good just moving the mess around.

In order to clear the mind, unwanted items must be thrown away to free your “internal world”, she said.

And has the doctor been sacked for four years of fraudulent claims? He/she must have known what the 4k was for and that they were not doing the work.

Is it not possible that the quack in question has indeed queried these payments. Even faintly possible, has tried hard to get them stopped?