House Price Crash Forum
scavenger2012

"gordon Brown's Missing Billions"

Apologies if this has been flagged before. Looks like a must-see however...

20:00 Dispatches

[subtitles]

Treasury: Gordon Brown's Missing Billions

Economist Andrew Dilnot looks at where Gordon Brown policies have gone wrong, and examines the consequences for all of us. He argues that Brown has steered the British economy from a budget surplus of nearly 20 billion into a budget deficit of over 30 billion...

Apologies if this has been flagged before. Looks like a must-see however...

20:00 Dispatches

[subtitles]

Treasury: Gordon Brown's Missing Billions

Economist Andrew Dilnot looks at where Gordon Brown policies have gone wrong, and examines the consequences for all of us. He argues that Brown has steered the British economy from a budget surplus of nearly 20 billion into a budget deficit of over 30 billion...

Maybe when he said "No more boom and bust." he actually forgot about the punctuation.

Perhaps his speech-writer meant him to say "We will have more teachers, more nurses, more police officers (or whatever else he said), no more boom. And Bust.".

Or perhaps Brown is just a bit too pedantic and can claim that he said "No more boom AND bust." and that he has kept to that by giving us just "bust" without the boom, hence he has, indeed, not given us boom AND bust.

Either way, he's a dobber.

well what would have happened to the uk economy over the labour years without rising house prices.

the people would be screaming in the streets, its house price rises that have masked the labour governments terrible economics.

Maybe when he said "No more boom and bust." he actually forgot about the punctuation.

What he actually said was no more TORY boom and bust:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/458871.stm

I say to this conference

As a Labour Party and as a Labour Government, we have only just begun.

Now the essential first stage of our journey since 1997, has been to end damaging economic instability --- to tackle the Tory boom and bust which served the interests of a privileged few but left millions insecure and worse off.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1065-1601384,00.html

How many times do we need to replay the tape of Mr Brown growling “no return to Tory boom and bust!” before the urgency of promoting him begins to fade?

I get the feeling he will not be called the 'Teflon' chancellor for much longer. I have seen more anti-Brown articles in the press in the last six months than I did in their entire first term.

Perhaps his speech-writer meant him to say "We will have more teachers, more nurses, more police officers (or whatever else he said), no more boom. And Bust.".

Or perhaps Brown is just a bit too pedantic and can claim that he said "No more boom AND bust." and that he has kept to that by giving us just "bust" without the boom, hence he has, indeed, not given us boom AND bust.

Either way, I rate you a bit of a pratt. :)

More stories like the Andrew Dilnot's programme is exactly what we need. However, what is missing is what GB will do about the decision he faces: higher taxes, lower spending, bit of both or try and borrow more by abandoning the 'golden rule'. If he borrows more, than we could wait another 3+ years for a HPC!

Or how about NO. More boom and bust. :)

Either way, I rate you a bit of a pratt. :)

Really? I couldn't care less. I rate you a complete prat, and I can also spell "prat". :)

Or how about NO. More boom and bust. :)

:lol:

Edited by aclwalker

how can you believe a money man who claims to make a 'miracle' from money ?

worst thing is, hes ruined new labour. before all this in 1997-2001 they seemed to be delivering the goods.

i was really happy with it all. i thought the country felt good. now im as disolusioned as at the height of thatcherism.

It always amazes me how forgiving or forgetful or naive the UK public are. It was Brown & Blair who decided to sell a very significant chunk of UK gold reserves at about US$250 per ounce in 1999 and it was Blair who said in the House of Commons, to justify the sale, that: "if we don't sell the gold and the price continues to go down, then we will lose money".

If you are going to use "if / then" logic, you can literally make a statement to justify anything..... including wars !

Mr. Blair, if you don't sell your London home that you bought for £3.6 million, and the price continues to go down, then you will become ever more reliant on Cherries (spelling?) book sales !

Guest Riser

how can you believe a money man who claims to make a 'miracle' from money ?

worst thing is, hes ruined new labour. before all this in 1997-2001 they seemed to be delivering the goods.

i was really happy with it all. i thought the country felt good. now im as disolusioned as at the height of thatcherism.

This mornings FT reports that the CBI is now calling for Brown to tackle his £10 Billion brown hole. Business may may well prefer Blair to Brown and the war between different supporting factions is likley to tear this government apart unless Blair is out by Christmas.

Once Brown becomes PM, I think the media the will start to focus on Browns economic legacy and more people will see that his economic miracle was built on massive debt and will at last start to question the sustainability of high house prices and perception that prices will always go up.

CBI urges Brown to fix £10bn 'black hole'

Business has put itself on a collision course with government, with the CBI today urging an immediate slowdown in the growth of public expenditure to address a £10bn "black hole" in the public finances that "cannot be ducked for ever".
Edited by Riser

Once Brown becomes PM, I think the media the will start to focus on Browns economic legacy and more people will see that his economic miracle was built on massive debt and will at last start to question the sustainability of high house prices and perception that prices will always go up.

i agree. i think the media will be happier to pick on brown. they like blair still, i think.

i like blair myself. i like(d) new labour up until a couple of years ago. this is browns fault.

he also seems too ambitious. not a good trait i think.

party/citizens first should be the motto.

Gordon Brown's legacy is rising unemployment, record bancrupcies, record debt and relentless business closures. Despite this, he has the brass neck to lecture other Europe countries on economics. It was not enough for him to ruin the economy, he wants to make us a laughing stock as well.

Like RFD, I too think this could be true. Also, I think Blair will stay as PM until (or close to) the next election. At the moment, Brown has a good reputation with the general public (whether he deserves it or not) and the Labour party don't want to potencially ruin that by letting him take the PM's job too soon before the next Election. It is, however, obvious to me that he was 'supposed' to take over sooner, as it hasn't gone unnoticed (by me anyway) that his economic miracle is now beginning to fall apart and the press etc, are beginning to report on it, I suspect this was supposed to happen when someone else had the Chancellorship.

Edited by laughing_goat

Channel 4 Monday 8pm

Gordon Brown is the Prime Minister-in-waiting, heir apparent to Tony Blair. It's a claim founded on the reputation for 'prudence' he's enjoyed as Chancellor. He has been portrayed as an astute and masterly manager of our economy. But there is another side to Brown's economics which reveals a record of costly errors.

Economist Andrew Dilnot looks at where Gordon Brown policies have gone wrong &endash and the consequences for all of us.

Dilnot was centrally involved in the debate about UK economic policy in the early 1990s. By the time Labour were swept into power on a landslide election victory in 1997, Dilnot could already see serious flaws and regarded himself as 'the last sceptic in Britain'.

In the last eight years, Dilnot has seen much of his scepticism proved right, as Brown has steered the British economy from a budget surplus of nearly £20 billion into a budget deficit of over £30 billion. This £50 billion negative swing in our economic fortunes represents a cost of around £1,000 per year for every adult in Britain. And there's worse to come.

Dilnot embarks on a personal journey to uncover the expensive mistakes in Brown's economic policy which have led to failure to transform the health, education and transport systems, inequality going up not down, financial waste and the breaking of Brown's own famous 'Rules'. The consequences of Brown's misjudgements, Dilnot warns, are something we will all ultimately have to pay for.

Guest absolutezero

The programme is interesting but is anyone else feeling sea-sick with the dodgy camera work?

Guest Riser

The programme is interesting but is anyone else feeling sea-sick with the dodgy camera work?

I wouldn't call it interesting I think most people will find it Dull and lacking direction, where is it heading ?

Most will switch off before the end, the commentator is saying Brown spent too little on the health service, and not enough on transport, helped by some poorly scaled meaningless graphs. Balls sounds like the same old slippery slime ball.

The programme is a disappointing mess and a missed opportunity.

Like the rest of the UK, the wife wanted to watch Eastenders, so I missed the first half.

Just as well, it was vague, I couldn't really work out what audience it was aimed at.

Did they mention HPI?

Why bother with Ed Balls?

Ed Balls is like Gordons puppet!! Makes me want to punch his smug face!

....sort of like keith harris and orville aren't they!