House Price Crash Forum
HappierDreams

Your Mortgage Magazine

The latest 'Your Mortgage' magazine comes with a free booklet of house price predictions for the next five years attached to its front. I had a quick flick through it in WH Smith yesterday, expecting it to be an exercise in shamelessly puffing the market

To my surprise it predicted falls of 3-5% next year across pretty much all of the South of England, and then not much in the way of growth after that. Seemed to predict a little growth in the North, but nothing to write home about.

Not that I'd lay much store by the predictions themselves - when they contain figures like 'house prices in Essex will rise 2% in 2009' you know you're in the realms of spurious accuracy (like Phil Spencer's legendary prediction of rises of '79.2%' over the next five years in some godforsaken rathole he was puffing on TV the other day). But seems an extraordinary shift in sentiment in what you would expect to be as vested an interest as you could find.

The latest 'Your Mortgage' magazine comes with a free booklet of house price predictions for the next five years attached to its front. I had a quick flick through it in WH Smith yesterday, expecting it to be an exercise in shamelessly puffing the market

To my surprise it predicted falls of 3-5% next year across pretty much all of the South of England, and then not much in the way of growth after that. Seemed to predict a little growth in the North, but nothing to write home about.

Not that I'd lay much store by the predictions themselves - when they contain figures like 'house prices in Essex will rise 2% in 2009' you know you're in the realms of spurious accuracy (like Phil Spencer's legendary prediction of rises of '79.2%' over the next five years in some godforsaken rathole he was puffing on TV the other day). But seems an extraordinary shift in sentiment in what you would expect to be as vested an interest as you could find.

:):):)

On a cynical view, they realise that predicting large rises will not wash and so they are predicting very small falls that will not spook anyone who really wants to buy their long-term home ...

On a less cynical view, even the people who write for these magazines have realised that the comfy world of unending boom has come to an end, and they are trying to cope with it.

:):):)

The Sunday Express property section today has forecasts for the next year. It seems to be predicting rises of between 5 and 10% for most areas.

Its data seems to come from http://www.propertyforecasts.co.uk/ where you can try your hand at its forecasting of your own PostCode.

Of course this is the Express so anything in the awful rag should be taken with a pinch of salt.

My own forecast for next year is;

Bottom end stable (ish) except for the rubbish which will fall.

Mid tier, some falls of around 5%

Top end, heavier falls of perhaps 10%

Very, very top end, continuing to rise as money is no object for the super rich.

The Sunday Express property section today has forecasts for the next year. It seems to be predicting rises of between 5 and 10% for most areas.

Its data seems to come from http://www.propertyforecasts.co.uk/ where you can try your hand at its forecasting of your own PostCode.

Of course this is the Express so anything in the awful rag should be taken with a pinch of salt.

My own forecast for next year is;

Bottom end stable (ish) except for the rubbish which will fall.

Mid tier, some falls of around 5%

Top end, heavier falls of perhaps 10%

Very, very top end, continuing to rise as money is no object for the super rich.

ILikeBigBoobs - that name is straight to the point. Will you get an avatar worthy of your name?

Er, that site tells me the average price of a semi next year will be £504,532.00 (!!!!) where I live in North London. Seem as though Rightmove is full of semi's at £300-350k which haven't sold in a year, and are currently having £20k+ wiped off their asking prices, I find that a little hard to believe. :D That site is utter, utter rubbish.

Nomadd

I've just tried this with my own postcode. I really dont think that anything has reached the levels predicted for actual 2005, and the trend number is unbelievable.

I'll quite happily challenge one of the bosses of this site to a public debate of their figures, based on the land registry data.