House Price Crash Forum

A (rambling) post on Whitby housing, with a bias to holiday rentals - only because holiday cottages are still making up the majority of transactions.

Another year, another washout.

UK holidays are typically a 2nd holiday.

2nd holidays go out of the window when money's tight esp. when you've had a sh1t summer like 2012 (and 2011, and 2010, and 2009, etc).

One of the funniest conversations I had this year was with a (local) holiday home owner raving about what good value the new all-inc deals to the Costa's that are coming out - 1,200 for 2 weeks (or 10 days) family of four, flights, hotel, booze and food - 2 hour drive to Manchester airport, 90 min flight. Guaranteed sun.

Her rental for the two weeks would cost about £800 for the two weeks. Guaranteed rain. £3/pint, £60 for a cheap meal out for 4.

There was a lightbulb moment when she calculated that the doing the equivalent - make your own breakfast, sandwiches for dinner, out for your tea every other night, 3 bottles of booze and, say, 10 pints a day would be costing well over 2K.

She loved the the free food buffet - 'I didn't lift a finger during the holiday'. I pointed out that if they went self catering then she'd be doing the cooking - this is the North, we don't have Nigel Slaters.

What's changed? Well the holiday rentals business companies are going nuts, nuts on p1ssing away any money that the cottage owner might make.

Holiday rental firms have always been a low cost, owner/operator lady in a spare room with a telephone operation - think Ingrid Flute (as was).

Now two of them have opened up shops/offices -wierdly there's a couple on Skinner Street. Both needing to pay rent + rates, both needing staff, both will be unused from October to April.

The east side harbour has now almost been depleted of locals. Not only were 4 of the 5 houses that slipped down the bank recently holiday lets, the 5 hosues their gardens slid into were holiday lets too! Some of those houses are pretty basic and damp - think hovel. A splash of paint will not make them attractive. Neither will calling them 'Captain's Cottage.' The increase in holiday rentals is starting to have a affect on the local population - the younger generation is being priced out and moving. The noise of holiday rentals are driving away other locals. The area school rolls are down.

Whitby has always had a lot of visitor bedrooms. Previously, this has been mainly B+B/hotels on the West Cliff.

The last 15 years have seen a huge number of smaller cottages being bought by 'investors', increasing supply massively. Demand is falling rapidly.

Years ago - the 70s - before Spain the typical working class Northern family had 2 weeks B+B in a northern resort.

By the late 70s most were flying off to Spain.

In the 80s the B+B started to fill up with DHSS.

In the 90s middle class families started having 2nd (and 3rd) holidays in self-catering cottages.

The 10's will see the B+B's cleared of the dossers - universal credit and workfare will force them to move somewhere with jobs.

The 2nd + 3rd holidays will die a death.

After being expensive, Spain is getting cheaper and more desperate.

Places like Whitby will be stuck with a lot of empty B+Bs, and cottages with a much reduced population.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A (rambling) post on Whitby housing, with a bias to holiday rentals - only because holiday cottages are still making up the majority of transactions.

Another year, another washout.

UK holidays are typically a 2nd holiday.

2nd holidays go out of the window when money's tight esp. when you've had a sh1t summer like 2012 (and 2011, and 2010, and 2009, etc).

One of the funniest conversations I had this year was with a (local) holiday home owner raving about what good value the new all-inc deals to the Costa's that are coming out - 1,200 for 2 weeks (or 10 days) family of four, flights, hotel, booze and food - 2 hour drive to Manchester airport, 90 min flight. Guaranteed sun.

Her rental for the two weeks would cost about £800 for the two weeks. Guaranteed rain. £3/pint, £60 for a cheap meal out for 4.

There was a lightbulb moment when she calculated that the doing the equivalent - make your own breakfast, sandwiches for dinner, out for your tea every other night, 3 bottles of booze and, say, 10 pints a day would be costing well over 2K.

She loved the the free food buffet - 'I didn't lift a finger during the holiday'. I pointed out that if they went self catering then she'd be doing the cooking - this is the North, we don't have Nigel Slaters.

What's changed? Well the holiday rentals business companies are going nuts, nuts on p1ssing away any money that the cottage owner might make.

Holiday rental firms have always been a low cost, owner/operator lady in a spare room with a telephone operation - think Ingrid Flute (as was).

Now two of them have opened up shops/offices -wierdly there's a couple on Skinner Street. Both needing to pay rent + rates, both needing staff, both will be unused from October to April.

The east side harbour has now almost been depleted of locals. Not only were 4 of the 5 houses that slipped down the bank recently holiday lets, the 5 hosues their gardens slid into were holiday lets too! Some of those houses are pretty basic and damp - think hovel. A splash of paint will not make them attractive. Neither will calling them 'Captain's Cottage.' The increase in holiday rentals is starting to have a affect on the local population - the younger generation is being priced out and moving. The noise of holiday rentals are driving away other locals. The area school rolls are down.

Whitby has always had a lot of visitor bedrooms. Previously, this has been mainly B+B/hotels on the West Cliff.

The last 15 years have seen a huge number of smaller cottages being bought by 'investors', increasing supply massively. Demand is falling rapidly.

Years ago - the 70s - before Spain the typical working class Northern family had 2 weeks B+B in a northern resort.

By the late 70s most were flying off to Spain.

In the 80s the B+B started to fill up with DHSS.

In the 90s middle class families started having 2nd (and 3rd) holidays in self-catering cottages.

The 10's will see the B+B's cleared of the dossers - universal credit and workfare will force them to move somewhere with jobs.

The 2nd + 3rd holidays will die a death.

After being expensive, Spain is getting cheaper and more desperate.

Places like Whitby will be stuck with a lot of empty B+Bs, and cottages with a much reduced population.

We've just sorted our hols for 2013. Last year went to Whitby for 2 x 1 week hols in June/Aug (plus 2 weeks Cyprus in April). This year my wife has put her foot down - no overcast chilly days on the beach while I snorkel and bodyboard, we're off to the Algarve in the summer hols for 2 weeks!

Excluding food, Whitby cost £1200 for those 2 weeks last year; taking a big gamble on the weather (won 1, lost 1). Algarve is £1600 (booked flights & apartment separately) for 2 weeks. Weather damn near guaranteed hot n sunny, and what the extra £400 is paying for I suppose.

I like the Whitby area a lot, and will try and get up there for a couple of long camping weekends, at short notice when the weather forecast is good. But the £600+ Astins and the like want for basic flats in the summer school holiday season just ain't worth paying I'm afraid.

We've just sorted our hols for 2013. Last year went to Whitby for 2 x 1 week hols in June/Aug (plus 2 weeks Cyprus in April). This year my wife has put her foot down - no overcast chilly days on the beach while I snorkel and bodyboard, we're off to the Algarve in the summer hols for 2 weeks!

Excluding food, Whitby cost £1200 for those 2 weeks last year; taking a big gamble on the weather (won 1, lost 1). Algarve is £1600 (booked flights & apartment separately) for 2 weeks. Weather damn near guaranteed hot n sunny, and what the extra £400 is paying for I suppose.

I like the Whitby area a lot, and will try and get up there for a couple of long camping weekends, at short notice when the weather forecast is good. But the £600+ Astins and the like want for basic flats in the summer school holiday season just ain't worth paying I'm afraid.

600/week for a flat in Whitby is just too much.

Eddie must have made quite an impression on you ;-)

There does seem to be a mindset of increasing costs and expecting holiday makers to pick up the expense - mortgage on the 2nd home going up, put the rents up. Fancy opening an office to deal with rentals? Put the rent up. The industry is full of f-tards they think Whitby and area is 'special' and people will carry on spending.

By sepcial they mena its not Scarborough - which to be frank., its not.

But then Whitby is not Florida, or Spain or the south of France.

I reality, the squeeze is on.

I'm seeing with the number of voids.

FFs if you are running a B+B or rental and you are not full in August then quit now. You're doomed.

Is the Algarve stay fully inc. ?

I've seen quite of lot deals on the Costa Brava for 10 days, fully inc. for 2 at about 500 each.

Rough a month out of peak - both sides of the summer hols.

I would guess the Algarve place is a villa with a pool too?

Which makes the comparison even worse.

It's a mid market 'holiday village' so that the kid's gets someone to play with (Whitby is rubbish for stuff for young kids to do at night btw, and few flats have wifi), and it does have a pool that's private for the villagers. It's not all inclusive as we like trying new places out, but then again neither would a flat in Whitby, and eating out in English tourist traps is expensive.

Basically, two consecutive lousy summers, and the similarity of the cost between UK holiday lets and southern Europe has prompted our heading off to Portugal. Iberia is pretty cheap flight wise if you book far enough in advance.

Almost on cue - a Yorkshire Post lifestyle mag poof piece:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/indoors/homes/good-prospects-in-whitby-1-5355621

Complete with readers comments. One anti - pricing locals out. Valid IMHO. Second pro - all those jobs for locals working in restaurant. Not really valid IMHO.

As repeated earlier, UK tourism does not generate enough good (or even cr.p) paying jobs.

Toursim is a pin money/extra. It cannot provide an income.

Anyhow, she bought in Dec 2009.

Quick google shows this is 2 Morrisons Yard:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/2-morrisons-yard/brunswick-street/whitby/yo21-1rd/26510964

Hats off to the person who bought for 46K in 97 and sold it to her.

No sniggering at the back for the featured woman who paid 167K for it Dec 09.

FFing nut. A quick like at the transaction figures for the whole borough show tranaction fell off a cliff from 2006 and have not shown any sign of recovery.

Lets have a look at the blurb:

http://www.yorkshirecoastalcottages.com/search/property/rooftops_cottage

She's certainly gone to town on the decor.

I recknos she's spent about 30K+ on the refit. Using a lot of her and family free labour.

Also bare in mind she lives south of Doncaster, a good 2h+ drive away.

'While some holiday homes lie empty for weeks on end, Kate and her family have made the most of their cottage, spending holidays and three out of four weekends there. They have seen Whitby evolve since they discovered it 10 years ago. Alongside old favourites like Bothams bakers, there are new restaurants and a champagne bar.'

She claims the refit took 6 months. That takes you thru to summer 10.

They've had a single summer when they've not had to do any building work.

Lets have a look at the availability:

1 week in March.

2 weeks in June

1 week in July!!!!

All of August.

1 weekend in Sep.

And a weekend in Dec.

Wow!

'The couple have also fallen in love with another property, although they can’t bear to part with their cottage, which is why they are renting it as a five-star holiday let.'

I cannot remember being in any Morrison yard house. Its behind Baxtergate. If you stand with your back to Boothams you ought to see the decking/roof thing.

Onething to note about most houses in yards is that they are very dark and if not physically damp they DO feel very damp.

Yard houses tend to get very limited sun light.

I should add that the agent will be taking 25% upwards of the money.

Even if you assume a IO mortgage of 160K @ 5% thats 8K IR per year for the finance alone!

There are a load of flats being touted as holiday apartments next to the tidal mudflats underneath the A171 flyover. They look like they're about a 1 mile foot-slog into Whitby proper (I should write ad copy for estate agents!). Zoopla says 2 bed flats in places places like Richardson Court, Whitehall Landing go for about £160-170k, but are gently declining in value, e.g. down 1 - 2% last year. Looks like they went for about £180k at the peak in 2008. I wonder how many anxious sellers there are out on the fringes of Whitby?

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be a cottage owner in Whitby and sold it last year for a profit having bought it peak price, our cottage had good views and was always in demand the rentals were really strong, my advice if going for a rental is go for a good view or on the harbour, something that stands out as you have a lot of competition at the normal 120k cottage in a back alley/ yard, we only had one cottage but had to turn lots of bookings away.

The first year used a holiday company in the main st who charged 20% we could not understand why there was not many bookings when our cottage was one of the decent ones then we sussed out they owned lots of the cottages themselves so were letting there own first and we were pushed out the back. Just be careful as it happens in Whitby a lot.

We then used the 2 main holiday websites and then sent paypal invoices for bookings really simple and worked well.

If i was younger i would have bought a few more as the place is really going up market and the demand is strong. You need to know where the demand is so do your homework if thinking of purchasing. We were getting more and more bookings every year. We used the cottage ourselves not very often as most of the main holidays were always busy and we were very busy off season for weekends. We do miss the cottage but have now purchased abroad to spend 6 months of the year away in the sun.

If you want a few holidays and a reasonable return just be careful of the land slips i think all of whitby has always had slight movement even in our cottage a few small cracks appeared but adds to the charm of the place !

• 2 months later...

Hi, first time post but longtime lurker. I will post an introduction in the appropriate thread later. However, I could not contain myself here and wondered whether the 'something very serious' had to do with the demise of a prominent Whitby business man this weekend?

To add my own view on the Whitby property market, I now live away due to work, but everytime I go home, I think WTF when I catch the local property prices. A case in point are the three Georgian cottages currently for sale on Cliff Street. My mam's auntie lived in one of these and it would be fair to say it was a hovel. No bathroom, outside toilet. It has been updated, but come on, nearly half a mil, in Whitby with no parking and more importantly, very few jobs above minimum wage, zero hour contracts.

Do tell!

Hi, first time post but longtime lurker.

I'll split my response into 2 parts.

Yes, you're right. I'm not going into details as at its not official and is a bit sensitive for his surviving family.

I know what happened. I do not not know why it happened. I'm guessing money - or lack off.

But the man involved was very much the main 'Whitby property as a means to money and success'.

With the Whitehall project and the holiday cottage and EA business there will be a large amount of disruption.

It does illustrate what I've been banging on about for the last few years - You cannot make money in Whitby with property. Too low wages; demand for holiday cottages is too cyclical and, now, there is just too much competition.

A case in point are the three Georgian cottages currently for sale on Cliff Street.

You a Weatherill? Maybe not, they are the people letting them out. Mount Galleries ring a bell.

I'm pretty sure I know which cottages you mean - 3 in a row, Khyber Pass end of Cliff Street?

I saw these a few months ago. Curious - originally I thought they were houses that had been bought in a 2005-ish frenzy.

But then I checked the interweb and I could not see any history i.e no ownership change for at least 20 years.

I then assumed they were family hierloom houses.

But then all three have been major interior refits.

The 3rd cottage they claim is new to 2010.

Which begs the question - Did they have a little old lady sitting tenant who recently died?

I don't think they'll sell for anywhere near those prices.

They are being too greedy and too late.

Let mosy people in the area, they should have flogged then before 2007.

Oh, I work away too.

Its a curse to the local area.

I'll split my response into 2 parts.

Yes, you're right. I'm not going into details as at its not official and is a bit sensitive for his surviving family.

I know what happened. I do not not know why it happened. I'm guessing money - or lack off.

But the man involved was very much the main 'Whitby property as a means to money and success'.

With the Whitehall project and the holiday cottage and EA business there will be a large amount of disruption.

It does illustrate what I've been banging on about for the last few years - You cannot make money in Whitby with property. Too low wages; demand for holiday cottages is too cyclical and, now, there is just too much competition.

Thanks for the reply Spyguy. Get your point about sensitivities, all very sad. If you are right and it is/was about money or lack there of, given that this was a large, esablished firm, focussed on the only real "industry" left in Whitby, it has potentially huge implications for others attempting to turn buying and selling homes into a business.

I totally agree with your point about not being able to make money in whitby from property, but many seem to be doing so. I was just thinking at the weekend, being back home, where is all the money for all these new cars coming from? I don't think I saw an old car at all!

You a Weatherill? Maybe not, they are the people letting them out. Mount Galleries ring a bell.

I'm pretty sure I know which cottages you mean - 3 in a row, Khyber Pass end of Cliff Street?

I saw these a few months ago. Curious - originally I thought they were houses that had been bought in a 2005-ish frenzy.

But then I checked the interweb and I could not see any history i.e no ownership change for at least 20 years.

I then assumed they were family hierloom houses.

But then all three have been major interior refits.

The 3rd cottage they claim is new to 2010.

Which begs the question - Did they have a little old lady sitting tenant who recently died?

I don't think they'll sell for anywhere near those prices.

They are being too greedy and too late.

Let mosy people in the area, they should have flogged then before 2007.

Oh, I work away too.

Its a curse to the local area.

No, not a Weatherill. Yes, these are the ones, at the top of Pier Lane. A bit of background on these properties (or at least some of them), gleaned from family conversations. They were at one point 'family hierlooms' in that in the dim and distant past (probably around 50s or 60s or even earlier) they were handed down, but then sold as there were numerous inheritors. My great auntie secured a tennancy and lived there until some time in the 80s when she moved into council elderly accomodation. So, and am only guessing here, they may well have been held by these original buyers for some good time - even to date.

Yes, they will not sell for anywhere near that price, but I've noticed that properties coming on lately are for ever greater inflated, kite-flying prices and then just hang around or get rinsed and repeated. A house down the road from my mam's is up for sale and no interest, but they are leaving on at the price, even though the estate agent suggested a reduction, as they "are in no hurry to sell". Oh and it is an inheritence - empty!

Did you have to go far from the town to work? And, do you have your picture of the Abbey and ball of string lol?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Spyguy. Get your point about sensitivities, all very sad. If you are right and it is/was about money or lack there of, given that this was a large, esablished firm, focussed on the only real "industry" left in Whitby, it has potentially huge implications for others attempting to turn buying and selling homes into a business.

I totally agree with your point about not being able to make money in whitby from property, but many seem to be doing so. I was just thinking at the weekend, being back home, where is all the money for all these new cars coming from? I don't think I saw an old car at all!

No new news on the bloke. He was buried the other day. I don't doubt he's left a massive fianancial hole in various places. Time will tell on this.

As far as new cars - same as everywhere else Motability (a large percentage of the area issigned off on the sikc) and finance - pay £200/month for xxx (balance of 6K remaining to be paid after 3 years).

No, not a Weatherill. Yes, these are the ones, at the top of Pier Lane. A bit of background on these properties (or at least some of them), gleaned from family conversations. They were at one point 'family hierlooms' in that in the dim and distant past (probably around 50s or 60s or even earlier) they were handed down, but then sold as there were numerous inheritors. My great auntie secured a tennancy and lived there until some time in the 80s when she moved into council elderly accomodation. So, and am only guessing here, they may well have been held by these original buyers for some good time - even to date.

Yes, they will not sell for anywhere near that price, but I've noticed that properties coming on lately are for ever greater inflated, kite-flying prices and then just hang around or get rinsed and repeated. A house down the road from my mam's is up for sale and no interest, but they are leaving on at the price, even though the estate agent suggested a reduction, as they "are in no hurry to sell". Oh and it is an inheritence - empty!

Did you have to go far from the town to work? And, do you have your picture of the Abbey and ball of string lol?

Yep the Cliff Street houses stand out like a sore thumb - or a business that's not washing its face.

I found this when I was googling:

http://37cliffstreetwhitby.co.uk/prices-availability/

This is definitely a 'family owned business'. The off-peak week prices are probably cheaper than a mortgage!

Things to note:

- They price very low. The off-peak prices are cheaper than a mortgage or rent for a week!

- They are smart enough to not use the agencies - 25% of your money for putting up and colour photo and answering the phone.

- They are low cost - minimal clutter; bedding is extra.

- They are fully booked.

Compare this with my earlier post of the YP featured woman: paid more than top dollar, fills the house with over priced tat, uses an agency, prices too high, still not fully booked.

The fundamental problem the YP woman has is that people use a holiday home for sleeping, cooking and washing.

They don't really care about the tat.

Then we come to a problem about exiting your business.

How do you come up with a price?

Are you selling the place for someone to live in?

If so then it has to be someone retiring and bringing their money with them - vary rare in Whitby - too cold, too hilly, too far away from stuff.

Or a local - then it has to be a multiple for wages.

Talk of 3.5 wages = 3 bed room house does not apply in Whitby.

Years ago, I knew an old BS manager. He told me that they would only lend a max of 2.5/single wage to the Whitby area as a lot of work was seasonal and the non-seasonal work was so limited that the risk of someone losing a job and not being to find a new one was too high.

But this was the early 80s when things were less 'dynamic'.

The chat was due to my Dad and his work mates from Stainesacre were having trouble getting mortgages when working at Plaxtons.

I was only about 12 at the times but I was being used to work out the finance and t+cs for them - in Whitby the man who can do percentages is King!

Or you could sell the business as a going concern.

Cough cough.

There's a B+B I know thats listed on one of the business for sales website for 600K.

They state a gross profit of 18K. You need to take 2 peoples wages and any finance from that.

Nuts!

This is why a quick check on rightmove and business for sales shows loads.

Take the obnoxious truck driver representing Scabby on Three in a bed:

http://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/business/guests-distraught-over-selling-hotel-1-4299920

Bought in 2004

Up for sale Mar 2012 @ 550K. (That's 8 years trading, which is about average).

They claim a 'trading profit' of 90K.

These figures tend to be simple revenue minus costs with no account for owners wages.

Price now 490K.

Now if the place did return a 90K profit then i'd buy it tomorrow and staff it with Poles. 20% yield woohoo!

You think its hard selling a residential house in Whitby? Try selling a business.

Witness the sage of the White Horse + Griffin.

Or the ongoing saga of The Ellerby Hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, first time post but longtime lurker. I will post an introduction in the appropriate thread later. However, I could not contain myself here and wondered whether the 'something very serious' had to do with the demise of a prominent Whitby business man this weekend?

To add my own view on the Whitby property market, I now live away due to work, but everytime I go home, I think WTF when I catch the local property prices. A case in point are the three Georgian cottages currently for sale on Cliff Street. My mam's auntie lived in one of these and it would be fair to say it was a hovel. No bathroom, outside toilet. It has been updated, but come on, nearly half a mil, in Whitby with no parking and more importantly, very few jobs above minimum wage, zero hour contracts.

Do tell!

I was looking at their website - mainly to see if they've kept up with the hosting fees.

The obviously don;t know how to maintain it.

One bit hasthe bloke still living.

The Our People section has been turned into a cut+paste obit.

There's a very strange last few lines:

'xxx had a true passion for the town in which he lived, worked and played, with a supportive family and dedicated staff behind him. xxx's involvement in the regeneration will continue as demand for the limited amount of property with which Whitby is endowed will return strongly and sooner than many think.'

I don't get the regeneration bit. Flogging off the Eastside + west cliff and building a load of cr.ppy new builds flats and god-awful tiny cottages opposite is a long way from regeneration.

Whitby is a small town. It has limited property in that sense.

It does not have a limited amount for sale - the percentage up for sale is pretty high >15%.

Return strongly + sooner.

B.lls - The majority of visitors out + about in Whitby either depend on benefits or working for the public sector.

xxx's involvement in the regeneration will continue as demand for the limited amount of property with which Whitby is endowed will return strongly and sooner than many think.'

What a weird sentence - it doesn't make sense. The last bit "will return strongly and sooner than many people think" smacks of desperate delusional thinking. It seems from this that there are conversations going on amongst the 'property owners' (overstretched?) of Whitby about how bad things are and that it must return to 'normal'. Who do they think will buy these properties? The only way that money could be made on the current prices is through house price rises, as renting would not be able to bring in an income to cover the initial purchase price, and I don't see that happening soon. It ain't going to come from locals on minimum wage seasonal jobs. Perhaps they think that the new potash mine will save them all and create full employment with highly paid jobs for everyone lol.

It does not have a limited amount for sale - the percentage up for sale is pretty high >15%.

Is this figure right? Wow, just wow. If more than 15% of Whitby properties are for sale, how long would it take to return to mean, so that those putting a property on the market will have a realistic expectation of it selling?

15% is a bit of a guestimate by doing righmove searches and just counting the For Sale signs as I walk about and remembering places that were up for sale but did not transact

15% is about 1/7 houses up for sale. I could accept the figure is 1/10. I doubt its less than that.

I found the sentence a weird thing to say too.

Why admit things are less than rosy when you've spent the last 15 years boosting the town and its investment potential.

I can only assume they spend their days on the phone to irate OO sellers and holiday cottages owners asking why there's no buyers or why no one wants to let a 2 bedroom cottage for £1000/week.

I should add that my only face-to-face experience with the bloke was getting dragged into his office by a mate who'd been trying to flog his flat on Hudson Street.

This was 93/94. There was such a large number up for sale that the great man was only sending round to his favoured few and shoving my mates place at the back of the queue.

My mate found out about this as he second cousin's kid was working as an office junior or something and had overheard him say this.

Whitby was still that kind of place back then - about 70% of the population had family connection to another - blood or marriage.

• 4 weeks later...

Well anecdotal update of 2013.

A friend overheard someone who works at one of the Whitby cottage booking companies - Ill spare their job (for now) by not mentioning which one.

Apparently they've only managed to let 50% of their cottages for August!

Too many. Too expensive.

Edited by spyguy

A friend overheard someone who works at one of the Whitby cottage booking companies - Ill spare their job (for now) by not mentioning which one.

Too many. Too expensive.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the town has been turned into a theme park. No real jobs left, such as fishing or the bus loads of folk who used to be bused to boro to work in steel and shipbuilding. The only thing left keeping the town afloat (other than state handouts) is tourism. The town seems as busy as ever, but will report back on this after regatta. So if folk aren't staying in holiday cottages, must be day trippers. Does not bode well for those who have piled into holiday lets or the new posh eateries. These I won't use as far too pricey.

• 4 weeks later...

Too many. Too expensive.

We're on about trying a week in Whitby next year (we gave it a miss this year).

Just out of interest, do you know anywhere that lists holiday lets in and around Whitby other than the likes of Astins? They sort of give the impression that they've got the local market sown up, but there must be shed loads of private rentals that don't want to pay agency fees. Googling them seems pretty hit n miss.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the town has been turned into a theme park. No real jobs left, such as fishing or the bus loads of folk who used to be bused to boro to work in steel and shipbuilding. The only thing left keeping the town afloat (other than state handouts) is tourism. The town seems as busy as ever, but will report back on this after regatta. So if folk aren't staying in holiday cottages, must be day trippers. Does not bode well for those who have piled into holiday lets or the new posh eateries. These I won't use as far too pricey.

Agree. Whitby still had a working port up until the COOP was built (88ish).

Apart from the dire holiday stats for the first decent summer in almost 10 years, you have to add a now very noticable drop in population.

The census is showing the population has dropped over the last 10 years. Amazing when you consider the number of new build - Whitehall etc - in the last 10 years.

A few of the Esk valley primaries have closed and been consolidated - Grosmont -> Egton.

My mum claims - and I have to take this as dubious as she's not good on facts - that Eskdale is down to less than 300 kids.

From memory, both Eskdale and Caedmon have had about 500 kids, feeding into about 1,000 at Whitby School.

I know there are trying to work out some form of sharing between the 3 schools but on the current numbers you could get all 3 into the Whitby site now.

Question for one-percent:

Do you know anything about this place:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26890131.html

I've always like the place but I know nothing about its history or owners.

The Pink! The Pink!!

It looks empty. The furniture in it looks like the placed has been dressed.

The garden looks at bit unkempt too.