House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
five alive

Are There Enough Potential Renters?

At what time do you feel that there will be such a saturation of propertys to rent that the rental yields will start to collapse?Where i live there are so many to let signs that i cant see where all the tenants are going to come from,i have rented for many years so am aware of how many rental properties were available in the past that figure has now trebled/quadrupled.Whilst appreciating that houses have got out of so many peoples reach forcing people to rent rather than buy i still dont see that has created enough demand to fill rentals,also there is not enough net immigration to tip the balance in favour of landlords.Maybe it is another new paragram(sic) not only in house prices but in filling rentals?are there figures available that would show how many places there are to rent?if so surely they would reflect the current demand and either show a healthy market or one that will soon reach saturation point.

At what time do you feel that there will be such a saturation of propertys to rent that the rental yields will start to collapse?Where i live there are so many to let signs that i cant see where all the tenants are going to come from,i have rented for many years so am aware of how many rental properties were available in the past that figure has now trebled/quadrupled.Whilst appreciating that houses have got out of so many peoples reach forcing people to rent rather than buy i still dont see that has created enough demand to fill rentals,also there is not enough net immigration to tip the balance in favour of landlords.Maybe it is another new paragram(sic) not only in house prices but in filling rentals?are there figures available that would show how many places there are to rent?if so surely they would reflect the current demand and either show a healthy market or one that will soon reach saturation point.

:):):)

1. There are some statistics on the PUBLIC rented sector on the Housing Corporation site. There some statistics on the PRIVATE rented sector on the ARLA website. The official statistics are a bit slow to come through but on the ODPM website they cover both public and private rented sectors. Also quite a lot on the websites of the posher chartered surveyors but mainly aimed at convincing you to invest. See links page on this website.

2. The rental market is not homogenous. There are lost of people who rent, for differing reasons. It is not one market but many fragmented ones. So "saturation" might happen in one market an not others. For instance, at the moment there are too many posh, two-bed flats in Chelsea chasing too few executives and bankers on secondment to London, and a lot of landlords in that market are losing money. By contrast, in many market towns it is very difficult to find a nice family house to rent.

3. All rental markets are elastic. If the price goes down, more people will choose to rent rather than committing themselves to a mortgage, and more people will take the plunge and rent a flat instead of going on living at home.

:):):)

ditto:

north west area is dire for rentals at the moment. lots of dead property and landlords that call after 3 months to offer even more desperate reductions on unlet property. its a tenants market right now. can see any more scope for btl up here. there simply isnt the numbers of people required needing homes.

rents went up last year like the btls decided to have a party, but market forces are not playing the game.

result: lots of desperado landlords about and lots and lots of empty lots for months and months.

and more being built.....