House Price Crash Forum

Christmas Bonus Time - Poll

Lion

HOLA441

Christmas bonus payments are not only an indication of how well companies are doing but also how they see their future. Are the bonuses back at the levels seen a few years ago?

This seems to be the case in my company - my company usually pays good bonuses to all staff and they are at record levels this year. In my case about 1.5 times of one monthly salary (in manufacturing).

My wife got about one monthly salary (also in manufacturing).

It would be interesting to know:

- How much bonus did you get (in relation to an average monthly salary)

- Was it more than the average bonus over the last few years?

- What industry are you in?

Edited by Lion

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I got the bonus all year of working for myself and not an employer.Average hours 18 a week,average fishing trips 2 a week,average time getting out of bed 8.45am.

Its xmas bonus every day and much better than my last employer who handed out peoples notice a week before xmas and xmas eve was their last shift.

HOLA448

we had no Bonus all year, they said it was ot allow a share incentive scheme, where the employees would own collectivly 35% of the company, then later in the year they pulled it, as the company's share price got close to the "discounted" price.

we got told we would get £25 per person (employees only) for a xmas do, then they decided to pull the funding totally, and we have had to pay ourselves.

i got told that im going down to a 4 day working week on 1st January, and i probably wont have a job after 31st March, nor about 50% of my office.

so, forgive me if i am a little hostile to your opening post.

Can't i just post a picture of my co(k and we skip the introductions?

Heres mine

2505_2011061952.jpg

HOLA449

Never had a bonus, even at Xmas.

Scientist for 26 years, never sought or held a permanent position.

Never given a bonus and wouldn't do so. I look after people who work for me though by making sure they enjoy coming to work and that they see every day is a better day.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

we had no Bonus all year, they said it was ot allow a share incentive scheme, where the employees would own collectivly 35% of the company, then later in the year they pulled it, as the company's share price got close to the "discounted" price.

we got told we would get £25 per person (employees only) for a xmas do, then they decided to pull the funding totally, and we have had to pay ourselves.

i got told that im going down to a 4 day working week on 1st January, and i probably wont have a job after 31st March, nor about 50% of my office.

so, forgive me if i am a little hostile to your opening post.

Heres mine

2505_2011061952.jpg

I did not intend to brag with my opening post, it was a serious question. Also, in London where we live our family income will just allow us to live a "normal" live in a reasonably nice area, without luxury, as I have pointed out in numerous previous posts. We are by far not wealthy.

In any case, it seems to be that my company treats their employees much better than most companies, unless employees who get reasonable bonuses are underrepresented on this forum. (I think anything above 50% of a monthly salary is reasonable, otherwise the company is mean or broke).

I would also like to add that bonuses per se are not bad as it gives companies the possibility to remunerate employees in line with the company's performance. The individual's performance has als an influence, but this is more difficult to measure fairly. Typically the total bonus pool in our company is a reflection of the profits and bonuses are distributed as a percentage of the employee's salaries, with slight adjustments for personal performance and future expectations of the business. Therefore bonuses are a direct indicator of our profitability. This may not be the case in all industries.

HOLA4412

Can't i just post a picture of my co(k and we skip the introductions?

Have you met Mike Livingstone? You 2 would get on well.

I did not intend to brag with my opening post, it was a serious question. I did also not expect that mentioning my bonus would look like bragging or offend some. The destructive bankers' bonuses had (and still have) a few zeros more, so my bonus is nothing to get too excited about. ;-)

But I agree, a standard poll would have been better (with various answers to tick), without mentioning my bonus.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

We are by far not wealthy.

As a director of a 'medium manufacturing company' you are probably not at the filthy stinking rich end of the spectrum. :lol:

However to come on a public forum indicating that you earn £7-£8K a month with a 5 figure christmas bonus and do not call yourself particularly wealthy shows that you are naive, out of touch, or both.

I don't begrudge you the money. You probably earn it and are in an honest endeavor and, let's face it, £7.5K a month isn't a huge amount to live on in Teddington or Kensington. However I hope that most of your manufacturing is for export because there is a total sh1tstorm brewing here in the UK. :unsure:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I wonder what his company makes... riot gear for plod?

Software engineer in a small, family-owned firm just outside of London. I got a £500 bonus this year (it's been either £500 or nothing in the recession years, although my first bonus was £1000). I also got a salary increase in September which was nice (£28-32k).

HOLA4420

Never had a bonus, even at Xmas.

Scientist for 26 years, never sought or held a permanent position.

Never given a bonus and wouldn't do so. I look after people who work for me though by making sure they enjoy coming to work and that they see every day is a better day.

Do you not believe that a bonus is one way of ensuring people enjoy coming to work?

I worked for four years in a research center as a PhD scientist, and they paid annual financial awards (mainly for scientists who were able to attract significant fundings or made high profile publications), which were a bit like bonuses. Some groups made successful proposals worth millions of fundings over several years, and it was only fair that they also got a financial appreciation from the organisation. Good was that the bonus was paid for the whole team involved in the success, not only for individuals. Less good was that they introduced weird criteria - one was even for the person with the tidiest work area (the bonus for that was 3 small gold coins, if I remember correctly - this was when gold was far cheaper).

Edited by Lion

HOLA4421

Software engineer in a small, family-owned firm just outside of London. I got a £500 bonus this year (it's been either £500 or nothing in the recession years, although my first bonus was £1000). I also got a salary increase in September which was nice (£28-32k).

Sorry DEATH that wasn't meant to be a reply to your post :)

HOLA4422

I wonder what his company makes... riot gear for plod?

Mainly parts out of plastic and composites for aerospace, defence and oil installations. no riot gear yet ;-).

Manufacturing is not yet dead in the UK, some smaller and medium companies like our company are doing fine. Most of our UK suppliers are small and medium firms, and most are extremely busy.

Edited by Lion

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Its even better when they give you a decent pay packet every month, screw bonuses, give me the rise.

This is also what I thought - a bonus is paid once a year, a pay review is usually also done once a year - why not combine the two? However, in our company the bonuses are given in December, and the standard pay rises are given in June, so there is an opportunity for improvement every ~6 months - which should at least theoretically be better for motivation than (at most) an annual improvement of one's financial situation.

Edited by Lion

HOLA4425
Guest TheBlueCat

Do you not believe that a bonus is one way of ensuring people enjoy coming to work?

I'm not actually so sure. I work for a company that pays bonuses and I like the money as much as the next person but, overall, I don't know that it makes any difference to people's chances of job satisfaction. My organisation doesn't write software as a business so maybe it's a bit different, but I think Joel Spolsky may be on to something with this one:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000070.html

(the bonus for that was 3 small gold coins, if I remember correctly - this was when gold was far cheaper).

Hope they remembered to pay employers' NI on that - some of the big IBs used the paying people bonuses in gold loophole until it was shut down in the 90s sometime.