House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest muttley

Tenants From Hell

Guest muttley

I bought my first business in 1989 (Including property) The upstairs was derelict and the previous owner pointed out the potential to turn it into a 2 bed flat (cost approx 20k)

I didn't fancy it,partly cos I didn't have 20k (all my money had been ploughed into the business) but partly cos I didn't want to be a landlord.

A friend of mine tried to convince me to have the conversion done,as he had two such flats,and it was "easy money",and I should do it at the earliest opportunity.

Within 6 months both his flats had given him a lot of grief.

The first sign of a problem came when one of his mates from a squash club asked him if he realised that one of his flats was being used as a "knocking shop" (his mates words).The police did. He was told he could be charged with "living on immoral earnings" if he didn't "close down" said knocking shop!! His shop was photographed in the local press.Not great for business!!

He let out his other flat about the same time to a group of lads with references who,nevertheless, didn't pay rent from the day they arrived.The other local family businesses in the street were owner/occupiers and a 6 month feud began,ending in a fist fight between yobs and other retailers.

Needless to say,when they were finally evicted they had trashed the place...carpets,walls,kitchen,bathrooms the lot.Very expensive,not to mention the loss of goodwill from locals and local businesses.

Now I know there's money to be made in BTL,but if you say its plain sailing then you're not telling the whole truth .It has it's downside like any business.

Of course making money in a rising market is easy...maybe I should have taken my friends advice.

But in a falling market? When you can't be TOO picky about your tenants...???

--------------------

I bought my first business in 1989 (Including property) The upstairs was derelict and the previous owner pointed out the potential to turn it into a 2 bed flat (cost approx 20k)

I didn't fancy it,partly cos I didn't have 20k (all my money had been ploughed into the business) but partly cos I didn't want to be a landlord.

A friend of mine tried to convince me to have the conversion done,as he had two such flats,and it was "easy money",and I should do it at the earliest opportunity.

Within 6 months both his flats had given him a lot of grief.

The first sign of a problem came when one of his mates from a squash club asked him if he realised that one of his flats was being used as a "knocking shop" (his mates words).The police did. He was told he could be charged with "living on immoral earnings" if he didn't "close down" said knocking shop!! His shop was photographed in the local press.Not great for business!!

He let out his other flat about the same time to a group of lads with references who,nevertheless, didn't pay rent from the day they arrived.The other local family businesses in the street were owner/occupiers and a 6 month feud began,ending in a fist fight between yobs and other retailers.

Needless to say,when they were finally evicted they had trashed the place...carpets,walls,kitchen,bathrooms the lot.Very expensive,not to mention the loss of goodwill from locals and local businesses.

Now I know there's money to be made in BTL,but if you say its plain sailing then you're not telling the whole truth .It has it's downside like any business.

Of course making money in a rising market is easy...maybe I should have taken my friends advice.

But in a falling market? When you can't be TOO picky about your tenants...???

--------------------

Just don't tell him where I've moved to! I'm sorry about the bathroom, but it was purple FFS!

Buy to let’ers are having it easy at the moment – all there property’s are full of us very nice STR’ers .

I pay my rent on time clean the house and even look after the garden as well as keeping my eye on the new build they are having made in the extra bit of land.

When house prices crash and we all buy they will be back to renting to the people who don’t own a property because they have to keep moving to stay ahead of the bad debts and trouble.

I knew a guy who rented and he superglued the pots and pans to the ceiling.

That's not vey imaginative. If ever there was trouble with the deposite when I was a student I used to remove a couple of supporting walls. The look on there face. Priceless.

PS Pay in cash and never use you're own name. First an second rules of renting.

Edited by jellybean

That's not vey imaginative. If ever there was trouble with the deposite when I was a student I used to remove a couple of supporting walls. The look on there face. Priceless.

PS Pay in cash and never use you're own name. First an second rules of renting.

The look on there face. Priceless.

Are you saying you were stood in the property with the owner when they first saw your demolition?

Was that wise?

Also, deposit disputes don't kick off until you are already out of the property.

Why don't I believe you?

I knew a guy who rented and he superglued the pots and pans to the ceiling.

There were some tenants from hell not far from where I live.

They never paid any rent after moving in and it took the landlord months to get them out.

When they left they removed all the kitchen units, they stole all the radiators by cutting them from the walls with bolt croppers on the pipes. They stole everything that would fetch money at a boot sale right down to the electrical sockets and doorhandles and lightswitches.

Anything left behind was methodically trashed.

Not nice...

Anyone else seen the movie "Pacific Heights" BTW?

I had a dispute in my student digs, we had loads of problems:

-House wasn't cleaned in the first place.

-Never provided a gas certificate on the property.

-There was a live cable on the wall in my mates room, (very high up as I couldn't reach it) and my mate touched it one day (don't know why he did ???) - nearly killed him, and went to hospital.

-The washing machine broke, took 10 weeks to get a new one!

-Damp, damp and more damp.

So, when I left (which was 5weeks before the end of the contract) I only partially paid my last installment, minus my deposit. He threatend to kill me! LOL.

-After leaving I got a letter from the council, and the land lord had forged my signature to get out of paying council tax for his brother!

I so had the last laugh! Bloody land lord!

On the issue of tenants - one way to cut BTL would be for tenants to be given back similar rights then had under the Rent Act 1977 - ie. protection against being evicted except for limited reasons - eg. rent arrears, breach of term of contract etc. In this way BTL landlords would think twice if they knew their tenants could be for life (not just until Christmas). This was why Rachman (know him) had to use "force" to require his tenants to leave - he just simply couldn't rely on accelerated possession proceedings.

Just a thought.

i reckon a good percentage of the BTL brigade never wanted or got tenents at all, they just left the houses sitting hoping on the 20% per year property price rises and sold on.I think there are loads that made there money just like this.Everywhere i look there are empty properties, when the crash realy kicks off lots more property will then come back on the market to rent, suppresing rents even further as landlords not making capital gains deciede to rent the houses out instead.

This is the tradgedy this housing boom, houses have become commodities like an antique painting put in storage till the price rises.

Most of the landlords aint landlords at all there just investors, usually about 50 something useing a empty property as there pension they have no intention of letting it out, they wouldnt be able to handle the hassle and the worry of someone wrecking the place keeps them from renting it out.

Guest muttley

They never paid any rent after moving in and it took the landlord months to get them out.

How long does it take to evict someone like this?

Anyone else seen the movie "Pacific Heights" BTW?

...with Michael Keaton.

I bet they don't show this movie on Inside Track seminars!