House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nodumsunreader

The Real Purpose Of This Site

For some time I have felt that the real purpose of this site was not only to try to balance the views on the housing market from the perspective of the FTB (or should I say would be FTB), but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur. Recent threads seem to confirm this. I have no problem with this but a bit of honesty wouldn't go astray. Nothing at all wrong with representing the interests of people with a vested interest in house prices falling (yes VI's exist on both sides of the equation), however, all those calling for and trying to create a HPC need to bear in mind the implications to the economy and their job prospects of this. I've heard of people talking down the market by 60%. If this were to happen, do you really believe you would have the income to buy, even at the lower level? The chances are that most of you would become unemployed for a very long time - most of the cheap properties would be snapped up by foreign investors who would gladly prey on a much weakened UK economy - as the British have done overseas in recent years and we would then be back where we started.

Guest muttley

but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur.

Can we do that?

Cool. B)

For some time I have felt that the real purpose of this site was not only to try to balance the views on the housing market from the perspective of the FTB (or should I say would be FTB), but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur. Recent threads seem to confirm this. I have no problem with this but a bit of honesty wouldn't go astray. Nothing at all wrong with representing the interests of people with a vested interest in house prices falling (yes VI's exist on both sides of the equation), however, all those calling for and trying to create a HPC need to bear in mind the implications to the economy and their job prospects of this. I've heard of people talking down the market by 60%. If this were to happen, do you really believe you would have the income to buy, even at the lower level? The chances are that most of you would become unemployed for a very long time - most of the cheap properties would be snapped up by foreign investors who would gladly prey on a much weakened UK economy - as the British have done overseas in recent years and we would then be back where we started.

The power to create a crash where there wouldnt be one? wahhh.

You do seem to hint at something half sensible, the fact that the economy is intrinsically tied to the housing market and that alot of people will lose thier jobs when the HPC/Recession hits, people always do. Personally im not fussed, i can see it comming so i have put myself into a position where it would have little to no effect on me. So a crash of 60% or even more would be most welcome by me.

EDITED:

More accuratly i have not put myself into a position where it would be of any concern to me, the food is poisend and im not that hungry anyways.

Edited by theChuz

most of the cheap properties would be snapped up by foreign investors who would gladly prey on a much weakened UK economy.

I think you'll find it has been the jobs that have been snapped up by foreigners thanks to a much competitively weakend UK economy thanks to the housing bubble.

The bubble has also attracted a lot of foreign investment, Greenspan and co created the wall of money, it seeped into the foundations of the UK economy via housing.

Guest Bart of Darkness
to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur

But haven't you said previously that NuLabour would not allow a crash?

HPC.co.uk versus NuLabour, what a clash of the Titans.

In answer to your question, yes we do have the power to bring about a crash. We haven't done it yet because we can't agree about the timing. Dr. Bubb wants to get Christmas out of the way first, Right_Fred's_Dead has booked his holidays already and wants to wait until after then, while The Chuz thinks we should wait until after his birthday.

Once we've all agreed on the timing, a special signal will emerge from HPC.co.uk HQ which will take control of strategically placed orbital satellite weapons. These will feed useless and contradictory data to the various stock markets of the world, causing a worldwide financial meltdown.

Only those in possession of large amounts of gold will not be reduced to paupers. Gold experts cgnao and Durch have been placed in charge of our gold supplies. Once the dust has settled, a new order will emerge in the world. BTL's and property developers will be imprisoned in special "shoebox" sized cells, property bulls will be forced to watch endless "Location, Location, Location" repeats until they beg for mercy and Gordon Brown will be forced to take an Economics "A" level every year until he passes.

nodumsunreader,

You are right, st is down right unamerican,

sorry - not British, to keep encouraging this kind

of terrorist attack on House Price Inflation.

We should all repeat 20 times a day the mantra:

'House prices go up for ever'

(which curiously almost rhymes with

'Four legs good two legs better)

:o

ABB

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

Guest muttley

Gordon Brown will be forced to take an Economics "A" level every year until he passes.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was hoping for a quicker resolution!

I dont think for one minute that all the posters here can CAUSE the crash.

If you look at the web page title its http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk - Will there be a house price crash?

It is a discussion site. The majority of people on here believe there will be. What makes it different to shagging pig and C4's 'whats the best curtains for a bedroom' site is we tend to post ALL the factors that point towards the CRASH that IS happening now! I could argue that Im the best 'shag' in my city, but without people backing it up I would be laughed at. This subject is NO DIFFERENT.

Whilst there are limited few that will back up their views on WHY prices will "always" rise I would say 95% are not programmed for questions. For example, my GF went to her mothers yesterday. She stated to here daughter that she seen on the news that houseprices are back up again. Your best just buying now! FFS Halifax said that there was 0% rise. Therefore it is going down on their indices coz thy had 1.2 in august and 1% RISES in September (Roughly). So 0% is actually more of a drop.

They could have called 'HP's have dropped 1% from last month. 'HP's have rose 3.8% this year but this is 12% down on last year. But they dont. People just hear, houseprices UP 3.6% YoY.

We need high interest rates and a bit of CREDIT realisation imho. These people need to read the stories and not just the headlines. When the crunch starts affecting them they may realise that DEBT is a BIG PROBLEM.

Anyways, back to the thread. If the EA's and BANKS didnt keep talking the market UP then there would have been a 'softish landing' but it was not until this month that they are trying o talk the market down a little bit. Denial can go NO FURTHER so they have to compromise. This is going to BANG big time imho.

So when we get our recession, when your getting CCJ's or repossessions. Think to yourself. Why are people so in debt? That's simple: RIP-OFF BRITAIN, UNREALISTIC HOUSING, EASY CREDIT. All of these factors are available to everyone.

I will not be caught in this becuase I DID NOT believe in a free ticket. I have No Debts now, I have savings and I refuse to be ripped off. So all those people who are SO RICH in this false economy are going to get the shock of their lives over the next few years. This is probably 70-80% of the populus unfortunately and it is these people that STILL BELIEVE prices only go up.

This sites gonna be full of members in the next 2 years!!!

WHY DIDNT YOU WARN ME???

For some time I have felt that the real purpose of this site was not only to try to balance the views on the housing market from the perspective of the FTB (or should I say would be FTB), but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur.

That's rather like bringing the Mountain to Mohammed don't you think? The market is a huge beast, regardless of the best PR powers ultimately you cannot counter the market eitherway, look at all the newspaper cuttings from the early 90's, it was all very much in the vain of "house prices set to recover next year" but in the end the market did what it had to do and corrected anyway, at the best you can maybe put off the day slightly.

The V.I's have huge influence compared to this site yet we've seen volumes half and HPI go from >20% per annum to barely above inflation if you believe the weightings in the figures, if they cannot spin their way out of trouble then attributing any future problems or pain to this site is rather dubious. Our ringing of the klaxon will help some people get out of the way of the avalanche, you could argue that ringing siren precipitated the avalanche but that kind of ignores who left the snow in such a precarious position with so many people in its path.

In a interview Kirsty commented on this site along the lines of "it's really nasty that people are talking down the market", on another interview on the radio somebody asked if her programme ramped the market and she commented "the market is too large for us to have an impact", so if she believes that about a primetime programme watched by millions of people then where does that leave this site?

If you want somebody to blame just look at the people who got us in this mess, don't shoot the messenger. The press, banks and estate agents even politicians for that matter are all victims of fortune, so are we.

Guest pioneer31

For some time I have felt that the real purpose of this site was not only to try to balance the views on the housing market from the perspective of the FTB (or should I say would be FTB), but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur.

Is this such a bad thing? If we don't have a crash, how do you see the future of this country? Millions will be unable to settle, the already well underway brain drain will continue until this place consists of nothing more than DSS'ers, illegal immigrants and crooks. We're not far off that now!!

If the UK is to have any fighting chance of competing in the world market, it needs to create an incentive for people to come and settle here. I don't see many (if any) incentives around any more, do you?

You think we are doomed if we have a crash, well, we are certainly doomed if we don't

I've heard of people talking down the market by 60%. If this were to happen, do you really believe you would have the income to buy, even at the lower level? The chances are that most of you would become unemployed for a very long time

were most people unemployed during the last housing crash? and can you define most as a % of the workforce.

Edited by pioneer31

I agree with what you say about a house price crash having a disastrous effect on our economy, and the fact that I am currently looking for a job makes me worried (although I have received an offer, and it is in pharmaceutical sector which is fairly recession proof, although until I start work I won't relax). All the same, a crash is inevitable. In spite of positive figures from Halifax and Nationwide, the fact remains that the market has absorbed all the money that is avialable. Credit will not get much cheaper than it is, and our nation is just about mortgaged to the max at current interest rate levels. Due to demographics, and student loans etc, there is going to be a dearth of FTBs over the next few years, also BTL is going out of fashion so demand will not meet the growing supply of new build two bed flats. The bottom of the market will get much cheaper over the next few years, so the rest of the market will follow, once that happens, sentiment evaporates, the economy follows bla bla.

What I'm trying to say is, we aren't talking the economy down, we are a group of people who can see what is going on and want to share our concerns with like minded people, and in doing so gain security from the feeling that we are not alone in thinking those thoughts. Before I came to HPC, I had worked all the stuff we talk about out for myself, but I thought i was the only person in the world who thought it! In that position I doubted what I sensed to be true, but when I came to this site, I realised that many others thought the same way, and most of those people are intelligent and balanced (on the face of it), and people whose opinions I would value more than the majority view, or sheeple view.

Whether we want the market to crash or not will not change anything, the fact is it is now inevitable, and recent data is the last gasp of easy credit into the system, mopping up the few waverers who have been sitting on the sidelines and can afford to buy, before the whole lot finally tumbles down.

For some time I have felt that the real purpose of this site was not only to try to balance the views on the housing market from the perspective of the FTB (or should I say would be FTB), but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur. Recent threads seem to confirm this.

Honestly! Trying to stop the inevitable crash is like trying to stop an express train. I just use this site for group support to help me stay out of a pokey little studio for 105K in Zone 3. But in anycase I have never disagreed that I have a VI that obviously doesn't concur with yours. I remember raising the 60% Japanese crash at one stage. And yes I am hoping it plays out the same way here. And quite frankly if it did I could take a 20% paycut and still be better off. If I have in some small way contributed to a crash then good. Do you own your own house? Then your not my problem. If the 70 odd percent who own continue to own they will be largely unaffected by a crash. The value of the house you live in is ultimately illusory and based on confidence, just like the stock market, but that illusion is affecting my ability to find housing security. Viva la HPC.

This site could never in a million years incite a 'crash'. nobody can, not even The Sun or The Daily Mail.

If you look back at the historical postings you will see that the issues of mass unemployment, a protracted and painful 'correction' have been discussed frequently.

As a landlord and bull (a rare breed on this site, I know) I can tell you with absolute certaintity that I am NOT looking forward to what is going to happen. I am NOT rubbing my hands together waiting for all those that bought at the peak to fall, am NOT wishing the UK economy into depression..... All those people that spent more than they earned have done that.

I have been aware of the debt burden on UK plc for some time and have made my own arrangements to weather this particular storm....and that involved selling some property.

Wil I buy back into property? YES.....but not now. I can make more money each week working at McDonalds than I could if I bought 10 properties to rent out today.

What you have here is a lot people who are feeling a little out of kilter with todays mindset - not unlike the 'Kings new clothes' story.

Something doesnt quite fit......where is all this money coming from? who's going to pay it back? How can it be paid back?

If you feel this site is trying to encourage a crash, thats fine, you have an opinion like everyone else.....but it doesnt get round the problem of basic economics does it?

create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur.

1 . If the housing market is so fragile as to be open to the influence of a couple hundred forum posters, anything could cause a crash. Yet your obvious concern suggests this is how you see the market: bad news for bulls indeed!

2 . Although bulls have accused HPCers of many things, poor intellect was never one of them. Do you honestly believe that anyone of average intelligence or above, hell bent on market manipulation would, from all the markets available, including the unlisted securities market where shareholders are numbered in their hundreds, choose the housing market to make money?

Twerp is such an underused insult. I feel an intense urge to change that.

You don't seriously believe that this site has the power to influence the market do you?

I dont think for one minute that all the posters here can CAUSE the crash.

If you look at the web page title its http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk - Will there be a house price crash?

It is a discussion site. The majority of people on here believe there will be. What makes it different to shagging pig and C4's 'whats the best curtains for a bedroom' site is we tend to post ALL the factors that point towards the CRASH that IS happening now! I could argue that Im the best 'shag' in my city, but without people backing it up I would be laughed at. This subject is NO DIFFERENT.

Whilst there are limited few that will back up their views on WHY prices will "always" rise I would say 95% are not programmed for questions. For example, my GF went to her mothers yesterday. She stated to here daughter that she seen on the news that houseprices are back up again. Your best just buying now! FFS Halifax said that there was 0% rise. Therefore it is going down on their indices coz thy had 1.2 in august and 1% RISES in September (Roughly). So 0% is actually more of a drop.

They could have called 'HP's have dropped 1% from last month. 'HP's have rose 3.8% this year but this is 12% down on last year. But they dont. People just hear, houseprices UP 3.6% YoY.

We need high interest rates and a bit of CREDIT realisation imho. These people need to read the stories and not just the headlines. When the crunch starts affecting them they may realise that DEBT is a BIG PROBLEM.

Anyways, back to the thread. If the EA's and BANKS didnt keep talking the market UP then there would have been a 'softish landing' but it was not until this month that they are trying o talk the market down a little bit. Denial can go NO FURTHER so they have to compromise. This is going to BANG big time imho.

So when we get our recession, when your getting CCJ's or repossessions. Think to yourself. Why are people so in debt? That's simple: RIP-OFF BRITAIN, UNREALISTIC HOUSING, EASY CREDIT. All of these factors are available to everyone.

I will not be caught in this becuase I DID NOT believe in a free ticket. I have No Debts now, I have savings and I refuse to be ripped off. So all those people who are SO RICH in this false economy are going to get the shock of their lives over the next few years. This is probably 70-80% of the populus unfortunately and it is these people that STILL BELIEVE prices only go up.

This sites gonna be full of members in the next 2 years!!!

WHY DIDNT YOU WARN ME???

Well said teddyboy!!! It is INCRDEDIBLE how stupid people are -- they really really DO think prices just go up forever!!! It is stupifying!! ANd yes - watch this space over the next 2 years. The bankruptcy thing we see today has been entirely predictable - and is a direct result of the stupid, insane, laughable price of property. You are VERY wise to just utterly refuse to be ripped off - and as time goes on - as a person without debt etc. - you will be one of the few better off........ Good luck - and superb post.

For some time I have felt that the real purpose of this site was not only to try to balance the views on the housing market from the perspective of the FTB (or should I say would be FTB), but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur ...

Even if that was the case, So What ?

Why is it evil / bad to promote a crash, but noble / good to promote a boom ?

JamesP

I have decided to demolish the global market for food, with my new site:

www.foodpricecrash.com

and I have prevented that looming winter energy crisis they're talking about by setting up www.oilpricecrash.co.uk.

(Durch take note - you should not be using our powers for evil)

Edited by North London Rent Girl

Since we have discovered the magical powers of websites ending in 'crash', and since I discovered that HPCers do not like speed cameras (who does, apart from me?), I propose nocarcrash.co.uk which would magically eliminate prangs and therefore the need for those pesky Gatsos.

I discovered that HPCers do not like speed cameras (who does, apart from me?),.

I love them.

Anyone argueing against is a one of those people that think car prangs are 'accidents' when in actual fact 99% could have been avoided had the driver given himself the correct space and time to react, and had maximised his visibility and intentions.

It was only my fears for the hungry that made me pull my earlier www.foodpriceboom.com masterplan. :)

Oohhh, I see - I thought you were just speculatively toying with the global food chain - had maybe sold all your food high and were going to stay out of the market until the crash kicked in so that you could get a lot more for your money when you next did a shop. Hard not to tinker like that when one wields this kind of power, hey?

...but to attempt to create a crash where no crash would otherwise occur...

This site will not cause any crash. How about all those "end times" sites? They haven't caused the end of times. What about the alien visitor sites? They haven't caused aliens to show up.