House Price Crash Forum

Guardian Steps Up Pressure For Staff To Volunteer For Redundancy

easy2012

HOLA441
HOLA442

The trougher-in-chief at the Guardian, Alan Rusbridger, rakes in half a million pounds a year for reprinting press releases from the Labour Party. He's being paid an obscene amount of money to drive the paper into the ground. No one needs to lose their job; he needs to take a pay cut. Okay, Polly Toynbee should lose her job, but that's a different story.

HOLA443

They need to follow their own policies. They must therefore borrow more to invest and get their revenues up - I'm sure that can only be successful. They can also follow their own policies by not being owned (or their building being owned) by offshore companies. :rolleyes: Bunch of ******ing hypocrits.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest TheBlueCat

I'm never sure whether to 'fess up that Ms Toynbee is a friend of the family... probably best not...

Jimmy Saville was a friend of my family if that makes you feel any better.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Do you get to holiday at her Tuscan villa? ;)

I suppose one should ask, how do you find her?

Peter.

TBH I haven't seen her for probably ten years (her mum was a very close friend of my mum, but she died several years ago), but she always seemed very nice. Never been to the villa... I'm sure that's very nice too... ;)

edit to add - I have to say I've no idea what I'd say to her if we met these days - I do find most of what she writes to be complete drivel...

Edited by tomandlu

HOLA4410

TBH I haven't seen her for probably ten years (her mum was a very close friend of my mum, but she died several years ago), but she always seemed very nice. Never been to the villa... I'm sure that's very nice too... ;)

edit to add - I have to say I've no idea what I'd say to her if we met these days - I do find most of what she writes to be complete drivel...

I suspect that most people are okay/nice and they'd write complete drivel too if they had to turn out article after article.... :lol:

Peter.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest TheBlueCat

Yes - yes it does... err, was he a 'close' friend? ;)

Hugely distant glad to say! He went to school with a great-uncle that I met once in around 1978 - I only found out about it a couple of weeks ago when my mum mentioned it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

When the forces that be turn a country's currency into toilet paper there is no money for newspapers.

I've not bought a newspaper for years.

Now with FLS shit in the air and hugely negative returns I;m off all out spending strike, in fact I'm selling stuff off, if I can do it negative discretionary spending is my goal.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4422

Compulsory redundancy is a legal nightmare, so the payoffs you see for voluntary redundancy can be quite obscene.

Is this not a beautiful irony? The newspaper that fought for years for layer after layer of beureaucratic brakes to be placed on nasty capitalist companies is stuck having to beg people to leave with wheelbarrows of cash because sacking them - presumably even widely hated ones such as Polly T - is too difficult.

Plus - and icing on the cake - at least some of those that lose their jobs/leave will find that i) their payoff doesnt go far because of the devaluation of the pound and high survival costs as discussed ad nasuem on other threadfs; ii) competition for new jobs in the real world is intense, in part because of open immigration policies.

:lol:

and I know I can'y spell beauractracitic. It's one of my two blindspot words.

Edited by wherebee