House Price Crash Forum

Ryanair Hatefest In 'the Observer' )

Time To Rename Ryanair, Twatair?

This question is posed in a Ryanair rant in The Observer's 'Comment Is Free' today.

Nearly everyone has a Ryanair horror story to tell, so the article has wide appeal.

But I think the point is best made by one of the commenters:

Ryanair is simply at the forefront of modern capitalism where instead of competing to be the best, everybody competes to be equally shit. Customers are not there to be wooed, they are there to be exploited and fleeced as comprehensively as possible.

I find some affinity with this view. Supermarkets excel at shafting their staff and suppliers too, while claims of being 'cheap' are equally weasel-worded.

Anyone think companies might have actually contributed to the recession by pi$$ing off consumers, big time?

Edited by copydude
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Airfare is something the mass of consumers has decided they will always choose the cheapest option. Nearly everyone who travels brags about what a good deal they got on air tickets. They go online and price compare and choose the cheapest. So Ryanair makes sure they do whatever it takes to be the sh#tiest service, and their competitors try to out do them, by being absolutely garbage.

Even if the choices are £240, £255, £270.. the consumers will choose the 240 choice.

But in other areas of life people are different. For example when buying coffee not many people choose whatever is the cheapest option with no regard to the quality or taste. If they did, we would be having ghetto coffee with like sawdust and coal ash mixed in. Whatever the regulatory maximum coal ash allowed in the coffee grinds that is what they would go to.

Anyone think companies might have actually contributed to the recession by pi$$ing off consumers, big time?

I think the use of brands and other psychological ploys has allowed many businesses to break any link between price and value.

Ryanair and Easyjet are a pain, and both strive to "look cheap" to create the illusion of good value, but it's impossible not to agree that they shook up the airline industry.

Airfare is something the mass of consumers has decided they will always choose the cheapest option. Nearly everyone who travels brags about what a good deal they got on air tickets. They go online and price compare and choose the cheapest. So Ryanair makes sure they do whatever it takes to be the sh#tiest service, and their competitors try to out do them, by being absolutely garbage.

Even if the choices are £240, £255, £270.. the consumers will choose the 240 choice.

But in other areas of life people are different. For example when buying coffee not many people choose whatever is the cheapest option with no regard to the quality or taste. If they did, we would be having ghetto coffee with like sawdust and coal ash mixed in. Whatever the regulatory maximum coal ash allowed in the coffee grinds that is what they would go to.

I'd agree. Pay for quality, and now with all this online feedback - good reviews. There's no excuse for getting crap service and complaining about it. You know what you are getting into.

I'd agree. Pay for quality, and now with all this online feedback - good reviews. There's no excuse for getting crap service and complaining about it. You know what you are getting into.

It's an imperfect market with not much choice in routes.

I have managed not to fly Ryanair so far in my life, though and intend to keep it that way.

Easyjet are trying to improve by allocating seats now - much better and should have done it years ago.

thing is, the travel part of your trip is not a pleasure in the air these days...its a chore..parking, security, frisking, waiting around, cramped space,

people dont like paying for a chore...and if the experience is equally as bad whomever you go with, price IS the only differentiator

Now, if it was a pleasure and part of the experience in a good way...

Time To Rename Ryanair, Twatair?

This question is posed in a Ryanair rant in The Observer's 'Comment Is Free' today.

Nearly everyone has a Ryanair horror story to tell, so the article has wide appeal.

But I think the point is best made by one of the commenters:

I find some affinity with this view. Supermarkets excel at shafting their staff and suppliers too, while claims of being 'cheap' are equally weasel-worded.

I often wonder about this. EG I avoid my local Asda because I could see that they were loss leading and overcharging for little things they could get away with - and doing the old Was 89p - now 59p trick with their own brand cola (own brand has hovered about 50-60p in all supermarkets for the last couple of years). Minor thing, but I wouldn't trust a person who acted like that, so moved my shop to LIDL.

DO people like me matter? Clearly not as Asda and Teso are still at it left right and centre, but I reckon they've lost around 1-2k over the last couple of years from my custom. Must not be shafting their customers enough to make up the difference. That's all I can assume.

thing is, the travel part of your trip is not a pleasure in the air these days...its a chore..parking, security, frisking, waiting around, cramped space,

people dont like paying for a chore...and if the experience is equally as bad whomever you go with, price IS the only differentiator

Now, if it was a pleasure and part of the experience in a good way...

+1

e.g. Stansted airport, in a classic example of rent-seeking, now ban you from dropping off people in front of the airport terminal - you have to pay £2 for the privilege.

So you're treated like scum before you even enter the airport building. Then you're treated like scum in customs.

Paying extra for a pleasant flight frankly feels like putting lipstick on a pig.

+1

e.g. Stansted airport, in a classic example of rent-seeking, now ban you from dropping off people in front of the airport terminal - you have to pay £2 for the privilege.

Someone should organise a flash mob thing where they drop off a few hundred people at the gates and let them walk in with all their suitcases. You might be able to get enough of a traffic jam that everyone else arriving would have to do the same

Airline customers have choices. Pay for Business Class on a top airline, or if you dont want to pay more, travel less. Or go by train, or cycle, or walk.

Supermarket customers have choices. Pay for quality local organic produce from your local farmers market or farm shop. Or go to an upmarket deli or Waitrose or Fortnum & Mason. Or, if you don't want to pay more, eat less. Or grow your own veg, or go out foraging for berries in the hedgerows, and go fishing in the local river.

Instead of ranting against private companies offering an optional service, how about ranting against things that are not optional. Council Tax payers don't exactly have much choice do they? Opt to be increased a band to get priority bin emptying and your pavement gritted earlier in the cold weather?

Has anyone here ever flown Ryanair when there was another airline they could have used? I can understand using them when they're the only airline that fly direct to somewhere, but otherwise it doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that they're not materially cheaper than other airlines and, if even the slightest thing goes wrong, will often end up being very much more expensive.

Someone should organise a flash mob thing where they drop off a few hundred people at the gates and let them walk in with all their suitcases. You might be able to get enough of a traffic jam that everyone else arriving would have to do the same

Bournemouth Airport put big signs up saying it's prohibited to walk in, at the same time as introducing drop off charges. Oddly enough about the same time their expensive new terminal was built.

They've also added fencing to ensure that anyone who does try and walk in has to use the road, and no vehicles can pass anyone doing so, as there's a fence down the middle too. It's quite funny to watch, really.

I think all the things that Ryanair are naff but I like them as an airline. They get you from A to B which are normally small airports which I much prefer very efficiently at a ridiculously cheap price if you have some flexibility and book ahead. Surely commuting to London and standing for half an hour 5 times a days is a million times worse as a counter example. I'm sure it is O'Leary himself that generates a significant amount of the hate but I'm guessing the publicity he gets off the back of it is worth it to the business, I bet these rants against them are good for business too.

Airline customers have choices. Pay for Business Class on a top airline, or if you dont want to pay more, travel less. Or go by train, or cycle, or walk.

Supermarket customers have choices. Pay for quality local organic produce from your local farmers market or farm shop. Or go to an upmarket deli or Waitrose or Fortnum & Mason. Or, if you don't want to pay more, eat less. Or grow your own veg, or go out foraging for berries in the hedgerows, and go fishing in the local river.

Instead of ranting against private companies offering an optional service, how about ranting against things that are not optional. Council Tax payers don't exactly have much choice do they? Opt to be increased a band to get priority bin emptying and your pavement gritted earlier in the cold weather?

+1

They are a ridiculous company to target. Very easy to avoid yet obviously do offer something different than British Airways etc.

The author does claim that the company on which Ryanair's business model is based, Southwest Airlines, is, in fact, not shite.

Suggesting that you can successfully run a budget airline and not treat your customers like crap.

I had the pleasure of taking a Southwest Airlines return flight from LA to Vegas last month and they were excellent! Checked in outside, in the sunshine, at both airports with no queues. No need to print a boarding pass - just have ID and the booking number. 2 X 50lb bags included (3rd 50lb bag $50), 2 X cabin bags, free in-flight soft drinks or coffee. They even threw in some peanuts. Alcoholic drinks were extra, as was in-flight wi-fi ($5) and live TV ($6). No extras when booking - no credit card fees, luggage fees, etc. Really good humored, cheerful and pleasant staff. The contrast with ryanair was striking.

Bournemouth Airport put big signs up saying it's prohibited to walk in, at the same time as introducing drop off charges. Oddly enough about the same time their expensive new terminal was built.

They've also added fencing to ensure that anyone who does try and walk in has to use the road, and no vehicles can pass anyone doing so, as there's a fence down the middle too. It's quite funny to watch, really.

How do they actually charge drop off charges? If you're dropping someone else off, how do you pay? Is there now a barrier and ticket system?

I had the pleasure of taking a Southwest Airlines return flight from LA to Vegas last month and they were excellent! Checked in outside, in the sunshine, at both airports with no queues. No need to print a boarding pass - just have ID and the booking number. 2 X 50lb bags included (3rd 50lb bag $50), 2 X cabin bags, free in-flight soft drinks or coffee. They even threw in some peanuts. Alcoholic drinks were extra, as was in-flight wi-fi ($5) and live TV ($6). No extras when booking - no credit card fees, luggage fees, etc. Really good humored, cheerful and pleasant staff. The contrast with ryanair was striking.

I do agree that Southwest should be the model that people should follow. Flew quite a few times last year with them and they were excellent, without all the patronising stuff Ryanair throw at you.

A simple choice. If yopu don't like it, don't use them. Ryan will change his tune as quickly as Starbucks start paying more taxes if enough consumers show their displeasure.

They won't however - we all love a bargain don't we!

One other possibility that Ryan and anyone who loves to 'stick it to the man'. He had better hope he never has a fatal accident on his hands. Regardless of if it was Ryanair's fault or not, a great many people in the press and other places he has p*ssed off would tear him and his company to pieces, rightly or not. This is why I always believe being accomodating is far more productive - you get cut some slack if you screw up then.....