House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Fed Up Waiting For A Crash?

The whole point of PR is to influence behaviours, attitudes and perceptions and the VIs are winning the war at the moment. However, all that this will mean, in my opinion, is that a higher number of people will be burned by the HPC when it comes, as it surely will.

The VIs PR efforts are holding a severe crash off for the time being. If you find the situation frustrating and don't want to continue to wait for a crash, how about joining the PR battle? Why don't we attach a do-your-own PR Resource section to this Web site with tips, media contacts, etc. listed. Perhaps a group of us could commit to a few hours of media relation work each week? Any thoughts on this Moderators?

Guest consa

The whole point of PR is to influence behaviours, attitudes and perceptions and the VIs are winning the war at the moment. However, all that this will mean, in my opinion, is that a higher number of people will be burned by the HPC when it comes, as it surely will.

The VIs PR efforts are holding a severe crash off for the time being. If you find the situation frustrating and don't want to continue to wait for a crash, how about joining the PR battle? Why don't we attach a do-your-own PR Resource section to this Web site with tips, media contacts, etc. listed. Perhaps a group of us could commit to a few hours of media relation work each week? Any thoughts on this Moderators?

A weekly newsletter would be good giving a roundup of all events, I would be willing to assist

http://prweb.com/

How about a short (3-400 word) news release every couple of weeks / piggybacking on relevant news stories, to summarise all the negative news on housing - core information - sent to all national press. Media spokesman/woman could be Consa / Dr Bubb / whoever?

We could also produce a news release template / guidance, to help other HPCers get their stories in to the local press, and summarise the results on a 'pinned' thread or something.

Also a lobbying section would be useful - listing all MPs, AMs, MSPs, etc. together with e-mailable letter templates, and a list of response, so we can track success.

Edited by gruffydd

I'll be willing to help with whatever comes of this, but due to business commitments, am already working joke hours, so if someone else would like to lead this? Volunteers please. I can commit an hour or two a week. I'm not sure we'd have to set up an organisation formally - perhaps we just need a name and someone with a good knowledge of housing issues and economics to front it?

Edited by gruffydd

Letter to MPs complaining about the current situation.

If we could draft a good template here that people could send off, it might be easier to get done.

MPs do take their letters seriously, I had something back from Kate Hoey only the other week.

What we need to do is be more upfront with them; this isn't just a "lack of supply" issue, this is very dangerous territory for all concerned.

Thoughts?

Guest consa

How about a short (3-400 word) news release every couple of weeks to summarise all the negative news on housing - core information - sent to all national press. Media spokesman/woman could be Consa / Dr Bubb / whoever?

We could also produce a news release template / guidance, to help other HPCers get their stories in to the local press, and summarise the results on a 'pinned' thread or something.

I don't mind, but I am sure there are others who may be willing to be spokesman/Woman, any nominations anyone? maybe have a vote after nominations, input from HPC Webmaster & co would be appreciated and if this is serious maybe pinning this pre subforum would be good, Mods?

1. House prices wont collapse or even correct until a serious and conspicuous downturn in the economy.

2. This PR campaign sounds really good. There are too many vested interest groups.

Count me in.

1. House prices wont collapse or even correct until a serious and conspicuous downturn in the economy.

2. This PR campaign sounds really good. There are too many vested interest groups.

Count me in.

superb idea - I would like to help wherever possible too.

Beware though! Any such organisation (and especially people fronting it) will come in for some serious flak after the crash starts - it will be easier for disgruntled repossessees, bankrupts and negative equiteers to blame us than themselves

You will also need to provide a balanced view, to enable yourself to be taken seriously.

A balanced view isn't needed when it's 2002/2003 and you're getting "Richer" by the year, but it will be needed if you want to tell people of fourth coming issues and possibilities or you will just be mocked for scaremongering.

:)

Hi,

Why don't you organise a march on parliment? You need to get media coverage, maybe even a gimmicky media stunt or two. I am not suggesting you dress up as batman and robin and stand astride nelson but the VI spin is immense and just think about it, how many people do you meet in every day life who think it is now a damaging problem? Or that at some point, under the current game of HPI musical chairs, when the music stops playing, some people will be left holding a huge parcel of tripe. Alot, I would suggest. Inflation is damaging to economies and society at somepoint. It certainly always seems to lead to social unrest or political extremism when it goes unchecked. It is a massive problem now. The groundswell of support already exists, that is for sure, there just isn't a voice or access to the media. You need to get creative, poll the range of professions on this forum and others, sometimes really useful contributions can come from right under your nose. Like most things in life, I guess someone needs to get off their a3se and get the ball rolling. Remember also you are fighting a poltical battle. The immense HPI of the UK economy was a happy solution to NuLab's pension fiasco, it definitely helped with the reelection when BTL made up the losses people suffered on the pensions frauds.

Boomer

I don’t think we would be taken seriously – the majority of posts on this site tend to ignore rational analysis, graphs, and technical indicators, and focus more on doom mongering, bull/bear cat fights, and political and anti-VI diatribe – even ITV recently said ‘a typically downbeat view’ from HPC; unfortunately we are still regarded as the loony fringe and still seem happy to play that role. :(

Edited by spline

Guest consa

OK, so we need:

1) Maximum Impact

2) Balanced View in our favour :)

3) ..............TBC

Also the subjects to cover:

1) House prices - The real news ie: EA Closures etc and anything we can get our hands on, all put together.

2) Employment- Public V Private sector budget targets & achievements

3) Business

4) Pensions & SIPPS

5) Manufacturing

6) Debt

7) Repossessions

8) Economic cycle

9) Bankruptcies

10) Global Influences

Well this is a start to get minds thinking, we will need a lot of input even the odd article, the more that contribute the better we can make it, so any ideas however irrelevant you may think it is may be useful.

11)................TBC

The BBC article showed that the Halifax, which had vbeen talking up prices all year finally admitted a zero growth.

Thats actually showing a dropping market.

anyway.. The VI's might be winning the spin..

but see how well they do when interest rates rise..

We are seeing more bankrupsies then since records began...?

Really..

at 4.5%

1.5% below average... and more then ever before...

Christ.. people are crying at 4.5%..

If it walks Like a Duck and talks Like a duck..

Chances are its a duck..

Interest rates are rising..

everyone expected a surge in house prices when they dropped to 4.5% and they did nothing..

Lets see what happens with higher rates

A week ago...

Three news reports on prime time TV talked about the current housing crash..

Interest rates are heading up..

and its all falling apart..

:)

The economy is driving down prices.. not some reporter.

I don’t think we would be taken seriously – the majority of posts on this site tend to ignore rational analysis, graphs, and technical indicators, and focus more on doom mongering, bull/bear cat fights, and political and anti-VI diatribe – even ITV recently said ‘a typically downbeat view’ from HPC; unfortunately we are still regarded as the loony fringe and still seem happy to play that role. :(

Sadly, I would agree. There is of course tremendous content within HPC, but to take on the VI’s and their media could easily backfire on the site, with the consequences that it could erode any covert media reputation it has built. The name itself inhibits growth beyond its initial remit, which I think is to be a knowledge and discussion site. I think HPC should continue in this manner. On the upside, if ITV picked up on HPC in the mostly postive manner that it did, then I’m sure other media would do the same.

However, perhaps under the guise of an umbrella group it can attempt to influence the media in some manner. It certainly needs a lot of discussion which could form the best strategy of action. I say this because this type of initiative has been mooted before, but from what I recall, it came to nothing. Saying that, I think the will is there, it just lacks a leader to maintain momentum and motivation!

Spline, I would also say to you that you shouldn’t be disheartened by the lack of perceived attention to the graphs, analysis etc. They, and your contributions to them, are valuable, in fact, perhaps essential if HPC is to increase credibility.

What d'ya mean? We'd be providing the media with balanced and accurate analysis - just like all the other experts.

of course! I just mean that we would need to be very wary of being seen to be talking down the market - to the extent that the people who suffer because of this could then say "it's those bloody 5th columnists fault"

you know how it is. For the same reason that an HPC is the elephant in the room the no-one dare mention... there is a risk that our PR frontman could be assaulted in the street by some loon who lost his shirt and thinks that it would all have been ok had it not been for those pesky HPCers.

Its the same underlying reason that the forum periodically attracts offensive bulls.

Count me in!

On another note is there any groups who would campaign for higher interest rates? E.g. The CBI keep campaigning for lower IRs!

I don't think it's about a PR game as such at the moment, the data points to a strengthening market. Approvals up, most indecies are positive YoY, inflation may have risen but will probably drop back and there simply isn't enough forced sellers to drive prices down heavily.

Wish I could buy at a decent price, but I don't think it will be happening any time soon.

liquid – You are, of course, right. The ITV report on repossessions did treat HPC quite favourably – the commentary “chimes with the downbeat analysis provided by HPC ... a site dedicated to gathering data on what they see as the coming property downturn” is actually quite flattering and uses restrained language, although they did rather mischievously linger on the thread titles: “Sorry But Some Of You Guys are Lying!” and “OMFG! Its Crashed – Its Crashed!”. :D

There is obviously some goodwill there for an analysis and commentary site – but I am not so sure about the idea of moving towards a campaigning group whose aims are to promote (or cause) a crash. It would smack of greedy self interest at the expense of other people’s misfortune.

I agree. If HPC starts campaigning, I'll stop posting and lurk anonymously.*

(*Not much of a threat for some, I'm sure. :D )

How about a HPC political party :D i think we've got a few people on here that could form a better cabinet than nulab or the tories!

Edited by mescalinemonkey

I don't think becoming political would be a good idea. This is a talking shop of like minded but diverse individuals. Safe and fun.

However, as HPC gets bigger and more members join it had occurred to me that bandwidth use is increasing and this must cost ££ to keep the forum going. I would cough up a brown envelope with a used fiver (or two) in it to keep this forum free of interference and help promote it.

The FTB has spoken by not buying. This has had little or no impact on the market however so what impact do you think words will have when money has failed to speak?