House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BoredTrainBuilder

Back To The Future

I have been saying for ages that it is looking more and more like a 1970's scenario. That was the last time we had strongly rising oil prices and a power economic force rising in the east. The similarities are very scarry. I am just old enough to remember thaose bad days. It was not nice. 2006 could be a very bad year indeed. The longer we put it off the hard the fall is going to be.

I love the 1970's, that was when my Dad bought his $8,000 house in Melbourne now worth $400,000

Assuming he was lucky enough for a kind building society manager to lend him money he will have had to pay double digit interest rates which meant the cost wasfront loaded whereas now they are back loaded. When will you get it into your ... skull that times have changed.

I think it was a good article, as I know nothing about the 70s.

I don't feel there was much of a conclusion... Investments are not everything, the question is "Will I be able to afford to live in the future?"

...erm nope!

we already had that.

now we get the re-run of iran/iraq war.

.....should last a couple of years and send commodities through the roof!

i said myself on a couple of earlier posts I was playing this one like '75-'89 in terms of investments.

bet looks good so far!

oh and for good measure,UK will get recession and as a result some new musical phenomenon(probably angry like punk this time),will transpire.

So for a conclusion how about :

Inflation is going to rip into the economy and TB's position will become unsustainable.

Mortgage rates will reach politically undesirable levels.

A sudden jump in interest rates of 4% within eight days may be required.

Banks will go under.

And property will slump.

I think a cunning plan is needed.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Is the UK Heading Back to the 1970s?

Just as long as 70s hairstyles don't come back in fashion!

I think the article was a great one.

To back it up - for every £10 you hold in savings, the BOE is currently printing £1.20, while giving you 47.5p back in interest.

Where do you think house prices will go under this onslaught?

Can mass immigration still lower real wages to cope with this?

Will people 'notice' that the two are related and unionise to give themsleves a future?

I liked the bit about how much property went up in the 70's.

Maybe 2006/7 is the next mega-bull run......... :D

I'm beginning to think that you're actually a wind-up merchant and not some property magnate after all. Hmm, I feel a bit silly for not recognising it before. Am I the only one?

Guest Bart of Darkness
I'm beginning to think that you're actually a wind-up merchant and not some property magnate after all. Hmm, I feel a bit silly for not recognising it before. Am I the only one?

To be fair he could be both, however we can at least see proof that he's a wind-up merchant.